Experience mounting RTT (23Zero Byron) to Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform

Lt Dan

Observer
Reviving an old thread, I'm about to take on mounting my CVT RTT to my RhinoRack on my Jeep JK. Currently, my RTT opens off the passenger side of my trailer and it will be going back and forth between the trailer and the Jeep. My CVT tent rails run front to back and I have the same issue as a previous poster wherein the channels don't line up with the channels on the RhinoRack. I did purchase the RhinoRack accessory bars that run side to side to make things easier and I have a set of the quick release Frontrunner brackets to test out prior to purchasing them. Also, I do not want to drill any additional holes in my tent.

My options as I see it:
1) Use the standard Frontrunner tent mount brackets above and mount to the accessory bars closer to the sides of the tent for access to the mounting bolts. This allows for plenty of adjustment in any direction.

2) Use the quick release Frontrunner mounts drilling through the RhinoRack to mount them (at least for the side that doesn't line up with the channel) which will only allow front to rear adjustment and may only work for this RTT.

3) Purchase another set of accessory bars to use with the quick release brackets and then no drilling of the rack is required (also the most expensive option) and which allows plenty of adjustment in any direction.

Just to further complicate matters, we may change tents down the road...

Thoughts?

dstock,
I'm in the same boat. I just installed (last week) the backbone system with pioneer rack on my JKU.
I purchased a used CVT/RTT (Mt Shasta) from a member here this past fall.
He had it mounted on his rack but he removed the supporting u channels on bottom of the tent and rotated them (he cut them down to 48 inches so there is no over hang of u channel) so the RTT opens on the passenger or drivers side.
My plans are to have tent open on the passengers side as I will have a bat wing awning on the drivers side.

To mount the tent my plans are to visit home depot or Lowes, purchase some flat stock steel and cut to length so bolt holes will line up with open slats in the pioneer rack.

Hopefully when this project is complete, with the bat wing open and the annex attached to the RTT I should have over head cover around the majority of my JKU.

Fingers crossed,

Dan

dstock

Explorer
dstock,
I'm in the same boat. I just installed (last week) the backbone system with pioneer rack on my JKU.
I purchased a used CVT/RTT (Mt Shasta) from a member here this past fall.
He had it mounted on his rack but he removed the supporting u channels on bottom of the tent and rotated them (he cut them down to 48 inches so there is no over hang of u channel) so the RTT opens on the passenger or drivers side.
My plans are to have tent open on the passengers side as I will have a bat wing awning on the drivers side.

To mount the tent my plans are to visit home depot or Lowes, purchase some flat stock steel and cut to length so bolt holes will line up with open slats in the pioneer rack.

Hopefully when this project is complete, with the bat wing open and the annex attached to the RTT I should have over head cover around the majority of my JKU.

Fingers crossed,

Dan

I was considering that approach as well at one point with the flat stock steel. I'd love to find a solution that stays attached to the RTT when I move it back and forth between our trailer and the JK, which means it has to sit inbound on the RTT mounting rails of where the mounts for the trailer rack go so that I can slide the hardware out of the tracks before I mount it on the JK.

The bolts for the flat steel stock mounting to the RTT rails would have to go in one of the gaps between the slats on the rack. I'm going to do some measuring today between rain storms to see if that's possible with the 32" spread of the rails

I'm hoping to add a Batwing to the driver's side as well which will also pull double duty on the trailer.

It's an interesting problem, it's surprising that RhinoRack doesn't have a oem solution for it. I'm not in a rush so I'm going to keep hammering away at the possibilities!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles