Expedition Trailer "must have" and "wish list" items

Buffalobwana

Observer
Let's pretend that budget isn't an issue. What does an expedition trailer need to have, and what would you love to have in/with your trailer.

FYI, this isn't just for kicks and giggles, I really want to know. I'm halfway into a solid trailer, and I want to consider everything. I don't care if it's ridiculous ($) or over the top.

You fell backwards into a pile of money, but don't want a full sized. You want a trailer that gets pulled behind your Tacoma or Jeep, maybe your full sized truck or favorite 3/4 ton. Let's not worry about weight, but you can discuss it, because it is important.

Unless it is physically impossible (like a 200 seat theater), list what you would most desire in your trailer. 240v AC power? 120v AC? 3000 watt inverter? A specific kind of battery/batteries? A specific AC unit? A fridge and a freezer, a compressor, a welder? ... whatever you want to put in/on your trailer, list it please.

First: What a serious, proper, adventure trailer MUST have.
Second: What you would love to have.

Thanks.

ratled

Adventurer
Aside from the solar freezer that will hold two quartered elk and actually add 5 mph to the tow vehicle to me suppression to handle what I plan on taking it through and NOT have too much strapped to it are #1....... it can't look like the Beverly Hillbillies.

Buffalobwana

Observer
Ha! Well, maybe consider some big coolers for 2 Elk. They do take up a lot of room.

You forgot something.

The roof rack to show off the Elk Racks.

I did put Timbren axles on the trailer, so, it's ready for the terrain. I'll add a rack for antlers. Can't believe I didn't think of that.

ttengineer

Adventurer
I don't think it gets much better than the Patriot Campers X1 Grand Tourer or the Conqueror UEV490/440 Platinum.

The kitchen setup on the conqueror is hard to beat but the Patriot X1 has the better tent I think.

It would be hard for me to decide but I may go with the Conqueror since you can add a/c and here in the south that's a very big deal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

xbombtek

Observer
I've never understood why folks have electricity in their trailers. Not knocking it, just not on my list. I'd require sealed dry/dust free storage, an easy to access cargo hold, and the ability to camp and pull duty around my home, hauling lumber, firewood, trash, jeep parts, and be a functional camping aid as well.

JCDriller

Adventurer
I've never understood why folks have electricity in their trailers. Not knocking it, just not on my list. I'd require sealed dry/dust free storage, an easy to access cargo hold, and the ability to camp and pull duty around my home, hauling lumber, firewood, trash, jeep parts, and be a functional camping aid as well.

I spent a few weeks in the southwest last year in late June during the "heat wave" and now I want electricity because I want an AC unit, either shore power or gen set. It's no fun sleeping in 100+*, not just for me but my spoiled GSD really had a tuff time. Princess...

Roaddude

Long time off-grid vanlife adventurist
Good question, Buffalobwana - pretty much just what I've been pondering since winter.

I agree with ttengineer that both the Patriot X1 and Conqueror UEV490/440 trailers are tops and have lots of features to emulate.

I'm seriously contemplating pulling the trigger on a Patriot--now that they're bringing them into the US market--to pull behind my diesel GMC Savana, which hopefully will be getting a 4x4 conversion from Clydesdale in BC and a pop-up from CCV in CO in the next few months.

The owner of Patriot says the newest iteration of the X2 (present version: http://www.patriotcampers.com.au/x2/) will be his favorite for personal and family overland jaunts, but if it retains the pop-up top tent instead of an RTT, which allows added on side walls and bottom for a more substantial base camp footprint, I'll prefer the X1, I think.

As for "must-haves" and "wish-list" items, I want a trailer I can set up and leave behind for the day, maybe longer, as I go out and explore whatever part of US and Canada I'm in, no matter the weather, winter or summer. Some of it may/will be redundant of what I'm planning for my Savana build as far as amenities like kitchen set-up, power source, etc, but my must-haves and wish-list for a regularly-used trailer would include, in no particular order:

- its own sufficient deep cycle batts on board, durable and long-lived enough to sustain periods of extended cold-weather usage (like Newfoundland and British-Columbia) and of no usage at all for extended periods of time should I be hunkered down working on some other project that does not involve being on the road for a bit. Currently I'm looking at Odyssey's PC 1800-FT batteries: http://shop.odysseybattery.com/p/pc1800-ft
- ability to use 110, 12v and solar input and ability for charging the battery bank from either 110 direct or solar
- on-board fresh and grey water tanks. I like Patriot's under-the-floor flat tanks.
- No blackwater tank needed for my own personal style, as I'm planning on, at least so far, setting up a modular portable Nature's Head that I can move between basecamp or Savana, or having one in each. I think their urine diverter, based on AirHead's original design I believe, solves a lot of problems about water-flush, odor, and waste disposal.
- galvanized trailer frame as support with aluminum boxes, for longer life and less maintenance.
- positive air pressure deal like Patriot talks about for their boxes. If you've ever driven down red-dirt or sand roads for miles you know how much of it gets into cabin and box spaces. Creeps right in around door seals, etc. If I'm going to live and explore for extended periods in my vehicle and trailer, I don't want to have to clean and dust off my gear, clothing storage, kitchen ware, etc everytime I get into it.
- great suspension, full-sized tires, and lock-n-roll hitch
- roof-top pop-open tent with option of adding on walls and floor at ground level
- fox-wing style awning to wrap around from side to back
- a lack of over-branding with logos, etc. I don't like overly-noticeable logos on my clothes and won't want to look at logos and branding all over my trailer everyday, either. I'm happy to promote what gear I like and use through conversation and blog, etc, but for the big money I'll pay for a finished trailer, I'd rather not have big logos all over the place. I counted five visible, and large, logos in one view in a Patriot X1 video. Too much for my taste. Maybe it's just excess branding for the video and marketing sake, but was so much that it might kill the deal for me if it's on just about every pull-out, side surface, and mud-flap, no matter who the manufacturer.
- Espar heater running off diesel (which would mean an on-board diesel tank too) which could hopefully heat water too.
- place to mount a spare or two. Best if trailer and tow vehicle share rim and tire size
- I don't care about having a "wine-glass" style kitchen cupboard setup, but sure would like enough sufficient and durable plate and drinking ware in my base camp for up to 4 people, along with solid cookware and a place to store it.
- two burners and a grill space and a place to wash up cookware after meals though I'm not sure I need or want the fancier swing-out setups. Drawers on slides are great.
- 64-80 qt capacity fridge-freezer

Tons more to think of as far as must-haves and wish-list and where the balance is between the two, but for a "If I had my druthers..." style trailer, that's what comes to mind right now.

I know one thing, that even though I can build a house from the ground up on my own that I'd be more than happy to live in, technology and manufacturing advances have enabled the construction of remarkable camp trailers that far exceed what I could do in a one-time self-build for efficiency, weight, tow-ability and over all durability.

I might just be willing to pay good money for that.

Last edited:

Buffalobwana

Observer
Thanks roaddude. Good answer. Lots of stuff to consider. Especially "positive air pressure deal like Patriot talks about for their boxes".

What about a 20-30 gallon air tank? You could run a pneumatic tool for a little while on it. Maybe longer with the right compressor (Maybe enough to get an unforeseen job done). Also could be used for the positive pressure. Airing tires back up after airing them down. I have a ranch and the dust you talk about is invasive. It gets in cracks in everything! A new trailer instantly looks used when I bring it to the ranch. A simple blast of air from an air tool helps if you have to fix something under the truck or trailer. Dust constantly falling in your eyes.

Xbombtek, so you want a double duty trailer. Say, a "416 style open bucket" design that fits a quad or lumber from Home Depot. And then the ability to go camping. Gotcha. What if you did have electricity to charge the batteries on a dewalt, or run a grinder or dremmel to sharpen the chain on a chainsaw or some other manly tool while out doing manly stuff? I guess cost would have to justify its presence. Thank you for the answer.

JCDriller - What AC would you select? That is high on my list (Texas).

Also a question for an electrician, or those electrically minded. Would a 220-240v AC be more energy efficient than a 110-120v ? Do they even make a 240v camper version.

I know 240v requires 2x the number of batteries and inverters and solar panels. But, is the weight of that worth the power? I guess that answer depends on the total weight of other must have's.

Please, more experience based answers. I have learned a couple things so far I didn't think of.

Buffalobwana

Observer
DOMETIC TURBO DTU 6
SELF-CONTAINED AC - 6,000 BTU/H/H - 115V/60HZ/1-PH

220v unit specs
Input voltage (AC 220 V
Input frequency 50 Hz
Starting current - max 17.70 A
Required AC circuit protection min 6.00 A
Required AC circuit protection max 10.00 A

115v specs
Input voltage (AC 115 V
Input frequency 60 Hz
Starting current - max 36.00 A
Required AC circuit protection min 12.00 A
Required AC circuit protection max 15.00 A

Considering a 92% efficiency in converting D.C. To AC ... can someone who is not electrically challenged do the math for me? What battery/solar panel setup would you need JUST to run this AC?

Consider two 2000w pure sine inverters are giving you your 220v of power. (60hz)

Also, can someone answer this. Is marine electricity 50hz while residential is 60hz? Can you run this on a 60hz inverters?

Last edited:

Buffalobwana

Observer
What about the head/toilet. Was thinking of the peat moss toilet. Natures ... something? Has the urine diverter, Does anyone have one? At $1k it's a pricey toilet, but I can see the versitility of one.

What hot water heater would you use and is a "standard sized" gas tank big enough? I know a lot of guys use smaller ones, just curious on these items.

Buffalobwana

Observer
Couldn't even tell what it was! I thought it was an air conditioner at first! They make a lot of assumptions that you know what it is.

That's pretty cool. How much is a unit? And do they make 24v units?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles