Expedition trailer without the trailer?

ttengineer

Adventurer
So I am looking for a very specific product and I'm not even sure if anyone makes it so I'm reaching out to the inter webs for some help.

Essentially I want a expo trailer, like turtleback, patriot camper, conqueror etc, that does not have the axle and frame.

Basically a box that I can put in the bed of the truck for the trip and remove when I'm done.

I need, or at least want, it to have hot water, power, fridge, cooking, drawers, etc. It will need to be water tight, light, and fit under my bed rack but will be able to be taller that the bed rails by about 12". I'm thinking: 6.4' long x 4' wide x 3ish' tall.

Anyone know of someone that offers this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chorky

Observer
http://phoenixpopup.com/

They claim to be able to make just about anything. 100% custom. I contacted them about something similar but have not heard back yet. They did say theyre filling orders for 2018 though, so I would imagine what your looking for is custom - anything custom is expensive and takes a while to get unless you build it yourself.

Chorky

Observer
Haha you replied as I was editing. I'm sure they can make non-pop-up versions. It would probably be easier and cheaper to build too. I'm not sure how I feel about their corner construction though.

ttengineer

Adventurer
I'm thinking something similar to this but opens to the rear and fits in a bed.

cf98a2c75b01b9877d5e8975b9b6af3e.jpg

I would also like the drawers to first pull out to clear the tailgate like this:

43daedfc7c03e7b17119963552e5675a.jpg

And have drawers similar to this:

b92be3352e7884108f4abee6c55795f1.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chorky

Observer
Oh yeah, theres a few good Austrailian companies that build that style of set-up. Can't remember their names though - I'm sure shipping would be rough. But I would check them out for ideas - most Aussie 4X4 expeditions I have seen like to use that sort of set-up and have some very well built rigs.

SamM

Adventurer
Check out the Norweld products at Main Line Overland. Those guys can hook you up. These are made in Australia, so be prepared to spend some coin.

SamM

ttengineer

Adventurer
Yea, I'm familiar with Norweld, I'm just hoping for something American made. Plus the import fees and shipping are usually insane on big stuff like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttengineer

Adventurer
Are there any well known US companies like Norweld or that do similar work?

SamM

Adventurer
It's not likely that there is a similar product to the Norweld units in the US market. If there was, the demand for these would be zero. They are built and tested for and in the Outback. Main Line gets shipments all the time. A custom one off would end up costing you more to have fabricated. Norweld has a good product that will be supported by the dealer. The shipping is not likely to be as much as you imagine. If it was they would not sell them. These are not shipped one item at a time. They fill a container to spread out the cost to make these affordable. I said, affordable not inexpensive. Big difference.

SamM

Capercrew02

Observer
There was a company at expo west called nuthouse industries llc that had two different truck bed slide systems designed for water, fridges, and the whole setup. They said they were easily removable, designed to fit under a hard tonue cover like flipback, and seemed nice. Check them out.

ttengineer

Adventurer
There was a company at expo west called nuthouse industries llc that had two different truck bed slide systems designed for water, fridges, and the whole setup. They said they were easily removable, designed to fit under a hard tonue cover like flipback, and seemed nice. Check them out.

Yea, I'm aware of them. They make a rack for the rambox version of my truck that I would like to get but they are extremely pricy. The rack is $2600 alone and in my opinion over priced. So I'm sure to have them build a box similar to what I'm talking about would be 10-12 grand (which is insane). And at that price I'd rather buy a trailer.

Would you consider building it? I can think of one example straight up if you would go down that path.

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/56146-New-and-Improved-Camper-Box-Build-Ver-2-0

I could build it, but I want it made from aluminum for strength and weight and I don't know how to weld.

I called Turtleback recently and they have been asked several times for a product that I am describing and are considering building one but it's a long way out.

If Patriot campers opens shop here in the states they may be the best one up to the task.

Last edited:

ericvs

Check out my truck. It is a VMI Offroad creation. It is basically a VMI Trailer mounted on a flatbed on my truck. (I know mine is a pop-top and you don't like those, but you don't have to get the pop top option).

My design was more about maximizing storage for gear, but you could easily add a kitchen, slideouts etc depending on what you want. I am picturing the Xtender OX style trailer that would fit in your bed.

Give them a call, they can make pretty much anything you like and would be excited to work on a project like this.

WwqXQU2h.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles