Expedition Vehicle selection thoughts?

DCGibbs

Observer
Zybane,
Look up a company called Hallmark. They build-up Custom Trucks, to go with there Campers and Flat-bed Cabins. The quality seemed very high, I'll load a photo for OL Expo, when we get home. Also a different option, and story to share with you from Lance at EarthCruiser... More soon. DCG

Last edited:

Zybane

Zybane,
Look up a company called Hallmark. They build-up Custom Trucks, to with there Campers and Flat-bed Cabins. The quality seemed very high, I'll load a photo for OL Expo, when we get home. Also a different option, and story to share with you from Lance at EarthCruiser... More soon. DCG

Sounds good!

Peneumbra2

Badger Wrangler
Hello Comrade Zzyzx:

Is not necessary to be buying both diesel fuel and vodka because all Russian trucks are running on vodka, and Russian soldier is happily drinking vodka or diesel!

Regards,

B. Badenov

Sitec

Adventurer
Here's a curve ball for you.... Older Mercedes Benz 1831 (310hp)... Hub reduction axles, air select high and low box, air diff locks front and rear, lazy OM 441 V6 diesel engine. A very reliable, cheaply priced cab over 4x4, sat on 11 R 22.5 tyres, which are available world wide... Older Mercedes AK/MK/SK chassis numbers can be quoted world wide and parts still obtained. Cab over truck allowing space for a 5.5 or 6m long body, 2.5 m wide and 2.1m tall. I looked at this truck before I found mine (one of only a few 4x4s in Australia), and would have bought it had mine not come up. With an older low km chassis, you then have a decent budget left for the living box of your choice... I think a lot of usable living space is lost with vehicles that have a bonnet. I bought my truck for $30000 AUD, I've found a second hand coach body for $5000 aud, and I guess I still have $10000-$20000 aud to spend, totalling $45000 to $55000.. Yes I'm going to spend a few years putting it all together, but I will end up with what I want...

https://www.mascus.fr/2-occasion/tracteur-routier/mercedes-benz-1831-ak/9sjmcoji.html

Chorky

Observer
Interesting thread. Following, as Ive been struggling to find a solution to something very similar to your situation Zybane as I am in a very similar situation as yourself.

Since your considering military chassis, is there a reason you have not listed a 5-ton as a possibility? I have recently considered that turning my OBS ford into a nice comfortable expedition rig that is full-time live in capable would well exceed the max weights, and make it less capable off road even if weights was not an issue.

I'm curious if you could expand on your requirements specifically pertaining to off road capability. I find different people have very different definitions on what is off road, what is 'easy' off road, and what is not even passable (as found by a coworker even just yesterday). I ask because as many of the previous discussions seem to point out that less is sometimes more, and like you I also find myself constantly wanting to go bigger, but that doesn't necessarily mean better (especially if something breaks a long way from a service center or even highway). I think the biggest issue maybe is that for a good comfortable set up, and to be able to be somewhat off road, that a big truck is needed just simply due to weight? However, In my experience (and I travel off road every single day for many miles in areas where you wouldn't see another person for days - all for work haha) these big trucks would never make such roads (I'll try and get some pics today), and many of which have some significant off-camber situations in the worst places. Usually such roads absolutely require a dozer to rebuild them prior to any sort of 10K plus vehicle to travel them. And so it is more likely that such a nice truck would really be needed only for things such as ice/snow, bad roads, the occasional good quality forest service road. In other words, only traveling to front country places and established campgrounds, and that a ATV of some sort would be needed for deeper explorations. In a way, it almost makes it so that a trailer would suffice, even though we both probably don't want a trailer any longer (I have full-timed for 2 years as well in a 21' springdale).

Just some thoughts I consider for myself anyway, and so am curious to hear what you (and the community) think are the realities as far as 'off-road' capable means with a vehicle that is so big, heavy, and top-heavy.

Last edited:

Zybane

I'd say something like below would be the limit of what I'd expect an "expedition vehicle" to handle:

gallery-1494115577-roa060117dpt-drives-discovery3-1500409408.jpg

The problem is the price/capability/living-space triangle is pretty much impossible to settle unless you have ungodly amounts of money. You pull on one point of the triangle and the other two items go completely out of whack.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I'd go F450 CCLB, 4x4. Add a Detroit locker to the front axle. And wait to see if anything is ever available for the rear axle. Although, one locker might be enough.

Add any slide in camper with a slide out. Done. That's plenty for just about everywhere in the US I've been to. I think you'll be impressed by where such a setup can go. Obviously such a large rig isn't going to be a Jeep. Building a large rig, to have Jeep-like capability, that'll never be needed or used, is a waste of money. An F450 does pretty well, anywhere it can fit.

I'd love a giant earth roamer. But there is absolutely nowhere to drive one to it's capabilities, anywhere I've ever been. Waste of money to build an expensive off road truck, that doesn't FIT off road.

You could also go F550 instead. Get a flatbed camper or a permanently mounted camper. And then you have more room to do a "brush truck" setup with wheels and tires.

Maybe get a little trailer for a motorcycle so I can still play with the little Expo guys.

Or go waay under budget. A simple F350 DRW. Front Detroit locker. Little MT tires. And a Camplite slide in camper. Smaller and lighter, goes along ways:
f64ed27f4a6f8342f7f4f44c01cf74a4.jpg

Last edited:

rruff

Explorer
The problem is the price/capability/living-space triangle is pretty much impossible to settle unless you have ungodly amounts of money. You pull on one point of the triangle and the other two items go completely out of whack.

Does money even solve it? There are lots of places those fancy Earthroamers or Mogs won't go. There are tradeoffs for size and weight (living space, appliances, etc) vs the ability to "go anywhere". Even if the rig is very capable you'll have issues in trees if it's too big and tall. I decided to go the kinda cheap, reliable, big (stand up), light weight, route. For our needs this is the best option. But if primary use was shorter trips, I'd have a smaller truck with more serious offroading upgrades, and a smaller camper. At least we have plenty of choices.

Zybane

I'd go F450 CCLB, 4x4. Add a Detroit locker to the front axle. And wait to see if anything is ever available for the rear axle. Although, one locker might be enough.

Add any slide in camper with a slide out. Done. That's plenty for just about everywhere in the US I've been to. I think you'll be impressed by where such a setup can go. Obviously such a large rig isn't going to be a Jeep. Building a large rig, to have Jeep-like capability, that'll never be needed or used, is a waste of money. An F450 does pretty well, anywhere it can fit.

I'd love a giant earth roamer. But there is absolutely nowhere to drive one to it's capabilities, anywhere I've ever been. Waste of money to build an expensive off road truck, that doesn't FIT off road.

You could also go F550 instead. Get a flatbed camper or a permanently mounted camper. And then you have more room to do a "brush truck" setup with wheels and tires.

Maybe get a little trailer for a motorcycle so I can still play with the little Expo guys.

Or go waay under budget. A simple F350 DRW. Front Detroit locker. Little MT tires. And a Camplite slide in camper. Smaller and lighter, goes along ways:

There is a reason that truck campers aren't "expedition vehicles" when slid into pickup trucks. Those things start to have problems going over large pot-holes, let alone off-road and stay in one piece.

Does money even solve it? There are lots of places those fancy Earthroamers or Mogs won't go. There are tradeoffs for size and weight (living space, appliances, etc) vs the ability to "go anywhere". Even if the rig is very capable you'll have issues in trees if it's too big and tall. I decided to go the kinda cheap, reliable, big (stand up), light weight, route. For our needs this is the best option. But if primary use was shorter trips, I'd have a smaller truck with more serious offroading upgrades, and a smaller camper. At least we have plenty of choices.

Ya you are right, money only solves stuff up to a certain point. Then physics takes over. You can only put so much living space, into X vehicle size with X capability, even with an unlimited budget. Especially if you have hobbies like me.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
That's why I posted the Camplite. A bit tougher than average.

That being said, I think you'll find the tough Expo campers need a ton of maintenance as well.

zb39

Adventurer
Yet, tons of people take there TC off road every year with no problems. I think if you buy a quality TC and a quality truck you won't have many problems, unless you just want to beat the crap out of it for no reason.
A lot of people seem to get hung up on off road capability. An expedition truck may travel thousands of miles across a continent. 90 percent of those roads will be paved.
9.9 percent will be dirt or gravel. These same roads are used by the locals driving whatever car they have. .1 percent will be rougher, IE true off road. Talk to the people that are right now out there doing it. It is an eye opener.
Everyone is free to choose what they want. I think they are all cool. For me, I chose what is comfortable for the long haul. Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke