ExploreDesert Goes Skamper

1MK

ExploreDesert
Just picked up my first camper and couldn't be more stoked. Been on my mind for quite some time on how versatile a popup camper would be in a offroad/adventure setting. Few weeks ago I began the process and started research - and of course found this sub-forum and gained a lot of motivation and reassurance.

If any of you follow ExploreDesert in any way, shape or form you'd know I sold my old Tacoma that was a full overland build and bought a F350. Mainly for the intent of towing our boat, future purchase of a 5th wheel and a camper was on my radar at the time too.

So anyways, week of browsing all the main classified platforms I got the itch and pulled the trigger on a 1990 Skamper 080s. I sure as hell didn't get anywhere close to the deal some of you are fessing up to, but it was within the budget and it's in pretty nice/solid condition.

I'm the 3rd owner, came with lots of original paperwork, original owner had the roof rebuilt in 2002 and the owner I picked up from had it resealed 8 months ago. Couple funky areas but doesn't seem like anything other than on the road fixes and the norm. Clean inside, no visible signs of leaking or rot. Few dings, dents and all the normal stuff you'd expect from something from 1990 but overall, she's solid!!!

Plans are to revamp the electrical system with accessory/gadget future proofing, inverter and possible solar, lighting, modular mounting/tie down system and refresh the interior with a fresh look.

Pretty stoked! Been through a lot of different setups throughout my life and it's kinda funny how something in the middle of all the extremes is sometimes the most exciting.

Leaving next Tuesday for the Eastern Sierra's and will be there through Sunday.

Can. Not. Wait!!!

Old owner pulling away. The whole tripod system is kinda sketch! Previous owner had build some jack extensions for taller trucks and they worked out perfect.
48135910993_9aba578013_k.jpg

48135910968_945cb35d8d_k.jpg

48135973762_26f5647cd6_k.jpg

48135877776_cb755f6976_k.jpg

48135973567_72c889c84d_k.jpg

48135877526_a268a1c659_k.jpg

48135973417_f21b184175_k.jpg

48135910553_03aca4e8e5_k.jpg

48135910488_377ee691bc_k.jpg

1MK

ExploreDesert
Well. Nothing like poking around a bit on your new purchase and opening pandora's box...

I had a gut feeling that something was rigged under the misc plates mounted to the exterior roof, but one of those things can't really pry it apart before you buy it.

Driver side rear corner - uh oh.

Skampy by Explore Desert, on Flickr

We planned on heading out this coming Tuesday for a week of exploring and relaxing the Eastern Sierra's, so finding this what gut wrenching. I could probably reassembly how it was being held together and get through the trip but it'd be on the back of my mind. Would also hate to see it get worse and be kicking myself in the ass.

So off went the roof.

Then off with the camper to go get supplies.

Laminated two pieces of 1/2 plywood to make the new inner structure. Test fit and continue the process into the night. Used constructive adhesive between the aluminum shell and the plywood and used every clamp I could find and let it cure until the next morning.

By mid-morning it was ready to go back on.

Caulked all the seams and sealed the roof. Still need to do some finish work on the corner pieces but it's back to be solid and ready for our trip.

Installed an inverter that powers the two plugs by the couch. Volt meter. Threw down some new flooring and painted the kitchin backsplash after removing the wallpaper. Wife got it all decorated and started dialing it in.

Just need to finish packing, charge camera gear and hit the road in a few hours.

Stoked!

1MK

ExploreDesert
First trip with ol' Skampy trip report.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles