Expedition trailer build - old utility trailer

MikeyMagic

Update- I have been very busy working on renovating a house for the last year, but lately I have been trying to finish this trailer build in time for this camping season. I added some lifters for the top which makes it really easy to open, and it stays open so you can unload. Bought some 33 inch duratracs and rims to match my jeep, so that worst case scenario I can leave the trailer and take the wheels for a backup 2nd and 3rd spare. Also added the steel fenders. Still need to permanently reinforce the mounts for the lifters, and reinforce the top to hold some kind of rack (probably just two cross bars to hold a canoe/kayak). Overall I am happy with how it is looking, this weekend Ill finish up the trailer wiring (possibly going to switch these out for some LED's) I look forward to hearing some comments!

She won't be winning any beauty contests but I don't need it to be perfect...I just need it to carry my gear!

2.jpeg3.jpeg4.jpeg5.jpeg6.jpeg7.jpegimage.jpeg

screamin

Looking great! Have you taken it out for a test run yet?

I just picked up the same trailer and plan on doing a similar build. What width axle did you go with?

MikeyMagic

Thanks guys.

Screamin- I'd love to see some pictures of your trailer! I can measure the axle tonight, can't remember what size I bought, I know I have some wiggle room on both sides, but it really depends what ur back spacing is on ur rims. So make sure u take that into consideration.

screamin

Thanks MikeyMagic,

Heres a few pics of mine. I just picked it up last weekend. Couple of pics are just sizing up the wheels i'm planning on using.
I'll start a thread once I get the design going. Thanks for all yours and everyones info on the forum!

photo 3.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 1.JPG

MikeyMagic

decided to take it out of the garage today

As it sits right now:
9.jpeg

In this picture you can get an idea of what a 65 inch axle with 4 inch backspaced rim will give you, as far as clearance. (probably too much clearance...but if I was going to be off, I wanted to miss on the axle being too long vs too short, and also if I ever switched rims out, I may need the extra clearance) Oh, and I also saw this sticker and couldn't pass it up :drool:

8.jpg

First trip for this little guy is middle of June. Heading up to the upper peninsula of Michigan, hopefully it warms up, I think the snow just melted...

So before the trip - I'd like to get the kayak rack in and try and mount some jerry cans somewhere????

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior