Expedition Camper by IrbisOffroad

robert

Expedition Leader
Anyone else getting the "Bandwidth exceeded" message? I'd really like to see this project.

IRBIS

Observer
Hello Everyone,

We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties with Photobucket and that is why the pictures are not available. I am working to get them up as soon as possible. If anyone has any suggestions for better image hosting sites please let me know. Sorry for the inconveniance.

Scott39

Adventurer
Cool project Oleg, and nice work, just like all the other projects you and your brother do.
I had the same idea about ten years ago, I wanted to put a Chinook on a Tacoma 4x4 extra cab, but I didnt have the time or space.
This will be definitely a one of a kind rig setup.
I hope you have it done for the Rising Sun Toyota event in August so you can show it off.:sombrero:
By the way, Have you did anything yet with the Gray FJ40 rolling chassis I sold you last year?

Last edited:

IRBIS

Observer
Thanks guys for all of the kind words. I appreciate all of the comments. I will try to keep the project up to your expectations.
Let me lay out some general plans for the camper. It should be a very comfortable, but very capable expedition camper for short trips as well as long traveling. The engine as I mentioned is a V8, 4.7, automatic transmission, with shift on the fly 4X4. The rear axle will be replaced for full floating axle with disk brakes and e locker, custom rear leaf spring with an airbag support and probably OLD MAN EMU shocks. I want to give it max lift on the suspension of about 2.5 to 3 inches. The tires will be 255-85-16.
I plan to have a winch in the front and rear. There will be on board air, dual battery under the hood and two or three deep cycle batteries in the camper. Snorkel, propane heater and stove, CB and Ham radio because I finally passed my test and got the license.
I mentioned the subframe I built under the camper earlier and I called the space between the frame and camper "basement" and I'm going to try to install all equipment and heavy accessories in the basement to try to keep COG down.
If anybody has some suggestions they are always welcome. Nothing radical on the paint, probably some clean white with a silverish lower portion and maybe back of the camper.
Front bumper: It looks like ARB Sahara but after serious lyposuction and replacement of cheesy chrome tube with 1 3/4 inch DOM tubes.
Here are a few more pictures.
DSC05673.JPG

DSC05674.JPG

DSC05844.JPG

DSC05845.JPG

DSC05846.JPG

Here is the picture of the basement:
DSC05841.

I'll keep you posted on the updates.

Ric

Adventurer
nice, I know you guys do QUAILITY work, so I have no doubts this will be a great build..

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Thank god I am not the only one who hates the cheesey chrome tube on the sahara bar! I Looked at finding a deluxe bull bar that I could mod the mounts on but came to the same conclusion you did... take off the cheese and add beefy bars ala deluxe. I called ARB and asked about a deluxe bar for the 1st gen Tundra and they had no good reason for why it doesn't exist. Love the idea of the chinook on a tundra! Should be a fantastic expo-combo!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online