Expedition: Goat Canyon Trestle - After Action Reports

Terawanderer

Adventurer
I was just able to squeeze this trip in .....with only saturday off,no GPS, no experience in this area, no planning,leaving LA at 4:30 am,getting lost one time enroute, accidently taking the long way(275 miles), starting the hike 10 minutes behind the group , not sure which canyon it was......as iffy as it sounds I pulled it off.......met the group and tagged the trestle(of course I didn't trespass on it) It was great meeting some old friends and meeting some new....Love the well built vehicles........I really hope the dogs are all OK.....I had a hard time watching the cactus incidents as I have 2 dogs of my own and love them as much as you guys love yours. Also shouldn't rangers be doing something more constructive....enough said. Thanks for the beer after the hike ....it made the drive home very relaxing...got home at 9:30....hit the hot tub and slept till noon today !!!!! Thanks everyone for a great day !!!

peekay

Adventurer
It was great meeting everyone. What a great trip. I may have to go back in a few weeks, I showed the pics to my dad and he insisted I take him back.

Thanks to Jamie and all the others for organizing this trip. Special thanks to Kevin who literally spilled blood trying to help Peanut. That is dedication!

PS-I finally got the last of the cactus out of his mouth. It took about a 1/2 hour. The end wedged in his tongue was really soft, almost decomposed. But he is fine, actually went on a hike today with my brother.

My pics to follow.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Great stuff! Looked like a killer hike.

I would like to hear more about how the dogs held up. Were there any issues with their pads? What was the cactus incident? I'll bet those pups were tired out after all that rock scrambling.

Thanks for sharing.
-m

bat

Explorer
Is that Dos Cabezas camp site and did you have a chance to look at the Palms campsite great pictures

kjp1969

Explorer
Cabrito said:
Great stuff! Looked like a killer hike.

I would like to hear more about how the dogs held up. Were there any issues with their pads? What was the cactus incident? I'll bet those pups were tired out after all that rock scrambling.

Thanks for sharing.
-m

Peanut (the brown big guy) stepped on a cactus ball- a bunch of thorns broke off in both paws. He got spooked and tried to pull it off his hind leg with his mouth, earning him a mouth full of thorns. We pulled all but a few out of his paws and mouth, but he wouldn't let us get to the last ones in his tongue.

Smart guy that I am, I figured that a rolled up T-shirt at the back of his jaws would keep his mouth open so we could tweeze the last ones out. It took a little nip to remind me not to stick my hands into an injured dog's mouth.:oops:

He was a real trooper though- he and the other dogs made it up and down some boulders that had us humans scratching our heads.

Of the other 3 dogs, one injured his paws and got DQ'ed by his master (I heard), and two made it to the trestle just fine.

Last edited:

TD64

Adventurer
Base Camp Story

Due to an injury, Kristi and I decided to stay behind and hang out at camp. We arrived at camp as the hiking crew was taking off.

bc1.jpg

We exchanged a quick greeting, agreed on using the 2M national calling frequency to keep in contact and then they were off to hike. Kristi and I set off to get our camp set up but we did not get far as a couple of late arrivals needed to get hooked up with the hikers.

bc2.jpg

While I got the late arrivals hooked up, Kristi found us a nice spot to camp. We got busy setting up camp and enjoying the beautiful day; We tossed around a baseball, explored the campsite, read, made lunch, Kristi napped and I played around with my amateur radio gear.

bc3.jpg

bc4.jpg

I deployed my 2M/440 Elk Antenna and established communication with 1leg (Jerry) through the Monument Peak repeater. (Jerry was hanging back in Escondido and had offered his assistance if needed.) I figured out how to use the dual watch function on my handheld transceiver and this allowed me to keep in touch with the hiking crew and Jerry throughout the day. (Note that I did lose contact with the hiking crew when they dropped down the backside of the mountain.)

Our nice day was interrupted by a Ranger and he got me up to speed on the park rules. (Read--Make sure that you know the rules before you go! Fires in a metal container, no dogs on trail, vehicles are to be parked one vehicles width from the trail/road and away from vegetation.)

The hiking crew made it back, checked to see if I had dipped into their beers, and set off to make dinner. After dinner, we gathered around the campfire and enjoyed one of the best parts of camping--making new friends.

Morning came much too fast and folks packed up and hit the road. Colen (Von Petrol), Kristi and I decided to do a little off roading and exploring before we hit the road. We set off and checked out the various trails and campsites in the area and then headed into Borrego for a late lunch.

bc5.jpg

bc6.jpg

bc7.jpg

We split off from Colen and headed for home through Julian. Julian was beautiful as more than a foot of snow was still on the ground. I was tempted to look for a hotel but we shot through town and made our way home.

It was great meeting everyone and we look forward to sharing a campfire with you in the future.

Last edited:

cowboy4x4

Explorer
Had a fun time thanks Jamie for suggesting this trip. Buster the pit bull was DQ'd after sliding off the edge of a short cliff and into a frozen portion of the stream. The landing was no problem but when he slid down he wore two of his claws down to the quick and that is why he was bleeding. He made it back on his own power he is recuperating from the loss of blood and being sore I would imagine. Dually the black and white McNab did great despite a run in with the cactus he is ready to do it again. Well to put it mildly I'm dissapointed with the park ranger, pulling out a dog whistle and trying to coax a dog out to see if we were hiding from them is pretty chicken ******** in my book and then citing me for being more than one vehicle length from the road sucked as well. Upon reading the ticket more closely he even put down that I ran over vegetation to get my vehicle parked where it was . Not only was the parking issue weak he was a lair as well. I will end this on a better note and thank the two guys (I'm bad with names on short notice) who pitched in to help pay for the ticket, that was very nice....Thank You.............Thomas

BorregoWrangler

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Wow!:bowdown: That brings back some memories. Back when I was a kid, my parents used to visit a friend down in Ocotillo who'd take us on the tracks in his old Bronco. It even had a train horn!

teotwaki

Excelsior!
My Four Days

I was in the area a bit early and had RMarz show me a few of the local sights before we drove into Anza Borrego

Local Gun Club :D

Start of the Pacific Crest Trail

Somebody's backyard fence...

Last edited:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
trying to find the Pacific Crest Trail under all of that snow!

It was 15 degrees ******** there but the views were great!!

Left to right series of photos of the view

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94