Exped Storage Boxes

go4aryd

Adventurer
Post up your storage boxes, sizes and sources for this expeditionary essential. I am using 5 small tubs (yuk) and one food box (12gal tote similar to Akro-Mills). I am in desperate need of a storage make-over, so post up!!! :)

Would also be good to describe if the box is water resistent (i.e. not waterproof), sealed against dust, dry weight, etc.

geovalue

Adventurer
Having traveled over 80,000km overland in Africa we found our best storage solution was ammunition boxes. They are light weight, solid, clamp shut, stack well and are the perfect size. They are waterproof, we had several on the roof rack. They have a hole in the bottom at each corner but we never had much trouble with dust even crossing the Sahara and never had anything get wet. They were subjected to harsh conditions and took some brutal beatings but never cracked or warped, they survived the trip. We purchased them in South Africa but am sure you could find something similar in North America.
Janet
www.adventurouspirits.com

go4aryd

Adventurer
Having traveled over 80,000km overland in Africa we found our best storage solution was ammunition boxes. They are light weight, solid, clamp shut, stack well and are the perfect size. They are waterproof, we had several on the roof rack. They have a hole in the bottom at each corner but we never had much trouble with dust even crossing the Sahara and never had anything get wet. They were subjected to harsh conditions and took some brutal beatings but never cracked or warped, they survived the trip. We purchased them in South Africa but am sure you could find something similar in North America.
Janet
www.adventurouspirits.com

The European boxes must be aluminum? The US boxes are steel and are VERY, VERY heavy. A a result, they get used mostly in my area for rafter's smaller dry boxes.

I also have several pelican cases, which are tough, but don't pack all that well together.

kerry

Expedition Leader
I use plastic barrels and buckets of various sizes. You can get spin on lids for 5 gallon paint buckets. ( http://www.gamma2.net/new/GSL.html) Harcostar makes some nice blowmolded barrels in various sizes. Being made in Europe, they are a little pricey at US retailers, but cheap in Europe. Their barrels have handles.( http://www.harcostar.co.uk/) US Plastics sells a variety of barrels, mostly rotomolded I think. The sell a variety of sizes of rectangular barrels which pack together better than the Harcostar barrels. The 5, 8, and 15 gallon versions I find very useful. ( http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog_name=USPlastic&category_name=25&product_id=292) I've been using the same barrels for about 20 years on lots of canoeing, rafting and camping trips. They are still holding up fine.

Last edited:

geovalue

Adventurer
The European boxes must be aluminum? The US boxes are steel and are VERY, VERY heavy. A a result, they get used mostly in my area for rafter's smaller dry boxes.

I also have several pelican cases, which are tough, but don't pack all that well together.

The ammunition boxes we use are made of tough plastic, they are square and are made to fit on to the top of each without sliding. Sounds like there would be a market for such stacking boxes in North America. Tough and light and will not open if dropped

Uticon

Adventurer
They sell plastic ammo boxes at most large sporting good stores.
Ive seen dark green and bright orange ones.

gjackson

FRGS

They call them Wolf Packs:

tn_02.jpg

Image source is here: http://www.overland.co.za/Packing_Systems/Bertus_Bekker/

Slee sometimes has them, but not all the time. Not listed on his web site. I do concur that they make an excellent packing system. They are what I will be using in the Range Rover when I have it running.

cheers

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I've got 4 wolf packs for our clothes in the trailer. I like that they are sturdy enough to use as a seat for putting on shoes, etc.
I'd love to get more of them; I'm also going to look into the ammo can idea at a local gun barn.

go4aryd

Adventurer
Now you have me wondering - can I get a second set of lids for more flexibility??? I am guessing the ones in the pix are of the shallow variety.

jim65wagon

2854297943_bd66b5eb19.jpg

We use these aluminum ATV boxes from AgriSupply. We have three (32x12x12) that fit on our bed rack and a fourth custom made aluminum box (32x10x12) that fits in the last available space on the rack.

Rain resistant.
Severe thunder storms and no leaks. Dunk them under water though and they'll fill up fast.

Lightweight, aluminum but I don't know the actual weight.

Dustproof according to FR75 at Dolly Sods in summertime standards.

Robthebrit

Explorer
4 zarges aluminum cases, two on the roof rack which usually contain soft stuff and one behind each rear wheel which contain parts, misc tools and rarely used camping supplies.

They are awesome and have never leaked.

Rob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz