Expedition Vehicles: ridiculously overpriced or not

waveslider

Outdoorsman
I just don't see the point in advertising it at under 200k if 99% of them will be >250k

Go back and read the OP, the genesis of this entire thread, and then you'll be reminded of why a manufacturer would do that.

Unfortunately, much of our society is so focused on price that they don't put a monetary value on quality. And the fact that this phenomenon gets worse, not better, the higher up the price range is even more disturbing.

They didn't start listing everything at stores for $xx.99 because they THOUGHT it would work. They did tons of research and found it really DID work.

If only we could get a ************ looking camper for $150k.......

The manufacturer that pursues the Vortex business model will do extremely well. Until they don't.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I'm going with ridiculously over priced.

F550, 4wd, CC, chassis cab = $55-65,000.
Acela Military truck, rebuilt as new = $100,000
There's no reason you can't build a nice box on the back of those for only $45-55,000.

Now that being said. Earthroamers and such have tons of frivolous amenities inside. Double air ride. Ridiculously expensive wheels, tires, winches, and such. That drives the cost up a ton.

waveslider

Outdoorsman
The "problem" with a F550 (and others) is you get 4/5 feet of completely useless OAL that not only extends the length but also the wheelbase in most cases.

Its all about compromises....

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter....... one person's frivolous amenity is another person's must-have accessory.

waveslider

Outdoorsman
A winch (or two), a genset and/or solar, proper recovery gear and some lithium sprinkled in and voila! You're at $200k.

........one person's frivolous amenity is another person's must-have accessory.

Last edited:

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
I'm going with ridiculously over priced.

F550, 4wd, CC, chassis cab = $55-65,000.
Acela Military truck, rebuilt as new = $100,000
There's no reason you can't build a nice box on the back of those for only $45-55,000.

Now that being said. Earthroamers and such have tons of frivolous amenities inside. Double air ride. Ridiculously expensive wheels, tires, winches, and such. That drives the cost up a ton.

You are 100% correct. Acela can sell you a beautifully sorted truck, assemble and install an empty shell including subframe for around 140.000. That leaves you ~10.000 for the interior. Plenty enough if you don't go overboard with granite and flush toilets... .

YF_Ryan

They didn't start listing everything at stores for $xx.99 because they THOUGHT it would work. They did tons of research and found it really DID work.

If only we could get a ************ looking camper for $150k.......

I understand where you are coming from on the $xx.99, but I think it's a lil different than that. Knowing something is 19.99 you can figure hey, 20 bux, but if it says 19.99 but in reality it's gonna be about 25...

Or you could compare it to what's going on with Tesla right now. Base Model 3 was supposed to be $35k, but a base model doesn't currently exist, you have to pay $46k for their cheapest model. I read an article recently they removed the $35k option from the website until they are actually closer to producing it.

Also, you are absolutely correct on that 150K rig with the camper on it... looks ************... but no way. I definitely wouldn't expect a standard cheap camping trailer to be very trustworthy in the long haul.

Since emotion, tone, etc isn't available in a font, please know I'm not arguing. Just having a fun conversation and spreading my humble opinion. Originally came across this thread while searching on the forum for anything Adventure Truck related. Cause like, currently, i'm in love. lol.

So yeah, I'll just be patiently waiting and watching as all the new rigs come and go over the next decade. Maybe there'll be a bunch of used Expo Vehicle inventory when I retire.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
The better built trailers aren't so bad, they get bounced around pretty bad as trailers. You need to stay on top of maintenance and plumbing. Anyone expecting a hardcore expo rig to be maintenance free is in for a wild ride.

I'd consider mounting one on spring isolators for a small generator. Maybe the isolators on a 600kw unit would be around the correct size.

Pretty maintenance intensive hobby, all the way across the board.

Last edited:

waveslider

Outdoorsman
Maybe there'll be a bunch of used Expo Vehicle inventory when I retire.

The reality is, you're probably right. And we wouldn't have had an issue buying used except I just don't fit in most of the vehicles made so we pretty much were forced to go custom. If you just look at the EC, ER and GXV sites and other places, there is a pretty healthy used market and its only going to go up from there.

waveslider

Outdoorsman
That leaves you ~10.000 for the interior. Plenty enough if you don't go overboard with granite and flush toilets... .

I'd like to understand this better. Forget about granite counters and "flush toilets" (although I'm not sure what you consider a flush toilet since our Porta-Potti in the van essentially flushed....)

$10k for the interior - even in a stark minimalist experience - seems like a dramatic miscalculation just on equipment/materials alone much less labor costs.

What are the rough numbers you're thinking of?

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
You can source the AC, stove, furnace, etc. etc. etc. from any old moldy ruined junkyard motorhomes. Many people wreck RV's in just a few years, equipment may still be fairly new.

There's vendors supporting this forum that can provide nice windows and such.

I'd insulate and wall in the box with Cedar.

waveslider

Outdoorsman
There's vendors supporting this forum that can provide nice windows and such.

Right. 4 moderately sized windows will run you $2k (straight from said vendors website) and let's conservatively say $500 for install.

You have $7,500 left. If we are rummaging equipment out of old RVs (which seems dank for a vehicle you spent $140k for but ok), then you are running propane in that case?

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
I'd like to understand this better. Forget about granite counters and "flush toilets" (although I'm not sure what you consider a flush toilet since our Porta-Potti in the van essentially flushed....)

$10k for the interior - even in a stark minimalist experience - seems like a dramatic miscalculation just on equipment/materials alone much less labor costs.

What are the rough numbers you're thinking of?

We outfitted our 12' expo camper the following way: (all prices are in CAD$ and rough as I'm too lazy to dig out the paperwork)
$1000 plywood/srews/finish for interior cabinets
$850 Planar diesel heater
$1600 Naturs Head toilet
$1200 upholstery
$1000 misc. stuff like storage bins, hooks....
$600 for batteries/wires etc.
$1000 ARB fridge freezer

Total: CAD$7250
totalcomposites-2.jpgtotalcomposites-10.jpgtotalcomposites-12.jpgtotalcomposites-28.jpg

rruff

Explorer
The better built trailers aren't so bad, they get bounced around pretty bad as trailers. You need to stay on top of maintenance and plumbing. Anyone expecting a hardcore expo rig to be maintenance free is in for a wild ride.

I discovered pretty early on that it was worth more to me to keep it simple. Light reliable rig, not a 3 ton truck. The reliability and flexibility of a $20 water bag with a hose on it, vs plumbing. Same for a portable stove vs built in. Camping in remote areas where toilets are unnecessary. Camping where the climate is nice so heating and cooling aren't needed (easy to do year round in the western US). Nothing like bathing in an ice cold stream on a sunny day! How much solar do you really need and for what? Many modern conveniences aren't worth the hassle even in a permanent home. No way do I want to hall all that crap around with me....

waveslider

Outdoorsman
^^ I had seen pictures of your rig previously, and as always it looks delightful and inviting.

I don't see the windows and door listed there (which might bring the total up around the $10k mark you quoted per my earlier calc).

Did you happen to keep track of the time/hours put in? Because I would assume that's a significant component?

On a totally unrelated note - I don't know if I've ever noticed the "cab over" piece on your truck. Is that storage or is it accessible via the truck cab?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste