Experience of Daily driving a Ram HD on 37s+ with small lift

UglyViking

Hey all,

TL;DR - What's it like to daily a Ram HD with 37" or larger tires?

First post but have been lurking on the site for years and the forum for a while. I recently purchased a 2019 Ram 2500 diesel. I'm stoked to have the thing, wanted a fullsize diesel truck forever and was able to save up the nickels and make it happen. I'm coming to a 2500 from a 1500 GMC that was lifted with a 6" knuckle lift with 35s on 20s. I loved the truck but also realized a few things I didn't like, which I'll list below:
  • Had static side steps that weren't quite low enough so still a little bit of a "step" into the cab, nothing major.
  • Didn't ride great, not enough sidewall, springs were factory with spacers, shocks weren't great.
  • Bed was a pain in the rear to use since it was so tall. The bumper step helped but still a lot.
So, here I am with my dream truck, and a blank slate. My hope is to use this truck as both a daily driver (I've got a super short commute to the bus for when I'm not working at home, trips hunting/fishing/the range on the weekend, home depot runs) to tow a small-medium travel trailer a few times a year and also use it as a sort of overland/camp rig a few times a year through all seasons. That said, I'm also basically a 10 year old who loves big trucks and always wanted to drive a tonka truck.

I'm currently looking at doing one of a few things:
  • Carli level with 37s
  • AEV 3" DS lift with 37s to start, possibly moving to the fender flare kit with 40-41s in the future
My plan either way is to add a bed step for the rear and amp steps to the side so make usability on the truck better. I know that no matter what I do to the truck it's going to "ruin" the usability of the bed in favor of better offroading and looks. I'm ok with that to a point. At least from the basic math I've done it looks like the AEV lift with 41s will sit at about the same height as my 1500 in terms of overall lift, so that may already give me my answer. Really curious for anyone who is running 37s or larger as a daily driver. Especially interested in hearing from anyone who owns an AEV modified ram to let me know what life is like on 40s+.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I'd skip the bed steps, and just learn to walk up the rear tires.

The rest depends on alignment, installer competence, and tire selection. But both of those options that you listed are great, and there's people running each here.

ttengineer

Adventurer
I’m currently in a 3500 with the AEV DS on 37s. Love it. It rides rough on the stock springs though. So I plan on swapping the springs and shocks.

Handling is better due to the flipped drag link.

The total height of the truck on just 37s is just under 84” I think it’s 82.5 on my Nitto RG, but depending on tire choice YMMV.

If you’re looking for ride quality, go Carli.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaxG56

I'm running almost exactly what you are looking at for an option - 2017 Ram 2500 Megacab with 3" DS, 40" Toyo MT, Amp steps, bunch of other stuff like new gears, steering assist, lockers, etc..

If you have an instagram account my handle is the same as here PaxG56. I just started the account a few weeks ago to put pictures of the truck on it and some build details - 10s of followers :)

My feedback is that I've driven the truck over 35k miles in this configuration and towed a around 5k miles of that with probably a max load of around 12k lbs. I haven't noticed any difference in payload or towing but you have to make sure you have the right set up and tires. I also added a free spin kit on the front axle to give me peace of mind with the heavy tire/rim instead of the factory wheel bearing assembly. I daily drive this truck and haven't regretted the build after 2 years (owned for 3). If you have questions feel free to PM me or ask here or my IG account. I'm happy to share and I'm in VA if you happen to be on the east coast.

PaxG56

....and the lift is 3", tires are roughly 6" over stock so the total height different is 6" overall but those tires give it a look like it is a lot higher. Ram bumpers are already high so you'll need 12-14" drop hitch for lower trailers and ~10" for anything else. I use an adjustable Bulletproof hitch so I don't have to worry about it between trailers. I'm also running a wider tire for stability and higher load rating 40x15.5x20 instead of a 40x13.5x17 or 18.

PaxG56

They are on instagram if you search PaxG56. If you don't have IG I can text you some if you PM me.

I created that account so I wouldn't have to backup my computer. I keep getting blue screens of death since my desktop has Windows 7 and it isn't supported but I haven't bothered to get a new one. That is a long way of saying I've been too lazy to upload them and figure out how to post pictures.

GreggNY

I've put 30k miles on my '18 2500 PowerWagon in the past year with 25k-ish of those miles with AEV wheels and 37" Toyo MTs. The truck is on stock PW suspension with only minor plastic/pinch seam trimming. I think it drives great, and gets decent mileage. No complaints whatsoever. There are a bunch of pics in the link from when I drove it out West from NY

Last edited:

UglyViking

I'd skip the bed steps, and just learn to walk up the rear tires.

The rest depends on alignment, installer competence, and tire selection. But both of those options that you listed are great, and there's people running each here.

I did that for a bit on my old GMC. While it worked it wasn't something I really enjoyed doing for "daily" use of the bed.

I’m currently in a 3500 with the AEV DS on 37s. Love it. It rides rough on the stock springs though. So I plan on swapping the springs and shocks.

Handling is better due to the flipped drag link.

The total height of the truck on just 37s is just under 84” I think it’s 82.5 on my Nitto RG, but depending on tire choice YMMV.

If you’re looking for ride quality, go Carli.

I hear that Carli is amazing for ride quality. My current "issue" is that I have a 2500, and I paid a bit too much attention to the towing numbers. I had looked at GMC and Ford also and didn't realize that the Ram was so much lower than the other two. I worry that if I sacrifice ~15% of my payload and towing I'm getting close to half ton numbers and doing any longer trips or trips with my buddies will be basically impossible unless we put all our gear in a trailer. If I had gone with a 3500 it would be far less concern but here I am. Truck is 1 week old and while I got a good deal I'm sure if I traded now I'd lose my shirt.

I'd give Thuren a call. Small company with loads of experience. Speak to Chris. They won't oversell you.

I looked into them as well. Same issue as Carli from what I'm seeing, which is payload/towing loss.

I'm running almost exactly what you are looking at for an option - 2017 Ram 2500 Megacab with 3" DS, 40" Toyo MT, Amp steps, bunch of other stuff like new gears, steering assist, lockers, etc..

If you have an instagram account my handle is the same as here PaxG56. I just started the account a few weeks ago to put pictures of the truck on it and some build details - 10s of followers :)

My feedback is that I've driven the truck over 35k miles in this configuration and towed a around 5k miles of that with probably a max load of around 12k lbs. I haven't noticed any difference in payload or towing but you have to make sure you have the right set up and tires. I also added a free spin kit on the front axle to give me peace of mind with the heavy tire/rim instead of the factory wheel bearing assembly. I daily drive this truck and haven't regretted the build after 2 years (owned for 3). If you have questions feel free to PM me or ask here or my IG account. I'm happy to share and I'm in VA if you happen to be on the east coast.

I shot you a message on instagram. I'm very curious to how the added height is for daily driving. Not so much for when you're driving the truck, I sort of know what to expect there, but more getting in and out. Using the bed for weekend trips to home depot. I also have a newborn so getting his carrier into the truck needs to be straight forward and not involve a ladder.

I've put 30k miles on my '18 2500 PowerWagon in the past year with 25k-ish of those miles with AEV wheels and 37" Toyo MTs. The truck is on stock PW suspension with only minor plastic/pinch seam trimming. I think it drives great, and gets decent mileage. No complaints whatsoever. There are a bunch of pics in the link from when I drove it out West from NY

Firstly, beautiful truck and great photos. I'm in NH, so not too far from you as things go and have been chatting with my wife about doing basically this same trip but with a trailer (2 dogs, plus newborn). I'd love to know how you broke up the travel towards the west, how many days it took, etc.

Onto the truck, that's basically exactly the setup I'm considering (cap and all). Mine is a diesel so I don't have the factory 2", but with the AEV 3" lift that is only the difference of an inch which I can't think would be noticeable. I've seen a lot of guys do a level with 37s and I love the look. Less space between the top of the wheel well and top of the tire, but not sure if it would have enough travel for back roads. I don't take many/any technical trails and not looking to run moab with it. Mostly want the ability to deal with the standard offroad trail challenges. I think 37s would be more than enough for the task but I'm also a large child so is 37s who not 41s? Just wanting to make sure I don't ruin the daily drivability of the thing.

Can't wait to see more photos man, beautiful stuff.

ttengineer

Adventurer
Adding air bags, with daystar cradles will bring your payload and towing back up. Using Daystar cradles you’ll be able to get the benefits of the Carl/Thuren ride while still being able to tow heavy. Guys on here do it all the time.

If towing and payload are your main goal while wanting the look of 37s or 40s, go with the AEV kit.

Darwin

Explorer

Are you running the 13.5 or 12.5 Toyos and do they rub the sway bar at all?

UglyViking

Adding air bags, with daystar cradles will bring your payload and towing back up. Using Daystar cradles you’ll be able to get the benefits of the Carl/Thuren ride while still being able to tow heavy. Guys on here do it all the time.

If towing and payload are your main goal while wanting the look of 37s or 40s, go with the AEV kit.

I was told that airbags won't "add to the payload capabilities", is that for legal reasons or something else?

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
I was told that airbags won't "add to the payload capabilities", is that for legal reasons or something else?

Of course they add to the physical payload capacity. Safety sally's love to scream that they don't, but they absolutely do. It's kinda strange, jump on a tacoma forum and people have 3000lb hardside truck campers in the bed, but jump on a different forum and people say you can't put a four wheel camper in a half ton.

What airbags don't do, however, is increase the LEGAL payload capacity of a vehicle. If you roll the thing on the highway with a 4000lb truck camper in a truck with 2800lb's of payload, airbags or not, insurance will take you to task. As will the lawsuits of anyone you kill. 100% add airbags, but use them within reason. I like them as my truck no longer has the factory rake, so with 1200lb's in the bed the airbags prevent squat. As they do when I have a 10,000lb trailer behind me.

ttengineer

Adventurer

So they don’t technically “add” payload. Does that mean you can’t over load a bed and use airbags safely? No, but at some point you’re risking it.

Airbags are great for people who have lightened their springs for a better ride, but still want to tow. The bags will help carry the load as if the springs were stock, and then some.

I wouldn’t use them to turn a 3500 into a 4500 but I certainly wouldn’t have an issue running soft springs then using bags when towing or hauling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94