Expedition H3

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Hey all, i think i introduced my self a while back, but here is my build thread.
Yes, i have an H3 alpha, i plan on building it up for expedition travel.

I already have some mods in it.
The expedition mods so far include a gobi roof rack with spare tire on the roof.
Im running dual spares
Midland cb for comms with firestick.

Ill get some pics up when i get the chance.

Next big project is a rear storage system for all of my gear and other crap.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I spent a little bit of time in the ARB H3A a couple years ago.

With their drawer system, fridge, roof rack + a weeks worth of camping gear, I felt that the stock suspension was pretty much overloaded. It wallowed around quite a bit off road - but was pretty comfortable on the improved roads (graded dirt/gravel, pavement) - even with the load. Rumor was that they (ARB) were just about finished with the OME parts for the H3 - but didn't have the prototypes installed yet. Have you given any thought to suspension upgrades?

For a stock SUV, the H3A is pretty impressive.

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Im not going with the lift because well its too pricy for me and id rather spend that money on other gear.
As for upgrades, i have the alpha version so the torsion bars are already upgraded, i will be upgrading the shocks to bilstiens or possibly fox shocks. If the rear gets too saggy, ill either get an extended shackle or better leaf springs.
Im also going to get upgraded tie rods because those are a known weak point.

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Here are a few parking lot pics in its current state.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1328126892194.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1328126892194.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 93
  • uploadfromtaptalk1328126924393.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1328126924393.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 89
  • uploadfromtaptalk1328126945200.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1328126945200.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 74

blaz

Adventurer
Looks great. V8 and front and rear lockers. :drool:

Add a leaf if the rear sags from weight and longer shackles for lift.

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Looks great. V8 and front and rear lockers. :drool:

Add a leaf if the rear sags from weight and longer shackles for lift.

Unfortunately i dont have front or rear lockers because it is a non adv package. I will be upgrading to atleast a rear. It does the job for now, especially in low gear.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Hey good to see another H3 on here! I would definitely upgrade the shocks. I ended up with bilstein front a rear with res shocks on the front to support my ARB. The only thing I will warn you about with these trucks is watch the weight. Stock they only have about 1000 pounds of payload before they hit max weight so with mods and camping gear you will blow through that pretty quick. Oh and if you don't have it get some GM UCP first chance. It will save your undercarriage pretty often.

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Way ahead of you on the ucp ;) i may to res shocks but the only other weight ill be adding to the front is a winch, no aftermarket bumpers for me hehe.

Your T is good lookin, i recognize it from elsewhere ;)

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Haha ya when I first posted I hadnt looked at your name but realized it afterwards! Good to see you on EXPO

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Quick update of things to come.

Arb awning is here and i am awaiting for the gobi mounts to come in.
Rocky road sliders are somewhere in the mail and will be installed soon.
Pics will go up when they are installed

This summers project will be a rear drawer and storage system.

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Oh man it has been 2 years since i last updated this, well things have been moving along quite well on the H3, since then i have added:

BA winch bumper (not in production anymore)
Engo 10k synthetic winch
painted my fenders and wheels black with plastidip. The fenders only look good for about a year and then they will need to be touched up.

been doing some local wheeling in Indiana, pics to follow

Here is the bumper first installed
IMG_20130824_142254_244_zps5ac8e9a5.jpg

Winch, yes its still in the box in my garage, i haven't had time to install it yet, so i cannot get an accurate review of the winch.
IMG_20131225_130032_962_zpsz9qbnoza.jpg

Some pics from this last outing in June
20140614_160107_zpsbtdvhtee.jpg

yes I got stuck :)
20140614_143410_zpso8yrcqd5.jpg

tapatalk_1402841475909_zpsejegcvvs.jpeg

photo-1_zpszwmi3vb2.jpg

tapatalk_1402841486795_zps7qqentib.jpeg

This shot is too cool not to share!
photo_zps3tgwhrbf.jpg

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Before you say anything, yes the license plate says NY, I have officially made the move to Indianapolis since i graduated from college. My future plans for the H3 are to install a steering rack clamp to help with bump-steer and the weakness that is the OEM steering rack and to upgrade to some 315's. I will say the plasti-dip did save my paint from some nasty scratches last weekend, so in my book its a plus, not to mention it looks awesome! :thumbs:

HARDTRAILZ

Certified
Nice rig. Looks like pics from Badlands...

My buddy runs an Engo winch and has had good luck with it. Company seems to support the consumer if you have issues, even his self inflicted one.

I work in Indy downtown. Have to meet up sometime. There is a sub-group on here and FB from Indiana you might want to check out.

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Nice rig. Looks like pics from Badlands...

My buddy runs an Engo winch and has had good luck with it. Company seems to support the consumer if you have issues, even his self inflicted one.

I work in Indy downtown. Have to meet up sometime. There is a sub-group on here and FB from Indiana you might want to check out.

I will check those out, thanks. I work in the Carmel/ Zionsville area.

Yes those are pics from the badlands on fathers day weekend, basically empty park, which was strange for a Saturday.

HARDTRAILZ

Certified
There was a big group of Indy/Indiana jeeps that hit Redbird that day I think.

The empty days there are grat. I love in January when we do our snow runs and there is no one else there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles