Expeditions 7: Two Years Around the World on all Seven Continents.

Scott Brady

Founder
So, to get back to the fun adventure side of this thread. . .

ExPo_Set_1.jpg

Some serious hardware in the arctic. Most of the equipment avoids the road we traveled in on, and most of the work is done in winter

ExPo_Set_2.jpg

Attempting to get to a campsite on the north side of the Brooks Range, we found out just how well an 8,000 lb. Land Cruiser does in the snow. Ray got stuck, then I got stuck. Airing down to about 18 psi really helped, but they still sunk fast :D

ExPo_Set_3.jpg

Ray, unrolling the spanky new recovery strap

ExPo_Set_4.jpg

Good and stuck - all part of the fun (no snow was damaged in the making of this photo)

ExPo_Set_5.jpg

The Dalton is easy to drive on - even a quality AWD SUV would be fine. It is a good thing it is easy though, as the beautiful scenery is so distracting :D

ExPo_Set_6.jpg

Caribou - good eat'in

ExPo_Set_7.jpg

Ray, clearly not having fun

ExPo_Set_8.jpg

Mike, enjoying his first trip to the Arctic Circle (bet he will be back on a BMW. . .)

ExPo_Set_9.jpg

Ray, looking casual, as I think he was born above the Arctic Circle

ExPo_Set_10.jpg

My first time seeing a Musk Ox

ExPo_Set_11.jpg

The TV crew - clearly nefarious. . .

The first segment was a fun and beautiful drive. The trip to Deadhorse can be done by just about any vehicle in the summer and by something with AWD in the winter. If you want to venture off the Dalton, then a more serious vehicle is required. I really like traveling in the winter on these trips. With the right gear, it is quite comfortable, but you do not have the bugs to contend with. Mosquitos can really damper a trip here. I also like that the winter keeps most tourists away, and we encountered more adventurous souls, like teams preparing for manhauling sledge expeditions, dog sled teams, hunters, etc. Being tourists ourselves, it is nice to have the place mostly to ourselves.

The trucks performed well in these conditions, and the diesel glycol heaters made it oh so toasty inside. We only had a few minor issues come up, nothing that slowed the trip down. We are excited for the Cape Spear segment.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Now we are getting to some meaty post, thanks Scott.
Good to see the rigs getting a workout in the snow and interesting tidbit on the 8k wgt...is that with 2 people, fuel and all or a dry wgt?

I understand your reasons for winter travel & if I could handle the cold it seems like an amazing place from your pics.

Keep the updates coming.

Landroverholic

Observer
Great photos. Thankyou.

I remember reading an article years ago about a guy driving the Dalton solo in winter. It looked like an awesome trip and you guys have just backed that up.

Weight is always an issue. I sometimes think we can travel so lightweight on motorbike trips yet end up with the proverbial kitchen sink in a 4 wheel drive - but then its nice to be comfortable too. An eternal dilemma.

Now where did I put that map of Alaska - and when will they build a bridge across the Bering Strait ;-)

Good luck

Callum

little mule

I live in Tooele! What an exciting way to get our town on the map. Best of luck, and looking forward to reading all about it in OJ.

Scott Brady

Founder
When do you think you will be in Siberia Scott? We leave the UK January next year. Should be coming out of Mongolia around the end of July and into Siberia through August and September.

We then ship to Aus to! maybe see you guys out on the road.

G

We will be in Siberia in early fall of this year.

forsakenfuture

Explorer
Saw on the ARB video that these Toyotas come with a two piece snorkels. Is the one that you guys using one piece or two piece? If the two, are you concerned about it at all?

Scott Brady

Founder
Saw on the ARB video that these Toyotas come with a two piece snorkels. Is the one that you guys using one piece or two piece? If the two, are you concerned about it at all?

They are the factory two-piece units. We sealed them up and could stall the motor by sealing the intake on top. They should work well.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Scott,

If you have not already passed through on your way south, let me know when you'll be in Whitehorse again.

It would be awesome to catch up for a beer, and I can show you some cool stuff around here.
You're extremely welcome for a hot shower, though I don't have enough couch space for you all.
It would be awesome to share a campsite for a night or two. (I'll be at Liard Hot Spring the weekend of May 12/13)...

I saw the two trucks on your way North but didn't know about your expedition, so didn't wander over and say hello.
(I gave you guys a honk and thumbs up from my rusty white Subaru, and you all looked pretty quizzical)

-Dan

FlyJester

Adventurer
It was great to meet up with you Scott and the rest of the E7 crew down in the San Rafael Swell/CM '12. Have a fun, safe trip. Subscribed.

Here are a few pics(nothing fancy) of you guys I took on Devils Race Track/Eva Conover while I brought up the rear as the tail-gunner for the run.

DSC04392.jpg

DSC04396.jpg

DSC04389.jpg

David Harris

Expedition Leader
I think the 110 with centre diff lock, ETC, and the fantastic anti stall technology would make up for the lack of cross axle diff lock. :snorkel:

Yes. From the Moab pics, the Toyota is lifting a wheel a lot in pretty moderate terrain, even with coils in the front. Maybe it's the rear leafs partly too. The Land Rover suspension is way better with a similar payload. As Scott said, the Land Cruiser would be toast without the diff locks. Just how bad a 78 can be without them was shown in the Congo expedition where it didn't take much of a hole to have to stop and break out the shovels. With diff locks, the Rover would walk all over it. Because of the suspension design weakness, these trucks clearly need differential locks front and rear to be effective. An off road test versus the Defender 110 in South Africa showed this well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMhOhT5nwZk

Why are these trucks four tons?

David

Last edited:

discotdi

Adventurer
It does not.
I owned a Defender 110 in Australia for a number of years.
If you lift a wheel (an easy thing to do on rocky shelf terrain) that end of the vehicle looses all power.
A cross axle locker ensures power to the still grounded wheel.

I know that's why I said with electronic traction control, centre diff lock, and anti stall technology. If the Defender has ETC then if you lift a wheel the ETC will send power to the wheel with grip. Proper driving skills and use of ETC acts nearly as good as axle diff locks. And it has other advantages, like easier to steer and kicks in when needed. It won't do the super hard stuff quite as well as locking diffs though, I know. I think it would be a real toss up for sure.

Scott Brady

Founder
I saw the two trucks on your way North but didn't know about your expedition, so didn't wander over and say hello.
(I gave you guys a honk and thumbs up from my rusty white Subaru, and you all looked pretty quizzical)

-Dan

How cool is that - sorry we missed you. This was more of a shakedown run, so the schedule was tight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles