Expedition first aid

The Wilderness EMT course is the standard EMT-B course with a wilderness module bundled in so yes it does cover legal & ethical issues extensively. I've been meaning to take it through NOLS for about a year now but the way I want to do it is a one month long intensive live on campus course and being a contractor I would lose that month of income plus have to front the fees for the course so it hasn't quite made the cut yet. As an alternative until I can get time enough for W-EMT I have been thinking of just doing the Wilderness First Responder course but that doesn't go into the level of care that I would like to learn about.

Night_Prowler

One of those emergency space blankets is a good thing to have. Takes up little space and can use it for treating shock. If its one of the shiny ones might help with signaling for help as well. Depending how far you are from treatment you venture a traumatic first aid class is a good thing to have.

mudbutt

Explorer
Regardless what you decide to put in your kit, make sure you check it often. Perhaps like the batteries in your smoke detectors at home, twice a year.

I recently went through the FAKs in 3 get home bags, 1 in my RV, and 1 in my Jeep. I was shocked at how far out of date the meds were.

And not just the meds, but remember these things usually see some abuse bouncing around in whatever cubby they have been stuffed into. It would be a shame to have to rely on something in a time of need only to find out it's all busted up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles