ExploreDesert: 4th of July in the Eastern Sierra's

1MK

ExploreDesert
When we arrived at the trailhead, to no surprise parking was full so we ended up having to back down and squeeze into a offshoot a ways down the road. Although a bit busy on the trail, it was a nice hike with some postcard worthy views once at the top.

Ol’ Skampy just left of center​

Walking back to the truck after such a great hike we figured it’d be worth a shot to try and find room at one of the hot springs. Striking out at the main and easily accessible tubs, we ended up getting lucky at Sherpard’s Hot Spring almost having it all to ourselves for a decent amount of time before another group arrived – marking our time to get heading towards camp for the night.

A place I’ve been wanted to camp at for quite some time was calling my name, so off we went towards Mono Lake. Back across the 395, through the woods and over the hills we made our way towards Mono to spend our last night in the Eastern Sierra’s.

Mono Lake off in the distance​

The trail dropped us out by Mono Mills so we stopped to take a look. Ended up being a really cool exhibit with tons of old pictures and information, not only of the old mill that was once there, but of the surrounding areas as well.

1MK

ExploreDesert
Short distance away would be our home for the night. Complete with killer view, soft breeze and about perfect temperature. No complaints. Candace made a delicious dinner and not long after we ended up crashing for the night.

Bummed no astro shot to finish the trip off but gives me a reason to come back!

The day no one looks forward to. When and fun and peace of mind come to an end. When the thoughts of life’s responsibilities start creeping back into your head. We packed up and got on the road early to get home with time to unpack and unwind.

First trip with Skampy was a success and a real eye opener. I’d have to say it far exceeded my expectations in just about every aspect and haven’t even had the time to dial it in yet. It made this trip so easy and enjoyable Candace and I didn’t want to come back home and wished we could just continue exploring. Guess we’ll have to get back out there asap.

Until next time!

89rkrunner

Thank you for the trip report and pictures! As we are getting our rig together this an area that is defiantly on our list to go and explore. Pictures like this help speed up the process...

1MK

ExploreDesert
Thank you for the trip report and pictures! As we are getting our rig together this an area that is defiantly on our list to go and explore. Pictures like this help speed up the process...

You're welcome. Hope this helps in some way.

nomad661

Missed this when it was posted. Seems that I, as well as many, very much appreciate your time/effort/and great photos in your reports. So thanks for all that! A well written report is always a nice reminder to get my ass out there more often.

And yea, totally agree with the sentiments on the last day of such trips. It always comes too soon and reality is harsh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles