Expedition Truck Caps

bjp

Rez roamer, dog wrangler
here is the ARE I got. I work 7-on-7-off, and to save myself the 1.5hr commute (each way), some days I camp out in this. It is nice and roomy. But, I can't do more than hang curtains over the windows inside because of all the other things I have to do with my truck/shell. Hauling firewood, transporting dogs in crates, etc. keeps me from being able to make platforms or do much in the way of interior upgrades. Heck, I even had to cut out my bedliner just to gain that additional half-to-three-quarter-inch interior height......I was *just* shy of being able to stack two larger medium dog crates on top of one another with the bedliner. With it out, I can easily stack them on top of each other. Instead of 6 medium crates with a few smalls on top, I can get 10 or 12 medium crates back there now.

Anyway, the point is I absolutely love my ARE DCU. If you get one, go with the vertical sidewalls and the "radius" front, like I did. That way, you don't lose any interior room from the slope/angle on the sidewalls.

55EA04BC-325B-4D25-88A7-FEF62F419404-882-0000037DD4433F38_zps7d969192.jpg

SeeJ

Very nice site. Still like the A.R.E. with door. I might go that route.

PA Slammer

I have had an A.R.E. MX model with the walk-in door for 3 years. I wouldn't buy another. However, if you live in a dry region with no dust you should be OK.

I've found the large back hatch to be very poor fitting. I've finally sealed the hatch all around with silicone sealant. It's a nuisance when you want to open the whole back because you then have to break the seal and re-seal it again. I've repaired the walk-in door hardware a number of times, too. Overall, the design is nice but quality of the components and the fit means that it's never been fully functional: occasional leaks around windows and perpetual leaks around the back. To their credit, A.R.E. did replace a leaky window. The original dealer installation was quite poor and matching the cap to the truck was a royal pain. It may work better to remove the plastic bed rails to create a smooth surface to mate with the cap. I eventually lifted the cap and glued it down with marine sealant so it is, more-or-less permanently mated to the truck.

An aluminum one may be a better option but I know next to nothing about those.

If I had my time back I'd have bought a Spacekap. Very expensive initially but would outlast my truck and be put on the next one because the slide-in is a universal fit. The weight of the slide-in Spacekap is a disadvantage but it's fully sealed and can be taken on and off the truck without having to reseal every time. If you have a 3/4 ton the Spacekap is, in my opinion, the best option. If you have a 1/2 ton without added springs it may not be the best choice.

Hope this helps.

Clutch

<---Pass
I always thought that it'd be sweet to re-do a FlipPac and instead of flipping it all the way out/flat, stop the deployment at an angle (acute angle at front of truck, large soft side at rear of truck), like my Autohome RTT(roof top tent) is, or like a reverse Westfalia Top;
View attachment 204390

This is definitely needed here in the rainy PacNW.
greyaccesstac1sm.jpg

http://adventuretrailers.com/flippac.html
Of course this wouldn't net as much sleeping space as the FlipPac is designed for now, but it could work for 1-2people perhaps.
I proposed this to Martin at AT Trailer when I was recently down there but supposedly there is not that much calling for this setup.
All it would take is a few hydraulic shocks like in the RTT's and the FlipPac would stay at your set/desired angle.

There was a Wildernest like that, I have picture of it somewhere's on one of my computers...or flash drives. To be honest I wouldn't want it, loose too much useable space,
I had a Wildernest...awfully nice to use the bed area during the day to toss stuff on, or after a long day on the road, toss it open and climb into bed...no having to rearranging things to make a bed. More open feeling too.

For solo truck cap camping, I use a Roll-a-Cot. No center leg, so it fits over the wheelwell...plus you can use it outside when the weather is nice, packs nice and small too.
Use my rig for a multitude of things, why I don't use built in platform/drawers.

Probably be able to fit two of them in a fullsize truck

http://www.camptime.com/roll-a-cot.htm

20140117_112451.jpg

Last edited:
here is the ARE I got. I work 7-on-7-off, and to save myself the 1.5hr commute (each way), some days I camp out in this. It is nice and roomy. But, I can't do more than hang curtains over the windows inside because of all the other things I have to do with my truck/shell. Hauling firewood, transporting dogs in crates, etc. keeps me from being able to make platforms or do much in the way of interior upgrades. Heck, I even had to cut out my bedliner just to gain that additional half-to-three-quarter-inch interior height......I was *just* shy of being able to stack two larger medium dog crates on top of one another with the bedliner. With it out, I can easily stack them on top of each other. Instead of 6 medium crates with a few smalls on top, I can get 10 or 12 medium crates back there now.

Anyway, the point is I absolutely love my ARE DCU. If you get one, go with the vertical sidewalls and the "radius" front, like I did. That way, you don't lose any interior room from the slope/angle on the sidewalls.

55EA04BC-325B-4D25-88A7-FEF62F419404-882-0000037DD4433F38_zps7d969192.jpg
many years ago I found this post and screenshot it, in 2017ordered and build the same ,but couldn’t find the post until yesterday ,Thanks for the inspiration
IMG_0725.pngIMG_3369.jpeg
many years ago I found this post and screenshot it, in 2017ordered and build the same ,but couldn’t find the post until yesterday ,Thanks for the inspiration

IMG_3368.jpeg

bjp

Rez roamer, dog wrangler
Very, very nice. You went all out -- luxury wood walls and everything. Nice to see another boxy build. I wish I still had mine. Should have kept it (like I need yet another vehicle, but anyways). I bought a new 2021 Tundra (in 2021) and now have a GFC. I have almost as much room in this bed as I did with that super box DCU, just because the beds are so deep on newer trucks compared to that first gen.Tundra. Now, after making a dog run, I still have a place to sleep with the bed full of poopy crates.

mnewxcv

Observer
this is a new enough thread to drop a reply to I hope, but on this same topic I was looking for a good option that allows for customization without having to deal with little things to make a regular cap feel complete, along with the pain of trying to figure out if a cap is compatible with my truck (since I was shopping used only). I settled on wanting to find a spacekap and found a used one in rough shape for $400. It has some cracks and damage that needs repairing, and the door latches are all broken/inoperable, but I'm happy with the purchase. Probably not going to build anything permanent into it that takes up too much space since I still use the truck as a truck, but I'll do some things like lighting and 120v power that I can use all the time. The gray truck is the truck it came off of, the yellow one is mine (after a quick trip to the self serve car wash).

Attachments

• 409737288_24615976018016634_8984962240885386671_n.jpg
    409737288_24615976018016634_8984962240885386671_n.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 409237509_24347796958197363_3725414904519650315_n.jpg
    409237509_24347796958197363_3725414904519650315_n.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7159.jpeg
    IMG_7159.jpeg
    598.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_7161.jpeg
    IMG_7161.jpeg