Expedition Overland 2013 Tacoma Build

Greenbean

B.S. Goodwrench
Be careful with usig Verizon 4g for gps constantly. A couple year ago we did a cross country drive using the GPS on our phone and it burned through tons of data. I want to say we used 3-4 gb's in 4 days :(

That is not cool, Sorry about that!

I am hoping to acquire a GPS/Bluetooth antenna and link it to my iPad in a week or so and try the app listed above,

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I have an iPad Air wifi paired Garmin GLO. Works great. GLO connects via Bluetooth and has a 24 hour battery life on one charge.
I use motionx app for maps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Be careful with usig Verizon 4g for gps constantly. A couple year ago we did a cross country drive using the GPS on our phone and it burned through tons of data. I want to say we used 3-4 gb's in 4 days :(

GPS part is free. The data you were burning up was probably loading the maps. If you preload your maps you can turn data off and GPS should still work.

Kole

Adventurer

GPS part is free. The data you were burning up was probably loading the maps. If you preload your maps you can turn data off and GPS should still work.

What he said ^^^

If you know the area you will be traveling in then you can download the specific map tiles for that entire section of land at home over WIFI and you will use zero data.

EDIT:
Not to mention, you CAN NOT rely on data for your primary navigation. The places we go there is no data. Even in well covered areas you can lose the signal at the bottom of a hill. If you are using a tablet or smart phone ALWAYS pre-load the tiles for the ENTIRETY of the area you will be exploring.

brushogger

Explorer
What he said ^^^

If you know the area you will be traveling in then you can download the specific map tiles for that entire section of land at home over WIFI and you will use zero data.

EDIT:
Not to mention, you CAN NOT rely on data for your primary navigation. The places we go there is no data. Even in well covered areas you can lose the signal at the bottom of a hill. If you are using a tablet or smart phone ALWAYS pre-load the tiles for the ENTIRETY of the area you will be exploring.

This x2! I have the USFS maps for AR in my Gaia GPS app and its 27meg. In TopoMaps I have huge portions of AR,NM, AZ,CO, southeast OK, the eastern 1/2 of the TAT, and the CDT from Canada to Mexico with many off shoots and its 2.7gig. They don't take up much space

Greenbean

B.S. Goodwrench
I just won a used Dual XGPS150A on eBay and purchased the 20 bundle of GAIA in my iPad. It's a 4th Gen 64GB, not to worried about storage. I'm looking forward to trying this out on some local dirt roads here in the neighboring counties. And getting used to how it tracks and such.

On a more topic related item, lol...
I'm Really looking forward to the details on their 4runners.

Greenbean

B.S. Goodwrench
Anyone know what paper maps they used as guide maps when going up through Canada and AK?

Just basic Rand McNally or Nat Geo or something else???

carbon60

Explorer
Anyone know what paper maps they used as guide maps when going up through Canada and AK?

Just basic Rand McNally or Nat Geo or something else???

I didn't notice them, are any logos or cookouts visible? I might recognize them.

I use satellite photos and federal topographic maps. All available free of charge via GIS servers.

A.

Greenbean

B.S. Goodwrench
I have been reviewing the footage from some of the Exp videos while they took the Tacoma to AK,
Just saw something CRAZY in Episode 9, at about 22.05 you see the Tacoma pass in front of the camera, right after it is the Land Cruiser, watch the left rear tire on the LC. Holy Smokes it was wobbling!

I am SO thankful they were able to get that repaired because it was really just hanging on there!

You can almost see it in this still,

20150426_033852_zps3nq81pom.jpg

hmcgimp11b

Does anyone know what rims Expedition Overland is running on the 2013 Tacoma? They almost look like OEM, but I thought you had to run spacers on the stock 16" tire when installed with 285's?

Greenbean

B.S. Goodwrench
They are stock TRD Off Road wheels, painted or powder coated black.
I thought as long as you stayed stock in width you could run a 285 with no issues.

Good question, I hope to lift my Tacoma eventually but will run a 255/85/R16.

Gabex35

Adventurer
Does anyone know what rims Expedition Overland is running on the 2013 Tacoma? They almost look like OEM, but I thought you had to run spacers on the stock 16" tire when installed with 285's?

I'm sure they bought some space by using aftermarket UCA's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz