Expedition: Goat Canyon Trestle - After Action Reports

SAR_Squid79

Explorer
I am bummed I missed this trip. :-(
Someone linked to my BLOG way back in this post which is how I found this thread.

Glad you guys had a great time. I haven't been out there since that trip back in 2004 and now I am itching to do it again. :)

Bob
Leucadia

AWESOME!

Glad you found us, and I'm sorry that you missed the trip too. Your blog was a key source of info and motivation for putting this together trip. It really was a great trip. I think you make the trip in the Summer? The only bad part about our little expedition was that it happened to fall on the Winter Solstice - the shortest day of the year - so our time on the trestle was severely limited by remaining day light. We didn't want to get stuck up on the mountain trying to pick our way back through the rocks in the dark & cold.

surfponto

Observer
Thanks for the compliment.

I think I have convinced my wife to do that hike again either 2/14-2/15 or 2/22.
Now we have a Delorme PN-40 GPS so the trip should be a lot easier.:)

Thanks for posting that .gpx file. I was able to upload that to my GPS.

Bob

AWESOME!

Glad you found us, and I'm sorry that you missed the trip too. Your blog was a key source of info and motivation for putting this together trip. It really was a great trip. I think you make the trip in the Summer? The only bad part about our little expedition was that it happened to fall on the Winter Solstice - the shortest day of the year - so our time on the trestle was severely limited by remaining day light. We didn't want to get stuck up on the mountain trying to pick our way back through the rocks in the dark & cold.

surfponto

Observer
My wife and I tried this route also.
You get pretty close but then you hit that huge grove of catclaw in the canyon.
According to the GPS we were really close but we ended up turning around at that point also. :(

Here is our write up of that trip.

Bob

Thanks for the report and photos!

While cleaning out the home office yesterday I rediscovered this in a stash of old postcards.
img105.jpg

So I'm curious which route you took?

The first time I went to Anza Borrego with a friend in 1991 we hiked to the trestles via the track starting on the east side of the Jacumba Mountains--it was a long day.

Several years ago I got the smart idea of trying to get to the trestles via the end of Carrizo Canyon. At least I wasn't the only one with this brilliant idea as we passed two defeated groups coming out as we were going in. The first couple miles were great then as the canyon narrowed the path became a wall of impenetrable vegetation. Below is as far as we got.
408960557_ceb0428653.jpg

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Necromancing the thread since it was 11 years ago we went on the hike. Was just talking to RMarz about the trip. The Huell Howser video of his own video log
trip to the trestle is available on Youtube at

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles