Expedition Portal Project: 2008 Range Rover Sport

Mack73

Adventurer
On a side note, the coolant bleeder valve disintegrated on our LR3 going over Donner Pass. This is a $12 plastic part that should be changed at least every 50k miles. You will see it on top of the engine and it is a 5 minute change but is prone to failure and a common fault. I upgraded to a metal nipple and keep a spare plastic one for other LR3/RRSs.

Metal bleeder valve: http://www.falconworks.net/parts/LR3_fitting_upgrade.htm

Thanks for the link, I've never been able to track down a metal version.

For what its worth, in the 65k on my '08 I've only had to replace the rear hatch actuator. Everything else has been normal maintenance.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Surprisingly its just as capable if not more. There are certain advantages the H3T had simply because of its equipment. It goes without saying that a truck running front and rear lockers on 35" tires will do some things that one without lockers just wont do. That being said ive run every trail in the sport that I did with the T and its been in most cases, easier. The big advantage the Range Rover has is articulation. (I know funny to say based on the truck) But the sport articulates fairly well while the Hummer is practically a subaru when you try to flex it. It NEEDED those lockers to be effective.

Also on a side note the ride is INFINITELY better on the Range Rover. There are times I miss that hummer though

PJPR01

Adventurer
Nice pics...a few years ago while running the White Rim Trail with a friend in his LR3, we saw a nicely equipped H3 humming along ( no pun intended)...seemed to do quite well over most spots....

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
They are a lot better than people give them credit for. I'm not saying I would buy one again. But I wouldn't hesitate to take one anywhere In the world.

A.J.M

Explorer
Strange questions time.

How do you like the seats? For comfort and support? Especially across the lower back.

Reason for asking. My LR3 HSE has seats with a line across the lower back, which is the cause of my lower back pains due to it sitting my back out of align.
I'm trying to track down a set of RRS front HSE seats to swap over into the LR3, it's been done a few times now.
So, hopefully that will help my back issue as i'm 27 and i can't be having back issues.

Mack73

Adventurer
Strange questions time.

How do you like the seats? For comfort and support? Especially across the lower back.

Reason for asking. My LR3 HSE has seats with a line across the lower back, which is the cause of my lower back pains due to it sitting my back out of align.
I'm trying to track down a set of RRS front HSE seats to swap over into the LR3, it's been done a few times now.
So, hopefully that will help my back issue as i'm 27 and i can't be having back issues.

Does yours have lumbar adjustment? The later LR3's came with this option - maybe you can track down one of those seats instead of trying to swap from a different vehicle which may or may not match the rest

A.J.M

Explorer
I've got lumbar support on it.
Tried it in various positions and it's no use. It seems like the ridge that is the issue is designed into the seat.
It may also by my ( lack of ) height at 5.8 that's an issue.

I know the rrs ones are different but not sure if it has that ridge about 8 inches up the back of the seat.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
I personally love the seats and thats with my back issues after a bad spinal tap. Im not sure about what design aspect you're speaking of but I would be happy to post some pictures of the seat and angles if you'd like.

jh.

ambitiose sed ineptum
Suspension Fault

Ironic that after almost posting about the reliable suspension a few weeks ago, I am now getting a "SUSPENSION FAULT" on my '06 with 93k. :oops:

Jwestpro

Explorer
Strange questions time.

Well, I hate the lr3 seats, all of them lumbar or no lumbar. For a $55-65k vehicle I think it is just plain corporate greed.

If I were to go through the trouble of sourcing seats, which I may, it would be range rover seats, preferably from the 06 supercharged or the "lux" seat option in an hse with their upper backrest articulation. This feature FINALLY came back into the expensive range rovers just this or last year, with the new model as an option, apparently only on the SC or LWB.

It's just laughable actually. My 2008 BMW has 100% better seats with 20 adjustments. Other companies have true luxury seats available with massage and other features.

High Country Nomad

Mountain Explorer
Ironic that after almost posting about the reliable suspension a few weeks ago, I am now getting a "SUSPENSION FAULT" on my '06 with 93k. :oops:
- JH I saw your guy in Jackson last month and he told me about the hard reset, which I did and it worked. I really thought I was going to buy another compressor as the faults were coming on & off every few minutes and even turning red, but all has been clear since. However after another potentially expensive scare I made a hard choice 3 weeks ago. Trading in the sport tomorrow am for a new 4Runner TRD. Where I live it's time to think about reliability a little more and after 3 consecutive LR's I'm trying something new. That being said, if anyone wants a Baja Rack cheap, dog guard, snow chains for 19's - send me a PM. '

epiccosmo

Adventurer
Chris: Did you go with the C or E Load Range Cooper's? Are they still holding up well for you after your off-road excursions? Not chunking or breaking down too badly?

Thinking of putting these on the GC in the exact same size, mostly based on your all's reviews and the price when compared to the other options out there. They will only be used as my off-road set-up so not really any on-road use other than getting to the destination.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier