Expedition Ops Outfitters Rear bumper prototype

Box Rocket

Box Rocket,
I really like how your bumper tucks under the tailgate. well done. Love the hitch setup too!

It doesn't sit too far under the tailgate. It's a 3x5" tube and it's almost all exposed. That way I have a small step as well rather than have it flush with the back of the body.

_MG_0159.jpg

I also need to figure out a way to light my license plate. I've got the plate mounted to a lighweight tube that fits into the receiver, at least for now.

_MG_0145.jpg

datree

What will be the weight difference between the single swing out and the dual???
what is the current weight of the bumper?

It looks great, keep up the good work.:victory:

corax

Explorer
I also need to figure out a way to light my license plate.

I bought an LED license plate light from one of the local automotive parts chain stores recently for < $15. Neat thing about it is that the LED mounting holes line up with the license plate mounting holes. Here's what it looks like:

LED-license-Plate-Light-01.jpg

womacje

Adventurer
Box,

Those arms look sexy! Very good plan! Thanks for the tip on the led plate light, that's perfect. I like the double shear idea, will you build up more pro on the side of the truck to tie the hinge points into?

In regards to the stop pin:
The lock pin is canned on a lever, destaco part hold down is the name I think. Reidsupply sells them on line or look for a tool and die supply shop near you. It was $20 and mcmaster wants 13 for spring pins... This is stronger and a more positive lock.

Tejas,

Thanks for the link. I'll pass this on to John.

DaTree,

I'm not sure the weight on this first prototype, but an additional swing out will probably net another 50lbs. Just a little more tube another spindle and latches.

Thanks for all the good tips here guys!

Tacoma4life

Here is the post... this mainly happens to the 2nd Gen Tacos.
That have tire gate bumpers.

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?p=363159#post363159

Here is another link. I believe all pre-2001 Tacoma's have this frame weakness, but even though the 2001-2004 models were improved, it's still a recommended modification.

http://www.tankota.net/Misc/Bentframe/framebent.htm

And here are TG's frame plates for reference.

http://www.trail-gear.com/tacoma#bumper

womacje

Adventurer
After Box Rockets recommendation, I went online and found some of the illuminated plate bolts, very cool.

Box Rocket,

I went thru your entire build, should have been sleeping, but, it was a great read! I'm tempted to go the Taco route when my LX450 dies... Leather and creature comforts are hard to leave though! How does the taco treat you for comfort?

Box Rocket

After Box Rockets recommendation, I went online and found some of the illuminated plate bolts, very cool.

Box Rocket,

I went thru your entire build, should have been sleeping, but, it was a great read! I'm tempted to go the Taco route when my LX450 dies... Leather and creature comforts are hard to leave though! How does the taco treat you for comfort?

I love the Tacoma, but if you noticed, I've got an 80 series cruiser too. They are definitely different, but have their stengths and there are reasons why I like each of them for different reasons. But I love my Tacoma.

womacje

Adventurer
Very to the point, great little write up. That trip you took with Paul and the Utah gang was pretty awesome. I definitely need to live out there so I can hop on some of these trips I keep hearing about from Paul. Super jealous.

womacje

Adventurer
Impact testing!

Johnny tested the bumper just recently. Colorado roads, as well as the rest of the US it seems, were nice and slippery. He wound up doing a 270+/- and slammed into a guard rail right at the rear quarter protection. Success, the guard rail was in bad shape and Johnny's truck was in great shape. He reports no bending or damage aside from scuffed paint!

Needless to say, I'm very proud of the bumper we built.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz