Expeditions West: FZJ80 Land Cruiser

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Stefan; welcome to expo! Where are you in Deutschland? I wonder why the euro spec 80s tow double the US spec? I will have a brake system for the trailer of course. I would only be giving up 20 hp and 30 ft-lb on my current tow rig.

Christian; So jealous of your trip. I have the tienda/abborotes pic as the desktop on my mac right now! It is the little towns and stops at the taco stands and pemexs that really tell me I am traveling again... That and the constant filling of the gas tank!:sombrero:

Big Blue

Observer
Where are you in Deutschland? I wonder why the euro spec 80s tow double the US spec?

The euro factory spec is 3500kg for the 80 (diesel and gas) - but you can get a 6000kg spec in switzerland - witch is accepted in germany/europe.

i live close to cologne

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
With the Kaymar you can up the towing capacity to 7200 if i remember correctly. I'd have to go look at my tag on the bumper.

SoCal_80

Explorer
It is not diesel but it is not really important. Beside a slightly worst fuel economy, I don't really see much other downside. I finally have enough power to climb hills and coast at 80 mph, even with the KTM on the back bumper.

Was wondering how the KTM fits on the back with the spare tire on the Kaymar. I have a hitch carrier for my 450exc and was wondering if it would still work with the Kaymar w/ the tire holder. Thanks!

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
It is not diesel but it is not really important. Beside a slightly worst fuel economy, I don't really see much other downside. I finally have enough power to climb hills and coast at 80 mph, even with the KTM on the back bumper.

Was wondering how the KTM fits on the back with the spare tire on the Kaymar. I have a hitch carrier for my 450exc and was wondering if it would still work with the Kaymar w/ the tire holder. Thanks!

It actually fits extremely well. The footpeg fits right alongside the spare tire.
We can load the bike and it stays in place without putting any rope/cable.

So yes, it would work.

KevinMLee

Wannabe
It actually fits extremely well. The footpeg fits right alongside the spare tire.

So yes, it would work.

Hey Christian, This is your neighbor down 8 houses down with the black FZJ80. Good to see your photos from down south look awesome! I'd love so see more when you get back... yeah when DO YOU get back?

Kevin

SoCal_80

Explorer

So yes, it would work.

Thanks! Do you happen to know which hitch carrier you are using? Maybe a photo??? Thank you again!

Cheers -
Sean

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I concur, if you need any work done when you ship to Colombia Hernando is the man. We have spent the last week or so with him, his shop (Iguana 4x4) is a top notch establishment.

I will contact Hernando and see what we can arrange.

The modifications that I loved the most on the truck through out this "quick" trip:

-Fridge (you all know that...)
-Auxiliary lights. When there is no traffic, we often used the auxiliary lights and the difference is day and night - literally.
-Maggiolina Roof Top Tent
-Rear drawer system from Adventure Trailer
-Larger and Auxiliary fuel tanks. I always like the safety of having enough fuel available and be able to fill up when it's cheaper.
-In Dash DVD player. It was really cool to watch movie and have a cold beer when we got stuck in traffic not moving for 5 hours in Guatemala. The latest movies are widely available around here for $1 each...I guess I am getting old.
-power seats and lumbar support. Not really a modification as it came from the factory...but I don't think I have never been in another car for 14 hours a day and still feel relaxed.

:)

Modifications that we will be doing:

-Inverter/Charger
-Second battery

And a couple issues I need to look into after 8000 miles on this trip and 230000 total...

-intermittent rear left door power lock
-slight oil consumption and short "ping" under heavy load for a couple second (for instance while carrying the bike up steep hills). Not sure if they are related, or if it's the fuel, or something else.
-the driver side mirror clips are broken.

Other than that the truck has been flawless and I am really excited to keep driving it down in South America (or elsewhere...)

1153761735_9V4xB-L.jpg

94SRUNNER

Adventurer
I have an 80 with similar miles and notice a slight ping (or that is what I beleive it is) under load and at higher ambient temps, similar to the manner in which you describe. I switched from 87 octane to 89 octane and it went away. It could be do to carbon build up in the system, not exactly sure yet.

BTW...love your 80 and am enjoying your blog!

Buckru

Observer
Carbon build up can cause the pinging. Seafoam sucked into the intake through a vacum line can help. The best bang for buck mod to prevent future build up is to add a catch can in the pcv line between valve cover and throttle body. I've had one on the 80 for 4 years. Amazing how clean the intake stays.

Buck

iguana4x4

Wiki_4x4
Christian, I look forward to your arrival in Colombia. You can count on iguana 4x4 for any service or modification for your truck, plus I have some interesting places to show you around! :)

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles