Expeditions West: FZJ80 Land Cruiser

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Christian, I look forward to your arrival in Colombia. You can count on iguana 4x4 for any service or modification for your truck, plus I have some interesting places to show you around! :)

Hernando,

thanks for the offer and really looking forward to meet up!

KevinMLee

Wannabe
Does someone know what is the total capacity of both tanks combined?

I'm pretty certain that guambomb has the same tanks on his, but I don't quite remember the exact size of both. May want to ask him.

I'm not sure if anyone posted it... but If they are Long Ranger tanks,

A main Replacement tank is 38 US gal. and the Aux tank is 24 US gal. Making it a total of 62 gal on-board. I only know this because I'm planning to do the same thing and its' been a lot of research.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I'm not sure if anyone posted it... but If they are Long Ranger tanks,

A main Replacement tank is 38 US gal. and the Aux tank is 24 US gal. Making it a total of 62 gal on-board. I only know this because I'm planning to do the same thing and its' been a lot of research.

Thanks Kevin. That explains why I always seem to spend over $100 on gas every time I fill up.

:(

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
...Time for the fuel tank quiz. Scott and I are still trying to confirm which tanks are these.

We think that the back (auxiliary) one is Man-A-Fre - can someone confirm this?

FZJ80_Toyota_8.jpg

This is the main one - a replacement for the OEM.

We flipped the LandCruiser around to take a better look.

(Notice the absolute lack of rust btw...)

Long Ranger? If so, what capacity?

FZJ80_Toyota_10.jpg

The OEM filler neck.

FZJ80_Toyota_9.jpg

Christian - your aux tank set up seem to be identical to mine - a Long Ranger from Man-a-Fre. Capacity on mine is 44 gallons. I have passed smog several times in California with it.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
One thing I do need I believe is a new filler cap. I think it does not vent properly.

There is a lot of pressure when I remove the cap at the gas station - you could almost blow your hair. Also once is a while we hear a loud "pop" from the tank...like if the metal was bending or something.

a.mus.ed

Explorer
One thing I do need I believe is a new filler cap. I think it does not vent properly.

There is a lot of pressure when I remove the cap at the gas station - you could almost blow your hair. Also once is a while we hear a loud "pop" from the tank...like if the metal was bending or something.

This sounds like an issue I and many other people are having. Do some searching on the ih8mud 80 series tech section and you should find a thread started by maddbaggins a while ago describing the problem and his attempts to fix it, along with some good insight from other knowledgable members. However, with the mods to your fuel system you might find there is something else going on with yours.

ssssnake529

Explorer
Anyone have a fuel gauge installed on their aux gas tank?

I've got one I just put in. (Front Runner) I'd like to be able to know how much is in the aux tank, but have no idea if it's possible or how big a job it would be.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
This sounds like an issue I and many other people are having. Do some searching on the ih8mud 80 series tech section and you should find a thread started by maddbaggins a while ago describing the problem and his attempts to fix it, along with some good insight from other knowledgable members. However, with the mods to your fuel system you might find there is something else going on with yours.

I looked for that thread but couldn't find. Let me know if you come across again - I am curious to read it.

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer

I have this issue, too.

I did some semi scientific testing that I need to wait until next summer to confirm my findings.

Short version is that I put a coiled tube in a coffee can and filled the can with ice. I ran the return fuel line through the tubing so that the fuel would be cooled as it got dumped back in the tank. I had a series of thermocouples to collect data at different points. Without looking at my notes and realizing that I have only tried this once, so it is unproven at this point, when it was really hot out on a day I would normally have had slight pinging and high tank pressures, with the test setup, I had no issues. I'm going to try a remote transmission cooler next. My theory is that the way the fuel lines are routed, the fuel raises in temperature and it just circulates into the fuel tank. In areas like Phoenix, where the ambient Summer temperature is in the low 100's, it doesn't take long for fuel to reach a high temperature. The other factor is Ethanol use. It lowers the boiling temperature of gasoline. I'm trying to find a place that sells fuel without Ethanol to conduct that test.

As previously stated, this is unproven at this point, but since I am set up to put different tests together now, I should have some firm data this Summer. I even have an old fuel cap that I put a pressure module on so I can collect that data.

Dave

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I have this issue, too.

I did some semi scientific testing that I need to wait until next summer to confirm my findings.

Short version is that I put a coiled tube in a coffee can and filled the can with ice. I ran the return fuel line through the tubing so that the fuel would be cooled as it got dumped back in the tank. I had a series of thermocouples to collect data at different points. Without looking at my notes and realizing that I have only tried this once, so it is unproven at this point, when it was really hot out on a day I would normally have had slight pinging and high tank pressures, with the test setup, I had no issues. I'm going to try a remote transmission cooler next. My theory is that the way the fuel lines are routed, the fuel raises in temperature and it just circulates into the fuel tank. In areas like Phoenix, where the ambient Summer temperature is in the low 100's, it doesn't take long for fuel to reach a high temperature. The other factor is Ethanol use. It lowers the boiling temperature of gasoline. I'm trying to find a place that sells fuel without Ethanol to conduct that test.

As previously stated, this is unproven at this point, but since I am set up to put different tests together now, I should have some firm data this Summer. I even have an old fuel cap that I put a pressure module on so I can collect that data.

Dave

Very interesting. I am back in San Jose where it is much cooler and the ping seems to be gone. Now that you mention this, I think it did happen more often when it was warmer outside.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]

There is a lot of pressure when I remove the cap at the gas station - you could almost blow your hair. Also once is a while we hear a loud "pop" from
the tank...like if the metal was bending or something.

Ours has been doing that forever. It's normal blow off from the pressure because the transfer fills through the breather and now the OEM tank has no way to breath so now you get the "pop-hiss" when you unscrew the cap. Some think it has to do with the charcoal canister upfront, but the jury is out on that one. Anyhow, the metal sound you hear is just expanding pressures.. heck, wait till you go into higher elevations, say 10,000 feet and above. It will do that while camped :D

Christian - your aux tank set up seem to be identical to mine - a Long Ranger from Man-a-Fre. Capacity on mine is 44 gallons. I have passed smog several times in California with it.

Doesn't look like it's hanging low enough for a 44 gal capacity. Looks like the same as ours, 24 gal. When heading in for smog, you need to be careful of two things. Make sure you get someone that doesn't care about the visual. The dual filler neck "can" fail you. Especially if you have the one from South America or Australia where there's no flapper. I put a flapper in mine, but they still wonder what the pull valve is for. Anyhow, the other thing is make sure you fill both tanks full before heading into smog. Here in CA, they pressurize your tank(s) and therefore it will trip the machine as to something wrong when it tries to fill for a lengthy period. If they're both filled you will pass no problem. Make sure your cap is good too, with all that pressure they don't have as long of life as a normal setup.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles