Expedition Tundra

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
Welcome to the ExPo...

Welcome! I too am glad to see another expo Tundra build...you are going to love the Tundra. I love mine...

IMG_0724_zpsd4ae1d67.jpg

IMG_0727_zps52f87285.jpg

2012-02-24_18-06-37_500.jpg

Link to my thread...http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...11-Tundra-build-BIG-NAMBE?highlight=big+nambe

Regards,

BWJ

aires35

Adventurer
Ordered the Autana after much debate. I looked around on all the forums and read all the posts out there that I could find. I'm definitely not saying it is the end-all of rtt's, but for the price it's great!
I've always used a cot camping (post USMC days of course), but managed to get a herniated disk in my neck last year. Cot really didn't cut it after that. Used the Autana for the first time last weekend. Was able to sleep on my side and no pains!
Pros of current mount: I don't need a step ladder to take cover off, not much of a free-fall if on way out, I miss a rung, you can use too down back window to help take cover off, kept lower COG, and tent is out of highway wind.
Cons: not much bed space left (for stacking items), really is too low for using room attachment, tent window closest to can cannot be propped open with spring rods.
I have a friend with plasma cutter, welder, and tubing bender. We're looking at some options.

Sent from my MZ609 using Tapatalk 2

aires35

Adventurer
Johnny, thanks for welcome but been here a while, unfortunately just not too active. I will say your build thread motivated me to post here again! AND, I am totally stealing your ejector seat mod!

Nice seeing another from the Houston area! Nice progress on your Tundra! Can't wait to see what's next.
Know any good trails near Houston? (might be a stretch I know, haha)

Thanks!
-RFA

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
Johnny, thanks for welcome but been here a while, unfortunately just not too active. I will say your build thread motivated me to post here again! AND, I am totally stealing your ejector seat mod!

Imitation is the greatest form of flattery...I'll pass that information on to my son who was responsible for the mod...

Regards,

BWJ

What I love about the picture ^ above is the tricycle and the BOB type stroller. It has got to be fun to ride as trike "offroad" doing some remote camping. I wonder if that tricyle has a suspension upgrade :)

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
^ Interesting...I can't believe how much it looks like my old bumper, which was custom made. Those Badlands bumpers look better made though and I like how they attach better too.

PaintRock

Adventurer
That's a nice truck. You mentioned getting the 4.6 for ARB compatible axles. I knew the 4.6 had the smaller rear axle, but is the front differential different too?

aires35

Adventurer
Rack

aires,
took a look at your pics from canyonlands. what kind of rack do you have those MASSIVE action packers on? those things look like they might be heavy! :)

I mounted Yakima crossbars with the feet you normally use with a camper shell to the top of the bed rails. I reinforced the top and bottom with aluminum bar. The action packers were actually only used to carry backpacks and pillows, blankets and such. All heavy items are either in toolbox or bed. My daughter (14 at the time) and I could actually lift the rack/crossbars off the bed without taking off the action packers. LOVED this setup. Now that I got the RTT, I'm prowling this forum for some sort of solution to the tent being so low.

aires35

Adventurer
No, I don't believe it is. But at the time the powertrain (minus the full-time transfer-case) were shared with the LC200, which is sold everywhere. The 10.5 was only for the US, so the locker was slow in coming. :mad:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior