Excelsior!
My tent at 0-Dark Hundred on Saturday

Kodak Moment!

Milling about with RMarz :D

Did we mention that it was rocky?

I swear it was this long!

teotwaki

Excelsior!
First view of the distant tracks below us. Apparently these trestles are nicknamed "The Seven Sisters"

Kevin cautiously descending a loose and steep slope

If you weren't picking your way through cactus there was always more rocks in the way!

The completion of this trestle was quite an accomplishment

Heading back up the canyon and greatly treasuring the chance to pick our way through both Rocks AND Cactus!

Last edited:

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
teotwaki said:

Now imagine hiking down from Mt. Laguna into the desert, camping overnight near Agua Caliente County Park (off S2), then hiking back up to the top again. I was younger then!

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Bridge

Just remember when you look at the bridge, it was built with equipment running on steam power,cranes,trains,but no automobiles. It is a feat and this will stand 100yrs or more.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
trestle under construction

survey crew (San Diego History.Org)
p178.jpg

Chief Engineer, E.J. Kallright (San Diego History.Org)
p180.jpg

Last edited:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Borrego60 said:
Just remember when you look at the bridge, it was built with equipment running on steam power,cranes,trains,but no automobiles. It is a feat and this will stand 100yrs or more.

No automobiles existed in 1932??

"Expensive by-pass roadways had to be constructed around the tunnel locations."

San Diego's "Impossible Railroad" by Richard V. Dodge
As printed in DISPATCHER #6, June 29, 1956
A publication of the Railway Historical Society of San Diego

rmarz

Adventurer
Great trip, a big thanks for putting it together! My camera did not make it to the charger in time, so no pics to post but lots of great memories and new names to remember. Hope to catch up with all of you again on another trip.

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
teotwaki said:
No automobiles existed in 1932??

"Expensive by-pass roadways had to be constructed around the tunnel locations."

San Diego's "Impossible Railroad" by Richard V. Dodge
As printed in DISPATCHER #6, June 29, 1956
A publication of the Railway Historical Society of San Diego
I know you are kidding.I was just talking about the steam powered equipment.

Whitey

Adventurer
What's the deal with the "no dogs allowed"?
Was this part of a national park? How much of a fine were we talking, should the ranger seen them?

rmarz

Adventurer
Whitey said:
What's the deal with the "no dogs allowed"?
Was this part of a national park? How much of a fine were we talking, should the ranger seen them?
Anza Borrego is a state park. Dogs are allowed but must be ‘under control’ at all times. Dogs must be on a leash (6’ max. length) and are not allowed on wilderness trails as the dogs themselves and their scent can spook the native wildlife. I am not sure how much the fine would have been.

M

modelbuilder

It doesn't sound like the railroad is shut down...so all of the warnings were correct.

Most likely when you all went the rail way was shut down temporarily because of all the damage you saw.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
modelbuilder said:
It doesn't sound like the railroad is shut down...so all of the warnings were correct.

Most likely when you all went the rail way was shut down temporarily because of all the damage you saw.

From the best sources available and If I Recall Correctly:

No rail traffic was running late in 2008 on that stretch due to a host of other issues, both legal and political. (Hint: The line crosses into Mexico) The railroad's plan all along was to attempt rail traffic in 2009. The damage that we saw was just another headache added to the railroad's woes.

Echo_29

Observer
Thanks for the report and photos!

While cleaning out the home office yesterday I rediscovered this in a stash of old postcards.
img105.jpg

So I'm curious which route you took?

The first time I went to Anza Borrego with a friend in 1991 we hiked to the trestles via the track starting on the east side of the Jacumba Mountains--it was a long day.

Several years ago I got the smart idea of trying to get to the trestles via the end of Carrizo Canyon. At least I wasn't the only one with this brilliant idea as we passed two defeated groups coming out as we were going in. The first couple miles were great then as the canyon narrowed the path became a wall of impenetrable vegetation. Below is as far as we got.
408960557_ceb0428653.jpg

Last edited:

surfponto

Observer
I am bummed I missed this trip. :-(
Someone linked to my BLOG way back in this post which is how I found this thread.

Glad you guys had a great time. I haven't been out there since that trip back in 2004 and now I am itching to do it again. :)

Bob
Leucadia

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles