Expedition Unimog 416 Diesel

ckkone

Explorer
I saw this truck at a Shopko in West Jordan, UT last summer, I have pics on my phone I've been meaning to post.

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
That purple interior is sexy. Cool rig, but only 225 ft/lbs of torque? Seems like it would be more.

~James

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Ever since i saw ROBTHEBRITS rig, i've been wanting to get that exact setup. We'll here's my chance! But heck i talked to Yosh and that price tag is out of our budget! :( Maybe i can come up with money by fall!?!

Such a nice rig and super hard to come by.

Anyone want a expedition ready 80 with matching adventure trailer?? hehehe

Last edited:

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Good heavens, it's Camper Mog's long-lost little brother! :wavey:

The 225 lb.-ft. of torque specified does seem low, though, unfortunately, not that low. A stock 110 hp OM352 has 363 nm of torque, which works out to a whopping 268 lb.-ft.

Kinda wacky with the colors, and you have to be into the "storage cupboards uber alles" decor, but this looks like a pretty nice rig and, if all is well, the asking price seems very reasonable. It's only 18 feet long, though, just half a foot longer than a Tacoma double cab--shorter than my Sprinter camper, for that matter--so it's going to be a bit tight in the cabin.

But if you don't need a double cab, and really like the person you were traveling with, this truck is worth a look. It doesn't have the cab or cabin space of something as long as Camper Mog, but it's five feet shorter, which could be important if your expedition is going to be in tight spaces. Definitely worth a look, to my mind, if you're thinking about a true expedition vehicle.

While the expedition vehicles on this forum come in all shapes and sizes, if you'd be proud to own something that could really do a multi-month Sahara/Silk Road/Patagonia expedition, older purpose-built expedition trucks like this and Camper Mog deserve your consideration. You get a rig 80 or 90% as capable as a new Unicat for no more money than a new diesel pickup truck. Obviously, they are not for everyone, but they do supply a lot of engineering, capability and adventure at a nice price.

Mike Hiscox
'77/'95 Unimog 416 Doka Expedition Camper (for sale)
2005 mid/tall Sprinter 2500 Expedition Camper

View attachment 18910

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Michael Slade wrote:

Wonder if he wants to trade?
Geez, Michael, I know where you can probably trade that Rover of yours for a really nice Unimog camper. :)

Mike Hiscox

findleywarren

Adventurer
mog camper

The sideways coil is a new one on me, cant think of any reason to have it. I would question if the mileage is KM or Miles. The Air Bag steering wheel is interesting. I would definatly check out who did the frame off, engine etc + documentation. If you could find a way to stomach the interior color, it could possibly be a good base for a camper build. If it comes by Salt Lake and anyone needs a second opinion let me know. Im always interested in looking at these campers even if I can afford it. Its great to see how other poeple fix some of the mog issues.

oonimog

Adventurer
That spring is meant to bounce the truck back up on it's wheels if it should flop over... :elkgrin:

Actually, it's just a spare. I've had two break on my Mog during long journeys but never had any issue with driving on with the broken spring. In fact, on one of the occasions, I didn't even notice until I had returned home.

Pete

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Please explain to me how the heck your supposed to swap a spring out in the field with a mog? That seems almost impossible..

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Dave wrote:

Please explain to me how the heck your supposed to swap a spring out in the field with a mog? That seems almost impossible.
Hey, how hard can it be?

It must be a European thing. Camper Mog has an extra rear leaf spring bolted to her frame, and I can see how that might be a field-repairable item if the situation got desperate enough. Happily, I've no personal experience on how difficult it might be to jack up eight tons of Mog camper in the soft sand and try to remove some giant bolts that haven't moved in 30 years.

I ought to take that spring off. Probably weighs enough that I'd pick up a mile per gallon. :)

Mike Hiscox

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles