Expeditionary Compass - Mounting on Windscreen - Maxing Out

maxingout

Adventurer
Many people regard non-electronic compasses as old school and downplay their role in expeditionary travel. After all, we have iPads, GPS, Spot, and lots of electronic wizardy that should make it easy to get from point A to Point B. I have an iPad and GPS units galore with all their magic tricks, and I like to use them when there is plenty of electricity and wireless connections to make it all work. But reliance on electronics can get a person into a jam when the electronics go down for whatever reason. We carried electronic charts on our sailboat as we sailed around the world, but we also had paper copies to back us up in the event of an electronic failure. The government can turn off the GPS system anytime they want, and they can degrade it's performance so that it is not nearly as precise. The iPad can break or there can be a software problem. When the electronics fail, it's important to already have a plan for how you are going to deal with it.

One of the main problems with electronic navigation is that as you rely on it, your other navigational skills begin to atrophy because you don't practice your non-electronic navigational principles in real life situations.

I belive it is much better to go out on a trip using compass and maps, and then periodically check your position with a GPS to confirm your position. That way you are navigating on a dual track, and if your electronic track fails, you will feel comfortable navigating with your paper maps, compass, and odometer.

A non-electronic compass tells if I am heading generally in the right direction on the correct track. It keeps me honest rather than optimistic. Often tracks slowly veer off to the right or left, and the compass alerts you to the fact that you are no longer heading where you want to go. You need to correct your course by selecting a different track that heads closer to the direction you want to travel.

I have found a compass to be indispenable when I am navigating in large cities where there is no wireless connection and all the traffic signs are in a foreign language like Arabic, Russian, or anything other than English. Riyadh is a city of 5 million people, and when I was wandering in some remote corner of that city, I often used my compass to travel in a general direction to get me to a place with which I was familiar. With my compass, I could get from the soutwestern city to the northeastern parts of the city by simply staying on the same general compass course. I may not have known exactly where I was, but I never wandered around in circles because my compass kept me moving in the same direction until I was in a place that I knew.

A compass makes you situationally aware and keeps you honest about where you are actually heading (taking in to consideration deviation and variation).

I always mount a compass on my windscreen on my Land Rover 110 trucks to make myself situationally aware and honest about what is actually happening as I travel on tracks or cross country. The fact that it is mounted on the windscreen makes it easy for me to see and difficult to ignore when we are getting off track. I mount it in the middle of the windscreen as far as possible from magnetic influences.

I also mount it in such a manner that I can instantly remove it, and walk far away from the magnetic influences of the car to get an accurate bearing if it is important.

I always mount a Plastimo Iris 100 hand-held compass on my windscreen using silicone. I mount it equidistant from the right and left sides of the car and slightly up form the dashboard to get it as far away as possible from the electrical influences in the dashboard.

Compass Mount.jpg

The compass mount is simply a small piece of plywood attached to the windsreen with silicone, and then the plastic mount screws to the piece of plywood. The silicone creates an extremely strong bond of the mount to the windscreen, and I have never had a mount fail in tens of thousands of miles of off-road travel on corrugations. When it comes time time to remove the mount, I simply use dental floss to cut through the silicone, and the mount easily comes off.

Compass 2.jpg

The compass mounts in the middle of the windscreen and instantly becomes a handheld compass by simply lifting the compass off the mount.

Compass 3.jpg

Side view of the compass and mount.

Compass 5.JPG

Head on view of compass.

compass 4.JPG

Close up of the Plastimo Iris 100 compass.

The single most important principle of offroad navigation is situational awareness and non-reliance on a single navigational tool. A windscreen mounted compass is a giant leap in the direction of situational awareness and is a constant reminder to practice those skills that keep you from relying solely on electronic navigational tools.

If you want to brush up on your non-electronic navigational skills, visit the following link on the Portal:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/61498-Expeditionary-navigation-in-the-arabian-desert

Last edited:

tacr2man

Adventurer
Is that compass fully compensatable, as I found that any that were not were less than useless when I had one fitted in my 109 ( in the days before satnavs) also fluid damped is very important .

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Many people regard non-electronic compasses as old school and downplay their role in expeditionary travel.
IMHO only a fool would rely soley on electronic navagation for overlanding. Heck, I don't even like relying solely on it for local trips.
I've had dash mounted compasses since my first Rover. Similar to this, though mounted by with a bracket attached with screws and illuminated. Whatever they are they need to be adjustable to allow for the magnetic effects of the vehicle.
Window%20Compass%20Large.jpg

I just came across the one above and it seems like a nice one, stainless and brass (mine are plastic).

Ah, here's one that is pretty much like what I have.
yhst-98655517280318_2200_5001352

http://www.outdoordevices.com/rally58ce.html

Last edited:

LR Max

Local Oaf
Whatever they are they need to be adjustable to allow for the magnetic effects of the vehicle.

This is my concern. A compass is worthless if it point 80 degrees off because it is in a giant metal box. How does everyone adjust for this? I assume these nice compass units have adjustment on them? Does sitting in said metal box (its a series truck, its a box) have any long term affects on a compass? What is the best way of calibrating once mounted?

Currently I use my GPS extensively, but only after reviewing maps and studying them. Basically I just want to make sure I pass my visual queues or be able to say, "Hmmm, this doesn't look right, need to pull over and investigate". However I use the sun, shadows on the ground, and the time of day as my "double check" that I am headed in the right direction. Now if it is cloudy or at night, I'm screwed! BTW I suck at star navigation.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Bravo on another great navigation thread, maxingout. . . The variance of the magnetic compass in a vehicle was a major reason why Bell, Almasy, et al used the sun compass in the early days of desert travel by vehicle in the 1930's. LR Max, that's basically what you're doing with the shadows. It's all situational awareness, which is the greatest advantage of analog navigation over electronic.

David

Last edited:

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
This is my concern. A compass is worthless if it point 80 degrees off because it is in a giant metal box. How does everyone adjust for this? I assume these nice compass units have adjustment on them? Does sitting in said metal box (its a series truck, its a box) have any long term affects on a compass? What is the best way of calibrating once mounted?
Yes, they have screws to set the compensation. Here're typical instructions:

Compensating Instructions:
It's easier than ever to compensate the new Formotion Auto Compass because all the adjusting screws are reachable while the compass is attached to the car!

1. Attach the compass in the desired mounting position.

2. Head NORTH, turn the N/S compensator screw very slowly until the dial reads "N".

3. Head EAST, turn the E/W compensator screw very slowly until the dial reads "E".

4. Head SOUTH, if the compass does not read exactly "S", turn the N/S compensator screw just enough to remove only half the error. EXAMPLE: if the reading is off 2 marks on the dial, then adjust it to make the dial read only 1 mark off.

5. Head WEST, if the compass does not read exactly "W" then follow the same instructions as in line 4 using the E/W compensator screw.

NOTE: Use only the adjusting tool or dime to adjust the compensating screws. DO NOT use a steel screw-driver (This will affect the compass magnets).
from http://www.formotionproducts.com/autocompass.htm

I also verify by getting out and walking away from the vehicle with my handheld compass.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
I just keep a hand held in each vehicle- I even take one when flying/traveling for rental cars, etc

Hand helds defeat the interference of the vehicle because you can stop and walk away to a distance to take the reading. Good for a back up to the GPS, especially if used in conjunction with a land sextant. Not good to steer by from the vehicle, so, if forced to use a magnetic compass away from the vehicle, you will have to stop more often to check your bearing. . . Again, no problem if GPS is working correctly. . .

Last edited:

LR Max

Local Oaf
LR Max, that's basically what you're doing with the shadows. It's all situational awareness, which is the greatest advantage of analog navigation over electronic.

That is the term! Situational Awareness. It escaped me earlier. I agree, situational awareness is very good to have. A month ago the female unit and I went to pick up a desk for her office. On the way back, she was using a GPS to get us home. She said, "In a mile, turn right onto XXX street". I said, "I disagree. We are currently on XXX street!" Just another reminder to never rely 100% on technology. However I must admit most of the time it works extremely well.

Tom, solid information. Thank you.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Hand helds defeat the interference of the vehicle because you can stop and walk away to a distance to take the reading. Good for a back up to the GPS, especially if used in conjunction with a land sextant. Not good to steer by from the vehicle, so, if forced to use a magnetic compass away from the vehicle, you will have to stop more often to check your bearing. . . Again, no problem if GPS is working correctly. . .

Agree, but I am not in the middle of the desert typically and needing closest couple degrees, and have only xx options when driving. I still refer to the sun, shadows, moon, etc for rough direction i.e.roadways, etc. Not trying to fuel a debate, just saying be aware of the surroundings/basics especially when the GPS says one thing, and the gut another- confirm via compass...

maxingout

Adventurer
Yes, they have screws to set the compensation. Here're typical instructions:

from http://www.formotionproducts.com/autocompass.htm

I also verify by getting out and walking away from the vehicle with my handheld compass.

Thanks for the instruction on compensating a compass.

You can also accomplish the same thing by placing small magnets at strategic locations inside your vehicle to minimize the deviation.

The deviation changes on different headings. I find that with the spare tire mounted on the hood of the truck, I get more accurate readings heading north that when I am heading south.

It is a good idea to create a deviation card for the compass that is readily available so that you can quickly make a mental correction for the compass deviation on a particular heading. It isn't a big deal to make a deviation card.

When a friend of mine sailed around the world on his yacht, I watched him swing his boat compass as he was getting ready to leave the harbor for the last time. All of his gear with magnetic properties was finally stowed in its final storage location, and at that point he went out in the harbor and swung his compass by running down a set of bearing to fixed objects in the harbor. It took him about an hour to swing the compass and construct a deviation card, and then he disappeared over the horizon and spent four years sailing around the world.

One of the reasons a handheld compass is so good is that you can remove it from the car if you want to eliminate the magnetic deviation associated with the vehicle and be 100 percent sure of your course/bearing.

Car compasses get a bad rap because people purchase cheap compasses and install them in bad locations, and they ignore the magnetic deviation on different headings. Then they say that car compasses are no good.

Last edited:

maxingout

Adventurer
If you want to have accurate compass readings, it is supremely important where you mount the compass inside your vehicle. If you place it too close to the dashboard, you may find that it deviates wildly when you turn on your air conditioning or other electric accessories. The magnetic fields created by flowing DC current can be substantial and cause large amounts of compass deviation. When you install your compass, you should see how the compass behaves when the air conditioning is turned on. Check out the heading when one door is open and the other door is closed, or both doors are open.

I mount the compass in a location where there is the least amount of deviation created by the electric currents and other magnetic gear inside the vehicle.

The Plastimo Iris 100 compass works well in my vehicle because it gives me so many different mounting options. The compass is fully gimballed, and it can be mounted horizontal, vertical, right side up, or up side down. When I want to use it handheld, I simply remove it from the mount and take my bearing.

Handheld compass.jpg

This is the handheld configuration outside the vehicle. This is a fluid dampened compass.

Hand compass 2.jpg

Horizontally mounted compass in a fore and aft configuration.

Hand compass 3.jpg

Horizontal compass with right side up.

Hand compass 4.jpg

Horizontal compass up side down.

Hand compass 5.jpg

Horizontal compass that is upside down on the overhead.

The great versatility in different mounting positions makes the Plastimo Iris 100 excellent in many vehicles. You can move the compass up/down, overhead, or put it on the windscreen at any level using the plastic mount. You have lots of options to position the compass in a location where there is the least amount of deviation.

After you select your mount, you need to check the deviation on the major headings so you understand the reading you are getting in order to use the information in a sensible and intelligent manner.

Last edited:

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
The magnetic fields created by flowing DC current can be substantial....
That's for sure. I used to weld with a 400amp DC motor driven welder with about 150 of cable. When most of it was looped around a bracket on the welder (sitting near a metal sided building) and I was welding about 20' away, the loops of cable would star swinging over a foot in each direction. Major electromagnet.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Thanks to everyone for the great info. I came across this sun compass/clock application a while back and am intrigued to try it someday. It creates a sun compass for a particular date and latitude. You print it out and set it up with your own pointer. Once set up correctly it is apparently very accurate to steer by in a vehicle. No problems with magnetic deviation. On the site there is a guy from Australia who actually used this to navigate a section of the outback.

David

http://chrismolloy.com/sunclock

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier