Expedition trailers, would you buy/build one again?

Tex68w

Beach Bum
For those of you who use an expedition trailer, is it worth it and would you do it again? I understand they provide the real estate necessary for those of you with a mid-size vehicle that is already limited on space, but for those of you using one in conjunction with a full-size rig, how do you feel about it?

I am considering building one to use with my F-250 so that I am not forced into having a full-time option on top of my truck for my RTT. I want the security of being able to lock away my belongings in the bed on a daily basis with something as simple as a bed cover, but I don't want to be forced into a $4K camper shell that's on full-time and fragile in the environment of off-road travel, nor do I want to go with a rack that while cheaper doesn't provide secured space out of the elements for my belongings either. There seems to be no perfect route to pursue here in order to meet my form and function needs short of swapping back and forth between the two and I refuse to add that work and complexity to my maintenance program. Enter the expedition/adventure trailer option!

The main drawbacks I see to the whole expedition/adventure trailer lifestyle are the fact that I now have something else to pose a liability in terms of breaking down or needing attention and of course the added cost. I like the idea of having the ability to setup camp for a few days and leaving it without needing to break it down and then set it back up every day, but that's only useful when you stay in one area for an extended period of time. I have concern as well for the added complexity of dragging the trailer down a trail when traveling without a remote base camp to return to. Is it that big of a deal or do you just adapt and learn to deal with the added complexity? How much damage do they incur from off-road travel over technical trails? I am not worried about losing power or fuel efficiency with one as I doubt I'll even know its back there with a 3/4 ton diesel.

Thanks for the replies in advance, I appreciate any and all input in regards to the subject. I don't want to make a $20K+ mistake if it can be avoided by asking a few questions of those who are in the know.

Last edited:

SoDakSooner

Adventurer
Yep, for sure. I like having the option to do it either way depending on the type of trip. Really don't like rockcrawling with the RTT on the Jeep. Been there done that(see below), however was nice to have it on top of the jeep while elk hunting and I was by myself so didn't need all the extra room.

As far as the trailer goes, obviously a surplus one, and hasn't seen anything but road use, but sure nice not breaking down when just camping, or at an off road park, or just touring out of a central location.

Attachments

• colorado jeep.jpg
    colorado jeep.jpg
    470.7 KB · Views: 46
  • vnotch.jpg
    vnotch.jpg
    475 KB · Views: 49
  • trailer23.jpg
    trailer23.jpg
    482.9 KB · Views: 50

Mccool

Observer
I think they definitely have pros and cons. I have a full size suv. I'm building a trailer because we are a family of 6, And because I don't want my tent on top of my truck full time.

I can't speak to most of your questions though, as I haven't finished my trailer.

I would buy again sooner if I had a do over, I originally went down the path of trying to set my Jeep up for "overlanding" but lets face it very few of us actually do true overlanding but rather more do car camping with a basecamp and then wheel or hike/bike from there so having everything on your vehicle becomes a pain. I don't worry about the trailer off-road at all except for going down narrow trails as it makes turning around challenging if you don't go past a pullout you can use. Theoretically it just sits in the garage ready to go so as long as I replace things when I get back I could hook it up, stop at a store to stock the fridge and then be on my way to camp but I'm still working on perfecting that with the right gear build out & organization on the trailer.

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
I have an M416 that I've pulled behind my Jeep through Colorado and Utah. Pulled it behind my F250 a bit too. I haven't used it in 3 or 4 years, but am hoping to more now that the wife has a JK and we can get out in the woods with more than one rig. I am getting a new truck soon and had thought about mounting the RTT to the bed of the truck for less adventurous trips. I went through a similar thought process, the pain of moving it back and forth and occupying the bed, or having another potential liability.
As of today (subject to change of course) I am leaning towards pulling the M416 with the new truck. It will need some more street worthy tires are the ones on there now are some really old and dry rotted 33's BFG Muds (pre KM). They hold enough air to take wheeling, but not enough for extended highway trips. I will probably also replace the pintle with a lok n roll or something similar.
As far as a trailer limiting where you can go . . . it depends. My Jeep is a long arm'd ZJ on 35's and I've yet to run into a situation where I was in over my head. But a lot of that has to do with planning. I won't take the trailer over Black Bear for example, the switchbacks are just too much. But any trail in Ouray/Silverton up to that, not a problem at all. We've pulled it over Imogene and several others in the area, as well as Moab. The base camp concept allows you to do trails without having to bring the trailer with you. For example, on our Moab trip, we took Hurrah Pass to Lockhart all the way down to Needles. We wanted to do Elephant Hill, but due to a couple switchbacks there we did not want to take the trailer. So we set up camp for a few nights at Hamburger Rock Campground and were able to easily explore Needles without the burden of the trailer. A few snapped ring gear bolts made it exciting still, but not backing a trailer down a shelf road exciting. Similar thing in Ouray, found a couple good base camps where we could get to the harder trails, and left the trailer behind.
And it should only cost you $20k if you go to AT or somewhere, or I'm really out of the game. Granted I just about stole my M416, but on top of the cost of the trailer I have less than $2500 in the whole thing.

JandDGreens

Adventurer
I have an M416 that I've pulled behind my Jeep through Colorado and Utah. Pulled it behind my F250 a bit too. I haven't used it in 3 or 4 years, but am hoping to more now that the wife has a JK and we can get out in the woods with more than one rig. I am getting a new truck soon and had thought about mounting the RTT to the bed of the truck for less adventurous trips. I went through a similar thought process, the pain of moving it back and forth and occupying the bed, or having another potential liability.
As of today (subject to change of course) I am leaning towards pulling the M416 with the new truck. It will need some more street worthy tires are the ones on there now are some really old and dry rotted 33's BFG Muds (pre KM). They hold enough air to take wheeling, but not enough for extended highway trips. I will probably also replace the pintle with a lok n roll or something similar.
As far as a trailer limiting where you can go . . . it depends. My Jeep is a long arm'd ZJ on 35's and I've yet to run into a situation where I was in over my head. But a lot of that has to do with planning. I won't take the trailer over Black Bear for example, the switchbacks are just too much. But any trail in Ouray/Silverton up to that, not a problem at all. We've pulled it over Imogene and several others in the area, as well as Moab. The base camp concept allows you to do trails without having to bring the trailer with you. For example, on our Moab trip, we took Hurrah Pass to Lockhart all the way down to Needles. We wanted to do Elephant Hill, but due to a couple switchbacks there we did not want to take the trailer. So we set up camp for a few nights at Hamburger Rock Campground and were able to easily explore Needles without the burden of the trailer. A few snapped ring gear bolts made it exciting still, but not backing a trailer down a shelf road exciting. Similar thing in Ouray, found a couple good base camps where we could get to the harder trails, and left the trailer behind.
And it should only cost you $20k if you go to AT or somewhere, or I'm really out of the game. Granted I just about stole my M416, but on top of the cost of the trailer I have less than $2500 in the whole thing.
"Off topic a little"
Reading this post gives me a lot to look forward to. I am at the half way point on getting my trailer ready for use. (it is not a M416 trailer but it will be about the same size as the one SoDakSooner has in the previous post) But I had some reservations to how well it would do on some of the trails. I can't wait to go on multi-day trips, exploring our great state and the rest of the country. I look forward to repeating our trip to Moab via the Rim Rocker trail.

Last edited:

Flyfishjeep

Adventurer
I have been pulling 1/4 ton military trailers around the Rubicon since I as old enough to drive (I'm 50 now). Most of the time I was hauling in camping gear and supplies for extended stays in the springs, hauling wood around camp and accepting long line cargo slings from helicopters (those were some really good pilots dropping slings right into the trailer!). I have had my days when the trailers were a big pain in the butt and days when a lot of stuff was hauled/moved that would have broken our backs. About 8 years ago I converted one into a full time expedition trailer. I absolutely love it. I have it always loaded with everything except food/water and the clothes for the trip. It makes even quick weekend getaways so much easier and desirable when I don't have to pack/repack every time I get the urge to head out. There are lots of pros and cons, but for me I would never go back to cramming up the jeep and not having comfortable room for my passengers. Maybe just getting old has taken the fun out of sleeping on the ground, but I think I have earned the "glamping" aspect that a trailer brings. Nothing better than dragging the trailer in, setting it up and relaxing, knowing that if we suddenly want to go take a drive we don't have to repack and move on, Having the trailer has added power (think phones, GPS, fridge, lights...need I say more?) and the ability to haul in better food (think no more "rehydrating" your meals and instead a nice thick fillet mignon), more water (hot shower after a long day fishing or hiking anyone?) and even some of the creature comforts YOU might enjoy watching the sun set on top of a mountain at 8,000 +. For me, the advantages outweigh the disadvantages by a mile. As much as you are asking for our input, you need to make the choice. My first suggestion before you make this decision to plunk out some cash or begin building you trailer is to rent or borrow one and see for yourself. In the long run, if you take care of it (regular maintenance on a trailer really only takes a few minutes), keep an eye on your tires and rims for damage, they really are not much to worry about. The vehicle pulling it has a whole lot more to worry about. Sorry so long, but just wanted to share my two cents. : )

Tex68w

Beach Bum
As much as you are asking for our input, you need to make the choice. My first suggestion before you make this decision to plunk out some cash or begin building you trailer is to rent or borrow one and see for yourself.

Great suggestion, but where does one do that? I've seen rentals from Offthegrid, but those are more of the sleep inside tear drop style, where I am considering something as a platform for the RTT.

RagnarD

Adventurer
I would definitely want to try one out before spending 20K.

My suggestion, get a military trailer and just run it as is for a while to see if you like dragging something behind you. If you decide to add a RTT, you could move it towards your new trailer if you decide to go that route.

1.5K should get you a good condition road worthy 1101/2 and your F250 will pull it fine. Maybe end up being happy with the mil trailer and you can outfit it yourself as you need and save some money.

Or, you decide you dont like an expo trailer. Much easier to sell a 1.5K trailer than 20K. Could also just keep it as a general hauler since you dont have much money into it.

Last edited:

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I would definitely want to try one out before spending 20K.

My suggestion, get a military trailer and just run it as is for a while to see if you like dragging something behind you. If you decide to add a RTT, you could move it towards your new trailer if you decide to go that route.

1.5K should get you a good condition road worthy 1101/2 and your F250 will pull it fine. Maybe end up being happy with the mil trailer and you can outfit it yourself as you need and save some money.

Or, you decide you dont like an expo trailer. Much easier to sell a 1.5K trailer than 20K. Could also just keep it as a general hauler since you dont have much money into it.

I have been considering doing exactly this. I have been watching GovPlanet for a while for a M1101/2, but I have yet to see any pop up for auction in Texas. I am not willing to drive out of state for one as I know exactly what to expect in regards to the tires and other aspects of its possible condition.

Last edited:

Fortunt1

Rove rentals has an RTT style trailer they rent. Checkout Overland Gear Exchange is also another option. They're a site where you can list your personal gear for rent and there's several options on there. If they don't have something in your area, sometimes they'll throw a shoutout to try and locate something for you for a weekend

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Rove rentals has an RTT style trailer they rent. Checkout Overland Gear Exchange is also another option. They're a site where you can list your personal gear for rent and there's several options on there. If they don't have something in your area, sometimes they'll throw a shoutout to try and locate something for you for a weekend

Thanks for the heads up on the Overland Gear Exchange, what an awesome resource!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior