Experience of Daily driving a Ram HD on 37s+ with small lift

phsycle

Adventurer
Of course they add to the physical payload capacity. Safety sally's love to scream that they don't, but they absolutely do. It's kinda strange, jump on a tacoma forum and people have 3000lb hardside truck campers in the bed, but jump on a different forum and people say you can't put a four wheel camper in a half ton.

What airbags don't do, however, is increase the LEGAL payload capacity of a vehicle. If you roll the thing on the highway with a 4000lb truck camper in a truck with 2800lb's of payload, airbags or not, insurance will take you to task. As will the lawsuits of anyone you kill. 100% add airbags, but use them within reason. I like them as my truck no longer has the factory rake, so with 1200lb's in the bed the airbags prevent squat. As they do when I have a 10,000lb trailer behind me.

GVWR, which the payload is the derivative of, is not simply beefing up the suspension components. Many other factors come into play when a manufacturer determines the GVWR. Chassis, suspension, braking, etc.

Airbags certainly help carry a load but does not increase payload. Even if one were to somehow go through a re-cert process, GVWR would remain the same unless there were some other major changes to the components listed above.

rruff

Explorer
I was told that airbags won't "add to the payload capabilities", is that for legal reasons or something else?

The payload numbers are the manufacturer's legal liability values, not yours. Nothing you do to the truck will change those numbers.

But back in reality, tires and suspension will make a big difference in your truck's ability to handle a load.

UglyViking

Appreciate everyones feedback here. I dig some more digging and also noticed that the 2500 has a GAWR of ~6k per axle, however the GVWR is 10k exactly. From what I've started digging it seems that certain states have stricter requirements and taxes on vehicles over the 10k GVWR so I'm wondering if Ram simply lowered the number to have that as a benefit over the competition (softer ride and less in tax). I'm not an engineer so I'm not going to just blindly assume that is the case. As was stated earlier though a huge number of people vastly overload the payload capabilities of their trucks. As an example I've seen a lot of RTTs for midsize jeep/trucks that are just shy of 200lbs. If you take the fact that most jeep guys at least put larger tires on the truck, plus 2 people, tent, gear, etc. you're easily blowing past the payload (I think my wifes JL has somewhere around the mid 800 mark).

I'm less concerned that I'm going to go over by the same amount but it's good to hear some of the feedback on this forum.

If anyone else has feedback I'm all ears. I think at the moment I'm still unsure about the AEV lift + fender flares. I really like the look but I'm concerned about the daily usability of it. I think for the moment what I'm planning to do is a level (prob Carli or Thuren) 37x12.5x17s and prob a cap. This should give me a pretty solid amount of ground clearance, a softer ride by a lot, not markable hurt (if at all) the towing capability and still allow me to easily daily drive it, hunt/fish, range trips all that good jazz. Then, post warranty/paid off (I took a small loan since rates are so low and I've been doing rather well with the stock market) I can change up to a full AEV kit with 41s and high mark flares if I decide to go that route.

Again, anyone with experience or who can offer feedback please do. I'm pretty excited about the sheer amount of utility this truck is going to have for me. Only downside is that my access to a lot of trails in new england is pretty much non-existent now. That said, I can always get a smaller non-daily trail rig for that.

GreggNY

Are you running the 13.5 or 12.5 Toyos and do they rub the sway bar at all?

I went with the 12.5 because I was worried about rubbing and it was tough to find a straight answer on what would fit. There is a very slight rub on the sway bar only at full lock of the wheel, so it's really easy to avoid it. I also never load the truck super heavy or tow at all so figured the D rated would be fine. I'll go with a 13.5 E rated for the next set.

GreggNY

Firstly, beautiful truck and great photos. I'm in NH, so not too far from you as things go and have been chatting with my wife about doing basically this same trip but with a trailer (2 dogs, plus newborn). I'd love to know how you broke up the travel towards the west, how many days it took, etc.

Onto the truck, that's basically exactly the setup I'm considering (cap and all). Mine is a diesel so I don't have the factory 2", but with the AEV 3" lift that is only the difference of an inch which I can't think would be noticeable. I've seen a lot of guys do a level with 37s and I love the look. Less space between the top of the wheel well and top of the tire, but not sure if it would have enough travel for back roads. I don't take many/any technical trails and not looking to run moab with it. Mostly want the ability to deal with the standard offroad trail challenges. I think 37s would be more than enough for the task but I'm also a large child so is 37s who not 41s? Just wanting to make sure I don't ruin the daily drivability of the thing.

Can't wait to see more photos man, beautiful stuff.

Thanks for the compliments. I'll update my trip thread with the details of how I broke up my trip to not derail your thread too much from your original question. If I had a diesel, I'd be super tempted to go with the AEV flares and 40s, so you won't hear me trying to talk you out of it lol. That said, I'm pretty positive 37s are plenty. I don't want to put steps on it and my girlfriend already complains how tall the truck is. These things are pretty massive.

UglyViking

Yeah, agreed there. Not quite as tall as my lifted 1500 was but shockingly close for a factory truck. Can't wait to get this thing out on the road. Gonna take a little trip this weekend up to the white mountains I think. I'm thinking I'll do something pretty similar to what you have as a setup for now and I can always upgrade to the full aev setup once it's paid off and the itch starts again.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
250/2500's are derated to 10k# GVWR to stay class 2b for cheaper insurance, cheaper plates, cheaper tolls, and to please HOA's for people living in commie lands.

They're generally for people that max out half tons, or break the skinny drivetrains in half tons. They usually get softer rear springs, or lowered, less rake. You can also buy a F350 derated to 10k if you need the stiffer springs or rake.

My Honda CRF450R and Kayak more than make up for anything the truck lacks, because it doesn't fit somewhere.

4x4tripping

Adventurer
Tyre Size, Kind of tyres (AT/MT) and daily milage depends too on the country you live.

Driving 37" MTs on the German Highway limits your driving speed unnessesary. While cruising in the US with 60 Miles at the same time don`t hurt.

Too the Parking Issue counts - a liftet car can have issues with the possible hight clearance of some underground car parkings. Dont count if you life more abroad and never use them.

Too the vehicle will drink more fuel. The vehicle is more noisy too (not just outside), with a offroad tyre. Both dont hurt if you just use smaller and slower roads on your daily paths..

So the question and too the answers are very individual and not valid for all readers/drivers.

Surfy

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Get a Carli or Thuren lift and then add AirLift Load Lifter 5000 air bags with Daystar air bag cradles and enjoy.

D45

Explorer
I ran Toyo 37s on my daily driven old 2004 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 3500 (Long Bed), with the Cummins motor

They wore great, but the sidewalls were really stiff with the 20" setup I had (20x10)

The 13.50 wide tire was a MUCH better fit, in my opinion with the 37s

2004.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior