Expedition Tundra

aires35

Adventurer
Introducing myself and my truck.
100_1399.JPG

[Moby]

Well... I'm new here. To be honest, the Tundra, which I've named Moby, is going to be outfitted more for family camping trips. I'm going to try to outfit it to be any road capable. I love the Tundra, but it's size is just too restrictive (I feel) to do anything like the Rubicon and such. We do make trips out to Big Bend about every two years, and camp drive-in primitive there. In the works is a trip to Canyon Lands, and we're going to do the 4x4 trail through there. Moby will be outfitted for trails like that.

I have a 2010 4x4 Crewmax Tundra with the 4.6L. I chose the 4.6L over the 5.7, because gas mileage and also you can get front and rear ARB's for the 4.6:). Currently have added a laptop mount, and Yakima crossbars to eventually mount a MegaWarrior basket. I started a blog about the mods I do:
http://expeditiontundra.blogspot.com/2010_06_01_archive.html
I will also post here in the future so anyone interested can follow along.
In the past I have had:
1985 4Runner
1999 Tacoma Ext Cab 4x4
2003 Tacoma Dbl Cab TRD
2005 BMW GS
Currently in the stable is a 2005 Pathfinder 4wd (Shanhai'd by Mama)
DSCN2213.JPG

All gone now (except Pathfinder) and only have Moby. I am glad to be here and look forward to talking with and hopefully meeting some of you. I am out of Houston, Texas if anyone else is close by, let me know. Thanks to all of you for making this one of the most informative forums out there and I hope to add to that.

Doug (Aires35)

Owyhee H

Adventurer
Nice truck. From the looks of it you will need that truck...you dont pack too light. Will the Tundra fit through the squeeze on the canyonlands trail? Very nice and comfortable ride im sure. :26_7_2:

aires35

Adventurer
Nice truck. From the looks of it you will need that truck...you dont pack too light. Will the Tundra fit through the squeeze on the canyonlands trail? Very nice and comfortable ride im sure. :26_g7_2:
the trail I'm looking at doing had videos on youtube with some German couple going down it in a rented 4x4 chevy trailblazer:victory:, so i'm pretty sure i can make it.
Have you done this trail? if so, do you have any pics or recommendations for camping spots? I've heard you need to alot about 3 days.

aires35

Adventurer
nice truck!

I got the 5.7...for the towing power..and this little gem for $200 to sleep in..

IMG00976.jpg
that skamper ROCKS!!! it looks like one of the fouwwheel pop-ups? yeah, the 5.7 is a beast, combine that with an old war injury that resulted in me having a lead right foot, and all my money for mods would go to the gas tank.
i only tow a 16ft jon boat, so i could've probably gotten away with a volkswagen bug, if i was buying for towing reasons:).

zidaro

Explorer
Welcome to Expo!!!
the CrewMax Tundi is awesome. I have a 5.7 in mine. Getting 18mpg average and i dont drive slow, but i hear ya- when i get a HEAVY city foot mpg goes South.
I'm accumulating a pile o'parts in my garage and am heading the same direction. Feel free to bounce ideas my way, i'd love to hear your thoughts/issues.
Heres my Toy:

DSC_0040.jpg

know where you are coming from.
heres a classic desert trip oldschool:

DSC_0009.jpg

Last edited:

aires35

Adventurer
Thanks, your camper is awesome! i had a real hard time finding info on campers that would fit the crewmax, yours looks real nice. How many does it sleep? and do you mind sending me the brand/model?

aires35

Adventurer
zidaro,
thanks for the "old-school pic". i've really gone downhill packing since the ultralight days in the corps. The first time I went camping with my wife she wanted to look over everything before we left and after placing it all on the bedroom floor, she asked, "Where's the tent?", I was like, "Tents, we don't need no stinking Tents!!!" You can see that we pack tents and everything else for that matter now. One of the things i would like to accomplish with this truck is to keep the functionality of the truck, but make it have all the things onboard for camping. stove, rooftop tent, some other things i will get into later. thanks again for your posts.

NothingClever

Explorer
zidaro,
thanks for the "old-school pic". i've really gone downhill packing since the ultralight days in the corps. The first time I went camping with my wife she wanted to look over everything before we left and after placing it all on the bedroom floor, she asked, "Where's the tent?", I was like, "Tents, we don't need no stinking Tents!!!" You can see that we pack tents and everything else for that matter now. One of the things i would like to accomplish with this truck is to keep the functionality of the truck, but make it have all the things onboard for camping. stove, rooftop tent, some other things i will get into later. thanks again for your posts.

I'd skip the RTT and go for either a trailer (sounds like the best option for you based on what you've written) or a pop-up camper.

I went with a pop-up camper since my wife and I are planning an international trip and I didn't want to diddle with a trailer while crossing borders. With the pop-up, we can go anywhere and be at home in any weather in 2 minutes or less.

aires35

Adventurer
nothingclever,
thanks for the input, i'm rethinking the RTT, after seeing some of the pics with the popups in the bed. i sold all my recovery gear with the last taco. doh!!! so first i'm gonna concentrate on getting all that put back together first. any recommendations on gear other than the standards (hi-lift, shackles...), and for 2007-on tundra spare parts, would be greatly appreciated.

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
Ive got my doublecab loaded up with all the gear...and didnt fill the water tank (cus I did lastnight and the truck was about 3/4in from the bumpstops! and thats with the SR5 package!..my skamper must be HEAVY!)..

but thats with the 63qt fridge...5gal of extra water..all our campin gear/chairs/food and stuff for 2 adults..1 6yr old and 7mo old twins (strollers/backpacks/colapable-crib)..and 2 dogs..

aires35

Adventurer
Tepui, Mac's and Edgestar

So, it's been a while since I've done anything but lurked around here in a while so, here we go.

Since last post here on Jun 2010, we've been to Overland Expo, Big Bend twice, did the White Rim Trail in Canyonlands National Park, and my youngest son is now in Boy Scouts so we camp pretty much every month. I've also been voluntold to be Quartermaster of our boy scout troop so Moby The Tundra, who was only supposed to tow a jon boat, now tows a 7000# tandem-axle trailer monthly.

Some additions to assist with all that:

Thanks to Zidaro for the awesome build and the information on Mac's Tiedowns:

001.jpg

002.jpg

Super easy to install, and work AWESOME!!!

003.jpg

In addition to being Quartermaster for my son's BSA troop, I love to cook so end up being Grubmaster for the adults as well. So...

IMG_20130325_121738_027.jpg

...yep, had to add the Edgestar 86 Qt. fidge/freezer.

IMG_20130325_150815_994.jpg

Being that it will live in a truck bed, I added the cover as well.

IMG_20130325_150834_960.jpg

Thanks to all the members that reviewed this fridge and a special-thanks to those that posted on the handle-mod, because the stock plastic ones do suck!

Finally, I'm not getting any younger and after all the work from quartermastering and grubmastering, I wanted a place to retire to that was a little better than the ground tent I had been using so...

485343_540198649365629_521107855_n.jpg

...ordered a Tepui Tents Autana model. This thing is sweet! More to come and ask away if any questions. Thanks to all for the inspiration!!!

Coming in 2014, Maze District and Moab once more! :wings:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier