Expedition Overland 2013 Tacoma Build

Sombrio

I think there are two separate baja racks. One for the cab and one for the canopy. There would be too much flex to be one rack.

ExpeditionOverland

Supporting Sponsor
We put on two Baja racks. One on the front is a mesh floor that mounts to the factory roof rack bracket holes in the roof. the rear is another flat rack with cross bars and we installed it backwards on purpose so the the two back ends would be flush. Then we mounted a Rigid LED light on the rear wind deflector bar for a back up lamp. They have been fantastic Racks and now issues thus far. Even after a full expedition and many months of use post expedition.

Clay-

Tech question. How did you mount the Baja Rack to the cab and truck cap? Does the truck flexing affect the mounting point?
Thanks

getoutside

Observer
Clay and crew,

another gentleman and I had posed a question here on the thread while you guys were on your trip. Since you guys were on the move it sort of got lost in the shuffle. I have been following this thread (and I have watched all the episodes thus far) and was wondering what your GPS/NAV setup consisted of? I have noticed the ipad/tablet you guys are running in the tacoma and was just wondering the specifics. What mapping software did you guys chose and why? which GPS receiver are you guys using and is it bluetooth? Mounting solutions? Did all this stuff work the way you wanted, and would you change anything?

EDIT-Just read the couple pages I had missed an saw the post about video production eating manpower as well as more to come in the thread about vehicle details. I would assume that my NAV question will be answered in due time. Sorry for not ensuring I had read everything before asking a question.

Thanks, V/R,

SFC Morgan Merrill

Last edited:

voodoojk

Adventurer
Clay and crew,

another gentleman and I had posed a question here on the thread while you guys were on your trip. Since you guys were on the move it sort of got lost in the shuffle. I have been following this thread (and I have watched all the episodes thus far) and was wondering what your GPS/NAV setup consisted of? I have noticed the ipad/tablet you guys are running in the tacoma and was just wondering the specifics. What mapping software did you guys chose and why? which GPS receiver are you guys using and is it bluetooth? Mounting solutions? Did all this stuff work the way you wanted, and would you change anything?

EDIT-Just read the couple pages I had missed an saw the post about video production eating manpower as well as more to come in the thread about vehicle details. I would assume that my NAV question will be answered in due time. Sorry for not ensuring I had read everything before asking a question.

Thanks, V/R,

SFC Morgan Merrill

X2

Triumphdog

Adventurer
Thanks for responding. I've been away from my computer due to Big Sur forest fire. I'm considering a similar set up for hauling lumber, and building materials.

TacomaJack09

Observer
Clay and crew,

Thanks, V/R,

SFC Morgan Merrill

X3! I have an Ipad wifi only and I'm currently using the Dual Xgps150 via Bluetooth. But I haven't found software that I'm completely happy with. Interested in this mod as well.

Anyhow, the episodes and this build thread have been amazing and truly inspiring! Thank you guys!

Dmski

Adventurer
Been watching since the first season and its great to see what you have done! Keep up the good work!

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
Clay, I know you guys said you were really concerned about axle breakage when you guys were stuck, especially being stuck in that sandy sediment mud that acts like a vacuum; but the standard process for mud is wheel spin to clear the treads from obstructions. Why did you move so slowly and get yourself stuck?

Dmski

Adventurer
I'd agree but also add that when you are stuck stuck like they were, its better to leave well enough alone and just begin recovery. Especially that far out in the bush.

Osugoose

Clay, what do you carry as far as spares on a trip like that? Any drivetrain components (u-joints, cv shafts, anything like that?) I only ask cause I'm a little paranoid about things like that (I was debating an M416 style trailer because I could make the track similar to my tacoma. I could mount it on a tacoma rear end, springs, and wheels and have spares for almost everything without a ton of unnecessary weight on the trailer, if I ever get to do some international traveling.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
I'd agree but also add that when you are stuck stuck like they were, its better to leave well enough alone and just begin recovery. Especially that far out in the bush.

Right, but if they would have gone into it with a higher wheel speed than just crawling, as well just having the center and rear diff engaged off the batt - probably wouldn't have gotten stuck in the first place

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles