Expedition Overland 2013 Tacoma Build

KiwiKurt

Explorer
Also, did the Tacoma end up with a larger fuel tank/secondary tank? Or did it run this expedition on stock fuel capacity?

Thanks!

Another question with the A/T's tires you have chosen. Any photos of after the trip to the AK/YK trip. Personally, I just wanna see how well the "sidewalls" held up?

Sent from my lifted UFO!

snwbrdr852

First off, I just want to say that you guys produce some awesome stuff. I've gotten a chance to see all of the available episodes of season 2 and I'm really enjoying it. Great work!

Having said that, I also want to say that it's a HUGE bummer that the majority of season 1 isn't available anymore. I would love to be able to see those episodes as well...
I read the post saying something about redundant information or whatever, and honestly, I wouldn't care!!
And I'm sure there are lots of other people like me who only found out about the series recently and would be thrilled to have access to the older content.
It seems to me that you're missing out on extra revenue that would continue to be generated from season 1... So I hope you will consider making those episodes available again.

Also, I've noticed that there are A LOT of questions on the build/trip going unanswered.
I completely understand that you guys are focusing all efforts on the new season and I appreciate all the work you put into making the series so great.
If it's a matter of priority in terms of spending time on things that will generate income (which is obviously understandable for a business),
maybe you guys could do another series of videos going over the build and answering questions and such. Just a thought...

Anyway, thanks for all the hard work, and keep it up!

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
i too would like to see a series on the build. i had much more fun watching the mechanical aspects and the vehicle challenges with obstacles than i have the people aspect. i feel like that was lost on season 2. i know there is a lot to cover, but its more of documenting a road trip instead of filming an intense problem you overcame. don't get me wrong I'm still having fun watching and i love the series, but it lost a bit of its spark i feel because of that.

I'm sure clay and scott are working feverishly to watch, notate and cut all of their film work to put the episodes together within their timeframes they wanted to do (and am sure are bound by through their sponsors) but i too wish for more updates and questions answered.

southernboy30

i too would like to see a series on the build. i had much more fun watching the mechanical aspects and the vehicle challenges with obstacles than i have the people aspect. i feel like that was lost on season 2. i know there is a lot to cover, but its more of documenting a road trip instead of filming an intense problem you overcame. don't get me wrong I'm still having fun watching and i love the series, but it lost a bit of its spark i feel because of that.

I'm sure clay and scott are working feverishly to watch, notate and cut all of their film work to put the episodes together within their timeframes they wanted to do (and am sure are bound by through their sponsors) but i too wish for more updates and questions answered.

I have to agree. I really enjoy the series, especially episode 1, and the Idaho expedition. I look forward to a documentary on the Tacoma build. I will be getting mine soon and currently doing a cost analysis to build one to do up to trail rating 2, up to two weeks expedition. You guys rock!

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I love what you guys do. I think you're doing a fantastic job of living life to the fullest and taking us along for the ride. I really enjoy watching the way you guys see the world. It's the same way I like to see it. It's very inspiring.

That being said...

I'd tend to agree with some of the other statements on here. I would love to see the season 1 episodes available again. I saw them and have wanted to watch them again. I was super bummed when I went to watch the old ones a while back and they weren't available anymore. I understand there's a bit of information redundancy between season 1 and season 2, but that's not really a big deal. A lot of people want to see how this all started out and where you guys came from, and I think it'd be good to show them. I loved the first season, and I'd love to see it again.

As for the differences in this season, I can understand why a lot of people aren't as hot for it as they were the previous season, especially among the community here on the Portal. A lot of people on here are really big off road people, and they loved seeing the trucks tackle technical or difficult terrain. There is much less of that during this season. This may be because there isn't an abundance of this up there, but I doubt it. I think it's more a fact that you guys are exploring the more populated parts of Alaska. You guys are taking your time to experience the places you're passing through, not just going off into the backcountry. I'm guessing people expected more of the first season's style in this season. More off road and backcountry. I would like to see more of that as well, but I know overlanding is as much about the people and culture you experience as it is the terrain you tackle.

All that being said, again, I love the work you guys do, and I love the series. As someone who loves experiential travel, I think you guys are doing a great job at exhibiting it. Going overland isn't only about the off road and technical terrain, although it has a lot to do with it. It's about taking your time, enjoying the journey, and experiencing the places you travel through. What makes overlanding special and unique is that it involves taking the roads less traveled, quite literally. It's about traveling through the landscape over rough terrain to get where you're going, enjoying the journey as much as the destination. That's the benefit of it. You slow down and experience it, not just pass through.

Keep up the good work!

BC Explorer 1

Just wanted to say that you guys and gals are great and what an adventure.
Your web site is stunning and the quality of the video production is top notch and one could hope that you produce a DVD for purchase of your adventure.

Awesome job guys and thanks.

Christopher

Last edited:

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Really cool stuff you guys are doing! Keep on doing what you want and make yourselves happy. Dig the current series.

ExpeditionOverland

Supporting Sponsor
Clay-

You mentioned that the tires havent been a problem on the Tacoma. Do you feel like these General AT2 tires have been the right compromise for the trip between needing grip in varuous surfaces and the long miles traveled? Or would something closer to a mud terrain have been better?

Thanks.

I think that they were absolutely a great choice. A mud terrain would have been nice at times but we did a ton of general gravel and quite a bit of highway. It was a great tire. I would run them again on this trip.

Clay-

ExpeditionOverland

Supporting Sponsor
We have specific advisors on our show that shape its structure. We hear praises and criticism everyday, thats part of the gig. A quick remark is not a something we need to put our energy into.
That said in regards to your comments, we are not afraid to put ourselves out there even though our conversations and perhaps leadership isn't perfect. We hear what your saying but note that there are far more things at play behind the scenes than these vignettes of conversations can convey. We were obligated to go to Prudhoe Bay and it was and expedition goal from the beginning of our planning and proposals. We are also now on track to complete the pan american highway as a crew which is a long term goal. A business plan is a business plan even though some at the time may not be that interested in it, it may require a guy running up there to get it done. All members were glad we had done it. Food for thought.

Lets try and keep this thread on topic around the Tacoma. Critiques and thoughts can be directed to Info@xoverland.com
Clay-

Wouldn't you like to know why? Unfortunately I share funkymonkey's sentiment. The first season felt like a real introspective adventure series. The current season seems more like a Survivor/Big Brother reality series.

Another thing that I found concerning in this episode specifically was that you were willing to break up your team to chase your own personal goal. The discussion wasn't about "does everyone want to go to Prudhoe Bay?" It was "I'm going to Prudhoe Bay, if people want to come that's fine but I'm going either way." That was a tense scene and an example of poor leadership/teamwork. You are definitely lucky to have people on your team who are so supportive even when they don't seem to have the ability to change your mind.

Even with all that said - I watch the shows for the trucks and the scenery. Both are spectacular. I'll usually turn on some Sigur Ros or Explosions in the Sky and just watch the episodes for the visuals.

Last edited:

brushogger

Explorer
We have specific advisors on our show that shape its structure. We hear praises and criticism everyday, thats part of the gig. A quick remark is not a something we need to put our energy into.
That said in regards to your comments, we are not afraid to put ourselves out there even though our conversations and perhaps leadership isn't perfect. We hear what your saying but note that there are far more things at play behind the scenes than these vignettes of conversations can convey. We were obligated to go to Prudhoe Bay and it was and expedition goal from the beginning of our planning and proposals. We are also now on track to complete the pan american highway as a crew which is a long term goal. A business plan is a business plan even though some at the time may not be that interested in it, it may require a guy running up there to get it done. All members were glad we had done it. Food for thought.

Lets try and keep this thread on topic around the Tacoma. Critiques and thoughts can be directed to Info@xoverland.com
Clay-

Haters gonna hate man. Keep up the good work. I hope you guys will be at Expo. I'd like to meet you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KiwiKurt

Explorer
Michael_Jackson_popcorn.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles