explore alone?

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Sharing, it's not just for breakfast anymore...

To me, the biggest reason to go with others is the sharing. It's like traveling through a postcard, and to be able to turn to you buddy and say "OMG! Did you see that!", while in the moment is priceless.
When I'm old-er and feable-er, I want someone who can tell me all the stuff I've forgot... ;)

So I first seek out like minded people, and if not available or not a comfortable fit, then go enjoy the world with my dog (where allowed).
Traveling with a dog puts a willing limit, that doesn't make me feel like I've missed out on something.

Happy Trails! :smiley_drive:

moabian

At nearly 68 years of age (more than 40 of that in Moab), 99.9% of my Jeeping has been alone...or with a beautiful lady riding shotgun. I have to laugh at (and feel sorry for) most folks in another forum who chant the mantra "Never Jeep Alone." Respect your limits. Know your route. And carry the proper equipment and supplies. The wilderness is not meant to be enjoyed with a crowd. That said, there ARE some people who should never wheel alone. We end up getting called to rescue many of them every year.

WeLikeCamping

Explorer
I used to solo all the time, but only occasionally now. When I go out solo, the primary concern is no risky stuff. I will do technical, but no rock-crawling or extremely steep, crumbly, or off-camber stuff. I always leave a map of the area I will be exploring/visiting and if I can, I will pinpoint my campsite on the map and describe my intended route. Then, I stick to that region. Most times, I will be able to get a cell signal somewhere, and I use that opportunity to check in and let the wife know that all is well. If I camp in a different location than originally indicated, I will text coordinates to the wife when I am able. I always have tools and spare parts, sufficient water, spare food, First Aid and survival equipment. And I always set a time limit for how long I will be out of touch and when I will return.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I do some solo exploring, or with my wife and son. Since we are one vehicle, out of communication range most of the time, (until I get a HAM installed), we are putting a delorme inreach in the rig. That way we can get help if really needed.

jaxyaks

Adventurer
I prefer to explore alone, I spent 30 days on a Triumph scrambler exploring the southwest and west...I'm still kicking...

4x4reedom

I don't understand what I see as the irrational fear of being alone.

Go where you want, when you want, according to your abilities. Be prepared.

Limits? Sure I set some. Here I am, nearly 60 years old, going on what I call the "little roads" for my entire adult life. Am still here.

It's quite possible to "what if" yourself into a corner. The world awaits. Enjoy.

Regards, Guy
So true, well said. I've driven across the Mojave in a stock JK Sport with Rubicon wheels/tires completely SOLO. Fear and worry is a funny thing.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
It may not be quite about off-roading what I am up to say here, but It could be interesting for some of you.

Last summer I walked and hitchhiked 12.000 across the US totally alone, and I have to say that it was the best moment in life. I changed for ever.
I walked along side the Pacific Ocean with my backpack on the shoulders and enjoyed the beauty of her...
I wandered alone in the wilderness of Montana and Washington and enjoyed the biggest sky and mountains...
I slept in middle of nowhere in N. Dakota and I saw the most beautiful starts ever...
Or next to the lighthouses of Maine...
Or walking thorough the blue mountains of Tennessee

There is nothing come closer to the feeling to be alone in a wilderness or road side.
Many people just afraid to stay alone, face to face with themselves.

junglecaptn

"He who dares, wins." SAS motto. Have been doing solo trips since I got out of the service years ago beginning with the John Muir trail. I love to plan and then execute trips according to the plan knowing I've considered contingencies that invariably arise. I think the SPOT is essential as far too many lost souls put their friends and family and SAR teams through hell cause they don't where to start looking. While living in the CO mountains I witnessed many times the volunteer SAR unit respond to lost hikers/climbers, some who were never located while family stood by.

I plan each item for my pack/vehicle based on the environment, time of year and physical requirements, and assuming all needs will be greater than planned. I buy good gear and vehicles as those are your lifeline when things go south. While I would prefer to do most trips with my spouse she does not appreciate some of the "character building tribulations" often encountered. But she does support me wholeheartedly and watches my SPOT locations and can identify and call the local authorities if I need assistance short of the 911 button.

There are times I would welcome a friend on solo trips but waiting until someone can get the schedule, etc. can rule out the trip altogether. I just plan trips and go, if someone I know is available that is good. But don't delay trips you can do - life is short and good health temporary.

WeLikeCamping

Explorer
Like that ^^^ :) solitude can often be a tremendously uplifting experience, other times a serious PITA, but always a great "character" builder.

Explorer 1

Explorer 1
I've never read a story written by anyone who went out alone and didn't make it back......................................

Best to not only have a SPOT but have it on tracker mode when traveling alone............hard to push the "911" button for 3 seconds when your unconscious.

"Go out and don't come back until you've had an adventure!"

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
I've specialized in solo hiking, backpacking, and multi-day 4WD trips. They are the most rewarding, by far. As stated by others, preparation is key to mitigating risk, and making the trips safe and enjoyable.

TreyP

I've ridden Motorcycles all over by myself, driven in a lot of places alone. But as I get older I find it more fun to go with at least one more vehicle. Mainly to just to have someone to enjoy the ride with. But I have no problem going it alone. I do prefer trails that are more likely to be run by others just incase.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles