Experience With Samson Saturn 12?

Howard70

Adventurer
Hello:

Anyone have experience with Samson Saturn 12 line? I'm specifically interested in how it splices & what splices you've used, how it stands up to abuse compared to regular Amsteel Blue, and if you know of a good source to purchase from (1/2" & 9/16")? I've used and spliced Amsteel Blue so I have a basic frame of reference.

Thanks in advance,

Howard

Low_Sky

Hello:

Anyone have experience with Samson Saturn 12 line? I'm specifically interested in how it splices & what splices you've used, how it stands up to abuse compared to regular Amsteel Blue, and if you know of a good source to purchase from (1/2" & 9/16")? I've used and spliced Amsteel Blue so I have a basic frame of reference.

Thanks in advance,

Howard

There are class II double braid splice instructions on Samson’s website. Splicing double braid is a lot more involved than single braid, but not impossible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Howard70

Adventurer
There are class II double braid splice instructions on Samson’s website. Splicing double braid is a lot more involved than single braid, but not impossible.

Hello Low Sky:

Thanks for pointing out Samson's documentation. I've used those instructions frequently when splicing Amsteel Blue. There is an implicit suggestion there that Saturn 12 ought to be spliced with a modified "Tuck/Bury" splice. I don't particularly like that splice so I'm hoping to hear from someone who has successfully used other techniques with Sarturn 12. Both Amsteel Blue and Saturn 12 are 12 strand single braid class II lines so I'm not sure why Samson doesn't mention the same splices for both. I'd guess that Saturn 12 could be slicker due to it's different coating?

Howard

Last edited:

Low_Sky

The pic in the link in your first post (Samson’s website) shows a double braid rope. Searching for it on its own, I see it’s a 12 strand single braid. I’ve never worked with it, but I don’t imagine it being much more difficult to handle than Amsteel or Amsteel Blue (which you know aren’t difficult). Looks like the only difference is the coating.

Howard70

Adventurer
The pic in the link in your first post (Samson’s website) shows a double braid rope.....

You're absolutely correct! Sorry about the confusion. While that complete page is about Saturn 12, the image in the banner across the top is another Samson line (double braid) hauling a BIG mining truck. Then in a smaller photo along the left is an actual image of Saturn 12 (single braid). As an side - you sound like someone who may enjoy splicing. In case you're interested, one of the climbing arborist forums has a sub forum on splicing - The House of Splice.

My interest in Saturn 12 stems from wanting to increase the diameter of the lines on front & rear winches of our truck. Because there isn't a hurry in completing the switch over, I'm casting about for the most suitable line to use. I like setting up my own lines rather than acquiring off the shelf products (doing my own isn't really less expensive - just more satisfying for me). I've used Amsteel Blue on two previous trucks and thought that the Samson Saturn 12 looked interesting (potential increases in durability as a winch line, etc.).

Thanks again for your help.

Howard

Low_Sky

I took a quick look online. I think you’ll have a hard time finding a vendor. All I was able to find was one retailer selling 600’ spools (call for pricing and availability), and some 1” off cuts on eBay.

If your goal is to increase the line size on your rig and Blue has worked for you in the past, why not stick with Blue?

For my own use, I’ve decided the cost of Amsteel isn’t worth it. A synthetic winch rope is a wear item, it doesn’t last for ever. I can buy off brand rope at about half the cost of Blue and I don’t replace it twice as often, so I come out ahead. Your budget and needs may differ, but that’s what works for me so I can actually afford to use my gear instead of babying it because I can’t stomach the cost the replace it.

Low_Sky

What brands do you like and what source ?

Doug

Assuming 3/8” rope:

Amsteelblue.com - $2.48/ft (reference)
Arcticwirerope.com UHMWPE 12 strand - $1.80/ft (local to me, use them for short lengths for rigging components)
Customsplice.com - $1.35/ft (approximate, calculated from finished rope prices)
Endless options on Amazon at or under $1/ft (calculated from finished ropes)

As far as the myriad Chinese 3/8” ropes on Amazon go, I’ve only handled one of them. A friend of mine ordered an Astra Depot main line and I helped him turn it into an extension. They are obviously built to a price point and the finishing items they come with are very cheap (I’d throw the hooks that come with these cheap ropes in the trash). The rope itself looked fine to me.

My next winch main line will probably be an Arachni Recovery Equipment (ARE Offroad) 7/16” double braid rope, bought through Amazon. I want to give double braid a try after I wear out my current rope to see if the increased durability of the sheath outweighs the more difficult splicing.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Did anyone ever get some Saturn-12 to play with. It seems like it would splice just like original Amsteel Blue from the pics. S-12 appears to be perfect for a soft shackle used for a Snatch Ring.

Howard70

Adventurer
Hello Beowulf:

I haven't obtained any Samson 12 yet, but it's still a plan. I agree that it ought to splice as Amsteel Blue. However, Samson recommends a modified tuck bury splice for Saturn 12. I'm guessing that is because the tuk bury splice uses less line. However, it is a lot more complex and time-consuming. Saturn 12 could be a good soft shackle line as you mention.

Howard

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Did anyone ever get some Saturn-12 to play with. It seems like it would splice just like original Amsteel Blue from the pics. S-12 appears to be perfect for a soft shackle used for a Snatch Ring.

Depending on the coating it might be worse for a snatch ring.

Regular UHWWPE has an incredibly low friction coefficient on a smooth metal surface.

It would be interesting to try, but I have not had any issues with the soft shackle having accelerated wear with a snatch ring.
Increasing the bearing surface to reduce interfacial PSI seems to help.
Most soft shackles on the market are built wrong for snatch ring use in my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles