Expedition Portal at the 2012 Outdoor Retailer Winter Show

General Automag

Adventurer
The Outdoor Retailer show is in Salt Lake City, Utah http://www.outdoorretailer.com/. They have two shoes each year, a Spring show and a Winter show. It's an expo for clothing, footwear, and all sorts of outdoor gear. 'We had a retail outlet for 6 years and have been an outfitter and in the firearms business for just over 20. If you're into the outdoor sports or are of the Boy Scout/self-sufficiency/survivalist/camping-hiking/traveling mindset or just like to see interesting and new gear, then this show is very good to visit. (If you decide to go and need real credentials in order to get in the show, just send me an PM)

Finally, over the past 5-6 years, I'm starting to see the REI/Northface/greenie-weenie-eco type of companies merge and meld with the outdoor hunter/Cabelas companies. There's a quite a noticeable amount of carryover from the LE (law enforcement) and military. Just this last year, Remington bought out Mountain Khakis, and Woolrich has displaying their tactical line of clothing.

The downside of knowing what there is to know about fabrics, clothing, footwear, gear, etc. and what is available out there is how disappointing it is when we do visit other stores such as REI, BassPro Shops, and others. There's some great gear out there these days and it only is getting better!

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Enjoyed the show for a few hours this morning, nothing too spectacularly new that I spied but there is a customers 40 Series that is worth stopping to see :D

The googles with heads up display have some promise, wondering what the potential is for them on a moto application with GPS and partner locating in play. Lets see some pics :D

MattScott

Approved Vendor
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327084844.155776.jpg

The ExOfficio 'Sol Cool'

It uses three distinct technologies to keep your body almost 5 degrees colder.

Adventurerider

Adventurer
I was there today as well, fairly good show this year, will you be attending tomorrow as well? If so, maybe we could get together to say hello, I always enjoy meeting other board members. If your interested just pm me and I'll keep a look out for it.
Cheers.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
Here's some more images from Outdoor Retailer - Day One

MAT_4654.jpg

Goal Zero has been really busy company since we last saw their products; they just released the new Sherpa 50, converting to a new one piece design.
MAT_4655.jpg

Power ports.
MAT_4671.jpg

Top (old) Bottom (new)
MAT_4674.jpg

Goal Zero has just released the Yeti 1250 - It will power a household refrigerator for up to 4 days.
MAT_4675.jpg

MAT_4676.jpg

I'm really impressed with this unit - It can be used in your house, and in you
MAT_4680.jpg

MAT_4696.jpg

Ice Cool sells a high-end cooler that is comparable to a YETI unit at a lower cost.
MAT_4701.jpg

I'm a big fan of products that push the envelope, and especially when they do it in America, with American parts. Terrastrenua is making a lightweight out of the box sleep cot.
MAT_4702.jpg

Carbon Fiber beams support the cot.
MAT_4704.jpg

MAT_4707.jpg

It folds up to be incredibly light and compact. This unit is a prototype and they're hoping to make it even smaller and more lightweight.
MAT_4722.jpg

With this unit you can actually charge your devices via hydrogen
MAT_4725.jpg

It's called the powertrekk.
MAT_4726.jpg

It appears to be built very stoutly.
MAT_4728.jpg

This compact stove starts off, and ends as a stainless tube, everything you see is self contained in the closest tube.
MAT_4751.jpg

Here's the largest pair of Mountain Khakis you'll likely ever see.
MAT_4762.jpg

Nike has a Sportsmobile, that's awesome!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94