Expedition Camper by IrbisOffroad


Here are some updates. Sorry, there aren't any exciting pictures. It's just alot of routine work. Cutting, welding, pre-fitting. Here is the vision for the rear tailights and storage in rear bumper.

To finish the work on the basement and bottom of the camper, I took the camper off and flipped it upside down. I replaced the floor in the mudroom with new 3/4 inch birch plywood. I re-fiberglassed everything and bedlined it.

While the camper was off, I finished building the subframe for the rear winch. I boxed the frame rails and cut off the original cross member for the spare tire, which made just enough room for the second gas tank.

That's all for now.


Newb questions

That's a great idea.

I was wondering about the connection to the frame at the front of the camper, is it going to flex and cause the shell to hit the cab?

Is the camper going to have a pass through into the cab? I've been toying with that idea for my bronco.


Nice tube work. I need to have you guys do my tube work.
Can you do/bend 1 3/4" maybe 2" tubing?


Sorry for the delay, I have been really busy. I went on a road trip and you can see the details of that trip here: http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=10531

Here are some updates on the camper. I finished up the underbody boxes, and the side boxes will be built later.

I cut the cab back wall for the walk through. I reinforced it with 2 inch. DOM tubes.

I also finished the fiberglass work on the camper and attached it to the cab. I tried to make a smooth transition on the sides between the camper and the cab.

I started to fix all the dents and did all the body work. The side moldings were removed as well. Now I'm going to prepare it to get painted.

After the camper was attached, I also cut the roof to make the walk-through more comfortable.

Still more to come...


Some more updates:

I scored a really nice second gas tank from Isuzu Trooper complete with skid plate, and sending unit. It was a really easy installation; just a couple of brackets on the frame rails. I modified the brackets on the skid plate and eveything got painted and installed.

I will keep everyone posted as more updates become available.


Wow, I am very envious, your project is awesome. Do you guys have a budget on the truck and/or keeping a running total because it seems like a pretty budget friendly build. It's also a platform I've been curious about.


Rendezvous Conspiracy
You've got some incredible fab skills! :drool:

Please continue to provide as many pics and details as possible.
Keep up the good work!


Amazing build, and I'm green with envy.

I'm so glad you're in Denver; maybe I can see the finished product in person :victory:


Thanks Oleg!

It is a pleasure to follow this thread. Thank you for documenting your work and sharing it with us. I cannot wait to see the finished product.

Great job!