Exped Megamat Duo 10 torn after zero trips

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I have used a number of Exped Megamats and any issues were my fault and they still took great care of me.
I am super rough on the one in my van and it holds up great, that failure is a freak and I look forward to hearing how well they take care of you.

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
Exped has extremely good service. I've called them many times with questions or requests and have always been impressed. If you have a legitimate complaint they will listen. I've slept hundreds of nights on Exped mattresses and never had a failure. I'm in my fourth year of DAILY use of my current mattress (placed on top of my bed at home), so that's over 1,000 nights, in addition to several other Expeds I've owned. Also use them for camping, of course.

jhmoore

I will update this post in about a month.

So... what happened?

FWIW, I don't have the hundreds or thousand plus nights on mine that some here do, but I have had zero issues with my Exped--other than it being so damn big when packed in the 4Runner! :)

sabjku

Observer
Love my Exped mattress! So much so that I bought two of them, one that stays in the Jeep on my Goose Gear platform fulltime, and a spare one in the house for guests...."You're making us sleep on that!? Oh, this is actually comfortable!".

I would have asked Exped if you could purchase another new one, and then send the damaged one back and just be credited. I've went that route before when I wanted something more quickly. Most companies will obviously want the product back before they ship out a replacement, and I'm usually too impatient for that:)

86scotty

Cynic
I've been looking to get one of these mats (or the Megamat Max). Was this ever resolved?

Get on REI or Amazon and read all the positive reviews. I bought one and it is great. Not worried about one bad one out of thousands. From everything I've read about this company they'll take care of him if they didn't already.

Scoutman

Explorer
Get on REI or Amazon and read all the positive reviews. I bought one and it is great. Not worried about one bad one out of thousands. From everything I've read about this company they'll take care of him if they didn't already.
Oh yea, I realize that. I think out of all I've seen and read about this mat it's 99.5% positive so that speaks much louder than the .5%. I was just curious if he got it fixed or not.

bear100

I bought two for a recent overland trip for me and my son, we use them on Oztent stretchers. They are excellent and so comfortable! Really well made too

Superduty

Adventurer
My apologies to the board and @1leglance @jhmoore @Scoutman @86scotty @CSG @LandCruiserPhil and @towee for not reporting back. Got caught up with stuff and forgot about this thread.

Short version: Exped replaced the mattress.

Long version: Their initial assessment of the tear (pictured at beginning of this thread) was that it was fixable on their end so they fixed it. FWIW, I fixed it using the enclosed kit and they removed my fix to look at the failure. They said I did a great job fixing it, and then they proceeded to fix it again. After they fixed it they filled it with air and tested it in a water tub. When they tested it in the water tub they said they found a leak in a seam. Because they found a leak in a seam it is considered an unrepairable failure and at that point they replaced the mattress with a new one. It was an approximate 3 week turn around. As mentioned earlier Exped wanted me to pay shipping to them, but they ended paying shipping both ways (I was appreciative of that).

I was pleased they sent out a new mattress, I was not so pleased with their initial plan to fix the failure and not replace the mattress considering it was brand new. I was a little surprised considering how good their reputation is that this mattress had this major failure and then on top of that had a second failure - leak in a seam. I am chalking it up to getting a fluke bad mattress.

Overall, very happy with Exped.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier