Expedition Trailer Question: Kitchens & Camp

nathansvt

I'm relatively new to vehicle-dependent camping, with most of my camping background coming from backpacking. I'm building an expo trailer and most of the builds I've been checking out have kitchen and food storage built into the trailer body with a RTT capping things off. I'm wondering how this works out in practice. With backpacking I always try to make camp and stake the tents well away from the cooking and eating area, and use bear bags in the mountains and lockable containers in the desert. It's pretty common to see tracks (around here mostly javelina and coyote) near the cooking areas. I'd imagine this is less of an issue in developed areas, but that kind of defeats the purpose of having a go-anywhere platform. What I'm wondering is...

Do people actually use expo trailers in the field? If so, what precautions do you take for keeping wildlife away from the sleeping area if you're cooking on a grill hard-mounted right below it?

I like the convenience of having things all-in-one but I'd rather not climb out of the tent at night to use the bathroom and drop in on a bear or wild pig in the midst of dinner below me.

Septu

Explorer
I'm hoping to build my slide out kitchen this summer off the front of the box on my trailer. I live in bear country (1 bear for every 2 ppl), and honestly am not too concerned about having the kitchen right under my bed. Clean up your gear when you're done, and don't leave food/garbage out. But then I also pack a shotgun just in case. It has never once been an issue... but you never need one till you need one.

ManleyORV

Rugged. Reliable. Ready.
I prefer to have my kitchen mobile so I can setup away from my sleeping area. Not many bears out my way, although I have had a black beat in camp while in PA.

But having it mobile also opens up the options for sites. I think it would always be a pain trying to orientate my trailer in a position where the kitchen is convenient.

-Josh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
I have all of my cooking stuff portable. I can then move it well away from the trailer and tent at night. We usually put the stove and BBQ well away from the trailer(s). Food is either locked up in the Jeep or stashed elsewhere away (up in a tree works).

It is harder to seperate your sleeping and prep with a vehicle or trailer if it is attached. Good question.

Robert Bills

Explorer
My trailer is set up primarily as a field kitchen with a chuck box, 12v fridge, water tank, propane, storage, etc. Currently, I do not use a roof top tent and have no plans for one. My tent is set up well away from the trailer and food not in sealed containers inside the fridge is kept in non-refrigerated sealed containers. When in bear country any food not inside the fridge is stored in a "bear proof" container hung from a tree away from both tent and kitchen. I have never had any critter problems.

Although roof top tents definitely have the cool factor, the cost-benefit analysis doesn't pencil out for me. I am not that concerned with being able to set up and close the tent in just a few seconds and often the best sleeping spot is someplace where the trailer can't be parked. I can buy several high quality tents for the price of one rooftop tent that lacks the flexibility of being used without the trailer. Also, I'm not too keen on climbing up and down a ladder in the middle of the night to "use the facilities."

That being said, everyone's needs are different.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior