Expedition One 2010+ 4Runner washer bottle relocation kit

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
We (Forge Overland) have been working with Expedition one to develop a washer bottle relocation kit for the 5th gen 4Runners. The kit has been finalized and should soon be available direct from Expedition One (Expedition One - Off Road Truck Bumpers) for purchase. This is an excellent OEM grade kit that doesn't require modification or lengthening of the harness or supply lines, and increases the fluid capacity to 2 gallons. All the while neatly tucked away behind the passenger headlight. I've been using the kit trouble free for just under a month now with 0 complaints and all smiles.

Here is the kit in its basic form

After you get your parts sorted out, take the powder coated steel tray and line it up with the threaded holes. Install and tighten the supplies stainless steel bolts and washers. The reservoir will sit ontop of this plate and be secured to it with the J-Bolt

Next step is to transfer your pumps and gaskets to the new reservoir, and prepare to position them to be reconnected

When you go to place your reservoir in the location with the pumps, the metal bracket holding the sleeved wire loom will need to be repositioned (read: bent) in order to fully clearance the pumps harness and lines. A vice grip takes care of this in quick order

Now with the reservoir positioned we can work on attaching the top plate. The rubber gasket that runs the top of the fender will need to be removed to access the fender subframe

The gasket is attached by several keymod style eyelets, sliding the gasket rearward towards the windshield will free it

With the gasket removed, place and line up the top bracket on the small center hole. This will need to be punched and a pilot hole drilled to accept the included self-tapping bolt

Take your punch and mark the hole and drill your pilot.

After that, run your self tapping bolt through for a test run, then fit your top plate and tighten down your J-bolt. Check fitment and if all is Ok, begin the reinstallation of the trim and gasket. With a sharp knife mark and notch the trim piece to clear the top plate. Once reinstalled fill with your favorite fluid and check for leaks and operation.

For those with 2013+ models, there is a air-injection pump relocation kit available to go with this kit, this link is for an FJ kit, but it is nearly identical to the kit that will be available for the 4Runner

http://www.expeditiononestore.com/FJC-Washer-Fluid-Kit-2-gallon-Plastic-FJC-WFK-PL.htm

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
When a high clearance front bumper is installed on 4runners and FJ Cruisers, the washer bottle hangs low infront of the passenger tire. With much of the protection of the bumper removed for the sake of approach angles, the reservoir and pumps are very exposed to danger and the elements. A simple tree branch could destroy the pumps, or rip the lines and harness. By relocating it up into the engine bay, you're able to keep them safe, increase capacity by an additional 100% and keep the bottle warm during the winter of you live in artic conditions.

OK IVE BEEN BUILDING MY NEW 4RUNNER PLATFORM And this had to the metaltech fortress left lots to be desired as far as leaving the OEM washer resovoir wide out in the open. I just started this a couple a ago and just about done. Moved air pump and just wrapping up now.

Crikeymike

Adventurer
OK IVE BEEN BUILDING MY NEW 4RUNNER PLATFORM And this had to the metaltech fortress left lots to be desired as far as leaving the OEM washer resovoir wide out in the open. I just started this a couple a ago and just about done. Moved air pump and just wrapping up now.
Wow, there's no way you sold your 80 series, right??!!

Long term review of this washer bottle relocation kit. I've had it in my 4Runner since 2015 and never had an issue. Money well spent. The washer bottle was left exposed after installing a Shrockworks front bumper.

skrypj

Any chance this will fit a GX460? We also have a secondary air pump next to the power steering reservior

My 285/70's are very close to the washer bottle and any bigger they would be rubbing on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles