Expeditions West: FZJ80 Land Cruiser

Grease Cruiser

Adventurer
Kurt,
This was his personal vehicle for some time however we are unsure if he did the mods himself or if they came already done when he aquired it.

I picked it up from Salt Lake City, drove it to Las Vegas for SEMA and then back to AZ to spend a week with it out in the desert covering a lot of terrain.

From highway to the trail this thing just puts a smile on your face! :sombrero:

Brian

The truck originally came out of California and had all of the modifications done to it there. I am not sure who did them in California. The owner before Greg contacted us about a diesel conversion to fully complete the vehicle. He tossed around the idea of a Cummins 4BT but then ultimately settled on a Toyota 1HD-FT. He went as far as purchasing a low mileage engine with 5 speed and part time transfer case.

We had the project booked and then all of a sudden he changed his mind. First he wanted to sell just the drive train. The diesel went to a friend of mine in Denver. The drivetrain is now sitting in a really nice 1994 80 series in the Denver area.

A few months went by and the owner decided he did not want the 80 any more. He was not using it as he intended so it had to go. He sold it to Greg in Utah and the previous owner went out and bought a new Ford F150.

Greg had the 80 for awhile and used it for a few outings around Utah. We basically did some maintenance on it and cleaned it up a little. The rest is history.

That's all the information I have on it. Hope that helps.

Edit: I had originally posted that I would dig up a phone number of the original owner. This offer was to Scott and to Scott only if he wanted to know more specifics. I apologize if I had a misleading post. I am not going to give out the phone number of a customer who is a private individual who would like to stay that way. Stop Asking People! Thank you.

Last edited:

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Awesome 80 Scott, glad to see you back in a Toyota. I agree with previous posts, you litteraly have had or have every concievable vehicle available in the us (n o 70 series...yet ;) )that I could ever want. What tires are going on for "jungle" travel???
That is a BEAUTY of an 80 there Scott. I'm just floored by what you seem to always find. Guess it pays to look real hard eh ;)

Wait five more years for this one. All the 1985 goodies plus some.

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...oyota-Hilux-Crewcab-Pickup-W0QQAdIdZ242374182

2405egh_20.jpeg
Dear friend... Will you plaease HIDE that truck somewhere for me for 5 years??? THat is a dream rig of mine (SHHHH don't tell the 1st Gen RUnner) :wow1: Oh how I'd love to have a 1KZ-T and a 5speed with a marlin dual set-up in that...

Cheers

DAve

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I think both tanks are from Long Range Automotive (LRA). MAF carries the aux tank but no longer carries the replacement main tank.

Well, this mystery has been solved. While replacing the brake pads I did not notice that both tanks have the LRA logo stamped on them.

So it means that the replacement fuel tank for the OEM tank is 145 liters (38 gallons).

http://www.longrangeautomotive.com....age=flypage.tpl&product_id=172&category_id=17

The auxiliary is therefore the 24 gallons that Man-A-Fre used to sell.

http://www.unwiredadventures.com/un...cruiser-fzj80-auxiliary-gas-tank-install.html

So that in theory gives me about 62 gallons. At an average of 12 mpg loaded, the range is 744 miles (1200 km) more or less!!!!

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
1143872999_D8WHe-L.jpg

As much as I loved the Troop Carrier I had before, I must admit that I am now totally falling for this 80. We just completed 6 days of pretty much non stop driving from San Francisco to Playa Zipolite, just south of Puerto Escondido.

I am pretty amazed at the perfect balance between a very capable off road vehicle (diff locks, bumpers, winch, clearance, sturdiness, etc) and comfort on the road (leather, power everything, a/c, - even a DVD player to watch movies...).

I am also totally impressed as how well build this Toyota is. Even for a 1997 with 225000 miles, everything is still in great condition. The doors close perfectly, the seals are tight, there is no rattle, everything works as it should.

It is not diesel but it is not really important. Beside a slightly worst fuel economy, I don't really see much other downside. I finally have enough power to climb hills and coast at 80 mph, even with the KTM on the back bumper.

Traveling with this 80 is like flying First Class...

:)

1143866108_ddZNA-L.jpg

haven

Expedition Leader
"...the perfect balance between a very capable off road vehicle...and comfort on the road."

Yep. The FZJ80 and Lexus LX450 are arguably the best on/off road SUVs ever sold in USA. The amount of storage space isn't perfect, and the fuel economy could be better. Otherwise, just about perfect, in my opinion.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Will it tow a 6000 lb trailer? If so, my Dodge 2500 is for sale now!

I have only driven a 80 with diesel 5spd, not the FZJ. Other than the fuel economy, I think for most of us, the cost and ease finding parts makes the gasser a more practical rig.

I WILL own one some day!!!

Big Blue

Observer
Will it tow a 6000 lb trailer?

...my HDJ 80 tows streetlegal 5000kg/11000lbs.

6000kg/13300lbs is the max in europe for J4/J7 long wheel base and J8/J100 - with some frame mods and the trailer (>3500kg) must have air brakes ...

Stefan

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior