Expedition One Rear Bumper

chet6.7

Explorer
I started a new thread as I don't want to clutter up the two build threads where this bumper is discussed.
I called Expd 1 on June 11 to have the problematic D brackets deleted,Roger said he will get back to me.
I called again today and got Roger,he said he would check and get back to me,he did call back a short time later.He informed me the holes for the brackets are already cut,I could have a new bumper cut,but that would add a lot of time to the build,or,I could have the holes welded/filled. I chose getting the holes filled,I hope it looks OK.:unsure:

Kingsize24

Well that sucks! Hopefully all goes well for you. However, It should be no different than any other welded spot on the bumper. Once coated I bet you can't tell a thing if they properly grind the welds down flat on the face surface.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
They told me it could be done for a custom charge fee of $50, I have proof of the correspondence if you would like it. Now if your bumper is already being built then I can understand their position.

chet6.7

Explorer
I got this email today after talking with Roger.
*** This Sales Order has been updated to remove the recovery shackle mounts. By doing so this will make this a custom bumper and cannot be returned. With any custom item, there is a $50 fee even though it will not cover the time to fill in the holes. ***
It would have been nice if at the time of my order it would have been explained that there are problems with the sensors and the D ring brackets.There is a warning now,but I don't recall reading it back in May,or recall it being mentioned when ordering. I am open to correction from members.
EXP One should give people the option when ordering if they can't get their current design to work properly,it can't be that hard to have the option,just don't cut the hole.
Back in the day the neighbor of a friend backed over and killed his own kid,and I have had kids(not mine) walk right behind me as I am backing out.
I suspect these is not unique occurrences ,current trucks have sensors and cameras for good reasons.It is short sighted of EXP One to ship a product that has these deficiencies,IMO.

"These carriers can be locked into place when fully opened providing the flexibility needed for overlanding and off-roading, and the ease of access you want in your daily driver. Our additional mounting options provide further customization to create the perfect setup for your outdoor adventuring needs."
*Certain wheel/tire combinations may not fit the tire carrier such as the OEM spare wheel/tire.
*Sensor plugs are included with bumper, however we can't guarantee their 100% reliability

chet6.7

Explorer
I got this email today,July 16, "I just want to check in with you. It's going to be a while longer to make the bumper without the clevis mounts and that is what we are planning to do.
I do have a Ram dual swingout in sanding so it's almost ready to send to powder coat. You have waited a long time so I wanted to offer it to you first if not the next guy in line will get it."
Let me know,"

I asked how much longer it will be,I have not received a response yet.

I have had some time to think about it, I will wait to get one made without the clevis mounts as functioning backup sensors is more important to me than the clevis mounts.
I wonder how long it took them to decide to make another bumper VS welding the holes on the bumper that was already partially completed?
I ordered the bumper on May 5,talked with Roger on June 11 and called Roger again on June 27. Time is passing,I realize I need a bumper and I am anxious,but EXPED 1,seems lethargic.

Explorerinil

Observer
I got this email today after talking with Roger.
*** This Sales Order has been updated to remove the recovery shackle mounts. By doing so this will make this a custom bumper and cannot be returned. With any custom item, there is a $50 fee even though it will not cover the time to fill in the holes. ***
It would have been nice if at the time of my order it would have been explained that there are problems with the sensors and the D ring brackets.There is a warning now,but I don't recall reading it back in May,or recall it being mentioned when ordering. I am open to correction from members.
EXP One should give people the option when ordering if they can't get their current design to work properly,it can't be that hard to have the option,just don't cut the hole.
Back in the day the neighbor of a friend backed over and killed his own kid,and I have had kids(not mine) walk right behind me as I am backing out.
I suspect these is not unique occurrences ,current trucks have sensors and cameras for good reasons.It is short sighted of EXP One to ship a product that has these deficiencies,IMO.

"These carriers can be locked into place when fully opened providing the flexibility needed for overlanding and off-roading, and the ease of access you want in your daily driver. Our additional mounting options provide further customization to create the perfect setup for your outdoor adventuring needs."
*Certain wheel/tire combinations may not fit the tire carrier such as the OEM spare wheel/tire.
*Sensor plugs are included with bumper, however we can't guarantee their 100% reliability
I agree with you on your concerns about the backup sensors, I too have kids (neighbors) that run behind my vehicle, I ordered my truck with a back up cam and sensors for a purpose, to not hit someone and to make it easier to hook up a trailer. I feel you are right in wanting to keep that option and have it work.

chet6.7

Explorer
EXPED 1 replied today,my replies are in blue.
"I met with production they said if you really want it without the clevis mounts we can cut a new one and push it through. It would take 4 weeks to make this happen.
If this is what you want to do I will send you the paperwork for a custom bumper and a pay link for the $50.
Please let me know so we can get this going,
Thanks,"

I want it without the mounts, functioning sensors is more important.Please send me the paperwork,or just charge my card like you did in the original purchase.
Thanks

"Ok sounds good, please understand there is no guarantee that removing the clevis mounts will make the sensors work.
I will attach the paperwork for a custom order and we will do our best to get the bumper done as quickly as we can.
Thanks again,"
It looks like removing the clevis mounts does not guarantee functioning rear bumper sensors.:cautious:

txflyyaker

Observer
I removed my oem bumper to cut some holes for flush mount led lights and had bumper powercoated. I reinstalled sensors and and they have not functioned properly since. Dealer installed new plastic mounts and sensors and still have intermittent false signals....:unsure:

chet6.7

Explorer
I removed my oem bumper to cut some holes for flush mount led lights and had bumper powercoated. I reinstalled sensors and and they have not functioned properly since. Dealer installed new plastic mounts and sensors and still have intermittent false signals....:unsure:
I am sorry to learn that....I wonder what the problem is? Can the sensors be mounted in more than one position,or, are they like a spark plug with only one way to do it?

Explorerinil

Observer
I am sorry to learn that....I wonder what the problem is? Can the sensors be mounted in more than one position,or, are they like a spark plug with only one way to do it?
I pulled mine out when I sprayed the rear bumper with line x, I put them all in a bag and randomly re installed them, I even broke several plastic mounts, 2years laiter they still work perfect.

chet6.7

Explorer
I emailed the form they sent me to authorize the custom bumper 7/19,on 7/25 I received an email that said the "order was in progress." I emailed them asking for a timeline on 7/26,no reply so far.
It seems to take a week or so to get a reply to an email.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior