Expedition Overland 2013 Tacoma Build

retroP59

Pop Top
If XO were doing the Alaska trip again...

If you were doing the Alaska trip again... what tires would be on the tacoma?

I'm guessing there would be many great questions like this if XO was enthusiastic about answering them.

The food strategy explained in ep. 8 was really valuable first hand knowledge. Any chance for her to elaborate on that subject with regard to all things kitchen? tool and gear recommendations would be great, if you had more space? if you had less space? must haves? might be a good opportunity for a spread sheet here?

OK, you dropped all this food knowledge and then the groceries didn't fit in the truck. LOL, these are the moments reality tv shines, that type of thing just doesn't work when its scripted. The series is really entertaining. Everyone watching is grateful that you were brave enough to take the journey and film it. Gracefully done, thanks and congrats.

funkymonkey1111

do you guys really think they're going to criticize their sponsor's tires or say a competitor's tires would be a superior alternative to the tires provided by the sponsor?? There's not a general tire sticker on the side of these rigs because the show thinks they look cool.

Hoover77

I have a couple of questions regarding the Baja Rack and the RTT with the ARE CX shell. Does the Baja Rack mount to the Yakima Tracks on the CX shell? and is the CX shell strong enough to support the rack and the RTT or did you have to add additional support. Some closer pics of the mount would be great!

KiwiKurt

Explorer
I asked the tire question of Clay and he answered a few posts back. He was pleased with the at2 for the trip. If he thought a more aggressive tire would have been better, he could have suggested one from GT......

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
i suspect clay would have recommended the General Grabber Red if he wanted a more aggressive tire, which is a bad *** tire in itself. it put it against a crummy KM2 any day

mike2100

Observer
I have a couple of questions regarding the Baja Rack and the RTT with the ARE CX shell. Does the Baja Rack mount to the Yakima Tracks on the CX shell? and is the CX shell strong enough to support the rack and the RTT or did you have to add additional support. Some closer pics of the mount would be great!

Same thing I was thinking. I think the advertised weight limit of the ARE CX shell is 150 lbs. With a tent and 2 people you go waaayyy over that limit. But what I'm not sure is - is that limit while driving or at rest? To get a higher limit the only thing I've found is the Leer 100RCC (contractor grade) at 400 lbs or a Snug Pro at 500 lbs. I'm stuck trying to decide on what to do. I really like the ARE options, but the 150 lb load limit is freaking me out. It would be nice to know how the ARE is holding up, but I don't suppose we'll be able to get any constructive criticism about any of their sponsored products :(

BTW you can get a tracks-only option with the ARE so that you can mount a baja rack or front runner straight to the tracks (without needing the cross bars). This gets the load lower.

birdmann

Observer
Been following the teams travels via YouTube. All I have to say is, well done. Good to see you putting those a/t's through hell, and making it out ok. Most people think you need to run a mud tire for trips like these. Safe travels y'all.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

Explorer
Great work guys, nice to see Montana folks representing our great culture in such a professional way, you guys get it done well. Thanks for the entertainment and inspiration.

Clint & Rachel

fjrohrs

Adventurer
Interested in this response as well. Looking to put a cap on my rig and am between the reinforced Snugtop or the ARE. Both are similar in price when spec'd out.

MTD

Observer
I am just starting my Overland build and will have to watch all of your videos! I love the Land Cruiser! It's classy :ylsmoke:

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
The piranha shower is installed on the tacoma and works great! We used it multiple times through out the trip. Upwards of 15 i suppose in 6 weeks. Very handy!

I had started watching episode 6 at work, but went back to the start when I got home- Wife walks in and sees a shower wand coming out from under the hood- "Can we get one of those?"
...me "If that's what it takes, yes we can" What good is bringing the kitchen sink, if you don't have hot water to put in it.

DiabloBlanco

Im hooked watching the videos. I am also just starting building up my tacoma for expedition travel and I have learned alot watching Expeditions Overland. I love the cinematography yall guys put into it. Very inspiring. I would love to due an Alaskan trip. But being from Texas it would be a long travel to then "start" the trip one at the Canadian border. Alo inspired to learn a little more in the photography and filming department. Could make family vacation videos more enjoyable. Hungry for more....

jpat30

Adventurer
Im hooked watching the videos. I am also just starting building up my tacoma for expedition travel and I have learned alot watching Expeditions Overland. I love the cinematography yall guys put into it. Very inspiring. I would love to due an Alaskan trip. But being from Texas it would be a long travel to then "start" the trip one at the Canadian border. Alo inspired to learn a little more in the photography and filming department. Could make family vacation videos more enjoyable. Hungry for more....

Agreed; as a fellow Texan, I am insanely jealous. I have watched their videos numerous times and hawk their site to see when the next installment is dropped. I love how they just seem like really down to earth folks; the type you could sit around the campfire drinking a cold beer with swapping stories all night. Definitely living the dream, that's for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94