Experience - Opinions on Linear Actuators

Bloomer

Researching linear actuators to open/close a heavy trailer lid (lid has tubular steel rack and RTT, with total weight nearing 500 lbs). Trailer will see offroad and highway use, and be exposed to all season weather (including rain and possibly snow). Actuators will be installed to exterior of trailer.

Looking for opinions on what others have used. Please share what you have used or have experience with, good and bad appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

ScottReb

Adventurer
Depends on price point. You have Linak as probably the best, and most expensive, then you have all the off shore knock offs. Firgelli is one of the larger names of knock off but they are remarkable similar to the ebay/amazon versions, except you have a resource for questions or returns. If you buy a knock off with the appropriate weather rating they will do fine for your application. If one goes out its not the end of the trip or anything like that.

Hoghead

Observer
I used ones from eBay and have had good and bad experiences. The fact that yours are going to be mounted inside the trailer is good and you probably won’t have to worry about getting a high IP rating. I have had to replace some of mine and in doing that have gotten some that were not so good. Mine are outside of the trailer though and I did have to leave it outside for one winter season. Actuators do complicate things though in needing 12v and if you can manage at all, I would try gas shocks first. FYI, I use actuators to lift my rack and RTT. My lid operates separately and uses gas shocks.

Bloomer

I used ones from eBay and have had good and bad experiences. The fact that yours are going to be mounted inside the trailer is good and you probably won’t have to worry about getting a high IP rating. I have had to replace some of mine and in doing that have gotten some that were not so good. Mine are outside of the trailer though and I did have to leave it outside for one winter season. Actuators do complicate things though in needing 12v and if you can manage at all, I would try gas shocks first. FYI, I use actuators to lift my rack and RTT. My lid operates separately and uses gas shocks.
Sorry, I may not have been clear but I plan to install on exterior, mainly so I can disconnect and still be able to open lid manually if there’s an issue with the actuators. Thanks for replying.

jays0n

Adventurer
I used 4 of the 16" stroke actuators from Windynation.com and have been happy with them so far. They are rated for up to 225 lbs and I have them mounted exterior to my trailer. I've had it in wet cold environments and haven't had any issues with the actuators. For the price I just grabbed a spare :)

shade

I thought about removing the lid but really like the security it provides.
It does look secure. If the trailer has a tailgate, a full bed slide could be added, and the lid could remain fixed.

If you keep the hinged top, it might be good to add at least one center prop as an optional safety support. That's a lot of potential energy waiting to drop if something goes wrong.

Bloomer

That's a lot of potential energy waiting to drop if something goes wrong.
That’s for sure. I’m careful opening and closing as within 2 feet of the opening there is little to no help from the assists. Had it opened last night and used the rack (as opposed to the handle on the lid) for opening and closing manually and the different leveraging points actually make a big difference on how easy (easy is misleading), less difficult, it is to open and close. Made me second guess, for just a second, the need for actuators.

Hoghead

Observer
Sorry, I may not have been clear but I plan to install on exterior, mainly so I can disconnect and still be able to open lid manually if there’s an issue with the actuators. Thanks for replying.

You were clear, I just didn’t pay close enough attention to your post. Sorry about that. Since the are going to be exterior, I would try to get some that are IP67 rated, but that may be difficult if on a budget. But try to get close. They also make little jackets that cover the motor and end of the common actuators to help keep water out.

dstock

Explorer
I used 4 of the 16" stroke actuators from Windynation.com and have been happy with them so far. They are rated for up to 225 lbs and I have them mounted exterior to my trailer. I've had it in wet cold environments and haven't had any issues with the actuators. For the price I just grabbed a spare :)

I've had the same on my trailer for the last couple years and they are still going strong. Great idea to have a spare on hand just in case!

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
I use Hydroworks ones from Princess Auto. They're cheap but been great. I have 4, one on each corner and good for a 280lb lift each. Not fast but does the job. They are tucked uip inside the tubing do not really exposed, but I have seen quite a few trailer builds with actuators on the exterior.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online