EXD 350 - EarthCruiser on flat bed

lanceatm

Founder and CEO of EarthCruiser
We are thinking real hard of adding to the EarthCruiser line up flat bed model -
Flat bed removable or Fixed with pass through.

Attachments

• 1Project EXD-350.png
    1Project EXD-350.png
    548.5 KB · Views: 382
  • 2Project EXD-350.png
    2Project EXD-350.png
    986.9 KB · Views: 386
  • 3Project EXD-350.png
    3Project EXD-350.png
    919.3 KB · Views: 374
  • 4Project EXD-350.png
    4Project EXD-350.png
    602.5 KB · Views: 349

adam88

Explorer
There is absolutely a huge market for this. But the price needs to be competitive for it to work. If it hits anywhere near 6 figures then it would be out of reach for most.

If this was built, I'd like to see a fixed queen size bed with a real mattress and tons of storage underneath and room for tanks/etc. Rather than a dinette that folds into a bed. But that probably will never happen :(

lanceatm

Founder and CEO of EarthCruiser
There is absolutely a huge market for this. But the price needs to be competitive for it to work. If it hits anywhere near 6 figures then it would be out of reach for most.

If this was built, I'd like to see a fixed queen size bed with a real mattress and tons of storage underneath and room for tanks/etc. Rather than a dinette that folds into a bed. But that probably will never happen :(

Thank you for this Adam 88 -
We have been playing with a number of lay outs. We go for function over form every time, it just has to work when it needs to work, what ever it is.
Our thinking is lets make sure we don`t end up with something that is a dogs breakfast that does not really work well, works ok but not well at anything.
So very comfortable bed that spends most of its time as a very comfortable bed and a place to eat only sometimes. The truck would have a killer out door kitchen that can be used in all but the most terrible weather. And lots of storage, that is useful.

Last edited:

Zybane

Fixed queen bed? That would literally be over half the floor space in this thing. EC makes quality (pricey) stuff, highly doubt this would be under six figures.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Having only a thin, firm mattress is the reason why I got rid of my cab-over pop-up camper. I never slept in the upper bed. I'm wondering if you could have a bed that drops down from the ceiling? It would probably make the roof section difficult to lift unless you had some type of assist. Not getting a good nights rest will ruin any trip.

adam88

Explorer
Fixed queen bed? That would literally be over half the floor space in this thing. EC makes quality (pricey) stuff, highly doubt this would be under six figures.

The idea is that the queen bed replaces a dinette. There's no seating inside. You sit on the queen bed when you eat. I know this is a revolutionary idea to some, not having a "dinette" inside a camper, but... there also isn't a china hutch inside a camper either but we just make do without bringing our fine china. Like EC said, they are going to put an outside kitchen in this, so you can sit outside and eat outside, or sit on the bed inside. I don't see the reason for needing THREE seating options. Dinette = waste of space in a camper this small.

F350joe

Removable and lockable so it can stay at the campsite. Pockets for the awning so it doesn’t get ripped up from branches. A place to securely place a couple bikes and outside dirty storage for trash, firewood, fire pit, etc. A removable roof rack that is moved around with a small swing out crane. A back door that folds down to either a porch or ramp so it could be a small toy hauler as well. That’s my wish list, this is my poor mans version. And a ad on to turn the backseat of the crew cab into a kids bunk.

Attachments

• 49C9C230-605E-48BD-B0B2-A2C3FED26AF8.jpeg
    49C9C230-605E-48BD-B0B2-A2C3FED26AF8.jpeg
    37.1 KB · Views: 419

Clutch

<---Pass
The idea is that the queen bed replaces a dinette. There's no seating inside. You sit on the queen bed when you eat. I know this is a revolutionary idea to some, not having a "dinette" inside a camper, but... there also isn't a china hutch inside a camper either but we just make do without bringing our fine china. Like EC said, they are going to put an outside kitchen in this, so you can sit outside and eat outside, or sit on the bed inside. I don't see the reason for needing THREE seating options. Dinette = waste of space in a camper this small.

With a dinette that converts into a bed is a better use of space...get two things in the same space as one. I dunno, see just a queen mattress in this size of camper a huge waste of space.

Assuming the layout would be like a non-cab over Alaskan. Just see that setup taking up too much room. Would like to have a kitchen on the inside with the option to cook outside, which is an easy thing to do, just have a removable stove like a Partner...or a second camp stove.

http://alaskancampers.com/8-non-cabover/

While the mattress idea isn't a horrible just need a bigger truck. LIKE THIS, Which EC already builds those.

I like what Maltec is doing. Guess the EC would be similar.

http://www.maltec.org/index.html

img_1493.jpg

img_1505.jpg

adam88

Explorer
With a dinette that converts into a bed is a better use of space...get two things in the same space as one. I dunno, see just a queen mattress in this size of camper a huge waste of space.

I can see why this is appealing to many people, but let me try and convince you why having a dinette that converts to a bed is not the best idea:

1) Storage. A dinette that converts to a bed has at most 50% of the storage capacity underneath it than a fixed queen bed would. This means less space for batteries, water tanks, inverters, etc. So by having a dinette instead of a fixed bed, you are giving up bigger tanks and more battery capacity.

2) Comfort. A dinette bed will never be as comfortable as a 10" thick pillowtop mattress. As you get older you appreciate having a true mattress like this.

3) Convenience. Every night you need to make the bed, then unmake it in the morning. Let me ask you a question that some people may not think of: Where do you plan to store all the bedding during the day?. Think about it... 4 pillows... sheets... a comforter... that's bare minimum. Those things take up LOTS of space. So if you plan to store them under the dinette, then you lose another 25% of your space. Now you are down to only 25% left.

What do you gain for giving up everything above? A place to sit and eat during the day. But couldn't you just as easily sit on the bed? Or sit on the edge of the bed? Or sit in the front of truck? Or better yet, sit outside in a camping chair (which you could store under the bed with all your extra storage space).

I know not everyone agrees. But to me, I'd rather have a fixed bed any day of the week, along with larger storage tanks, more batteries, a proper mattress, etc.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I've got a whole innerspring bed ready to sleep in with generous storage underneath.
It is one of the reasons we bought it 18yrs ago. It's critical for us.

Clutch

<---Pass
I can see why this is appealing to many people, but let me try and convince you why having a dinette that converts to a bed is not the best idea:

1) Storage. A dinette that converts to a bed has at most 50% of the storage capacity underneath it than a fixed queen bed would. This means less space for batteries, water tanks, inverters, etc. So by having a dinette instead of a fixed bed, you are giving up bigger tanks and more battery capacity.

2) Comfort. A dinette bed will never be as comfortable as a 10" thick pillowtop mattress. As you get older you appreciate having a true mattress like this.

3) Convenience. Every night you need to make the bed, then unmake it in the morning. Let me ask you a question that some people may not think of: Where do you plan to store all the bedding during the day?. Think about it... 4 pillows... sheets... a comforter... that's bare minimum. Those things take up LOTS of space. So if you plan to store them under the dinette, then you lose another 25% of your space. Now you are down to only 25% left.

What do you gain for giving up everything above? A place to sit and eat during the day. But couldn't you just as easily sit on the bed? Or sit on the edge of the bed? Or sit in the front of truck? Or better yet, sit outside in a camping chair (which you could store under the bed with all your extra storage space).

I know not everyone agrees. But to me, I'd rather have a fixed bed any day of the week, along with larger storage tanks, more batteries, a proper mattress, etc.

If it was on a bigger chassis I could see it, a F450 with a 14' flatbed. But in this class, guessing it is going to be 8'-10'(???)...not so sure. And this class...honestly rather a cab over, like the XP if it came down to it. Assuming price point will be about the same. Never have to make/unmake, and the bed area can get used to hold extra gear during day use. One person can be sitting at the dinette and the other taking a nap in the cab-over.

4 pillows, sheets, a comforter... a bare minimum!!?? I got a little chuckle out of that...clearly your comfort needs are waaay different than mine.

Camp chair storage...I'll just do what I do now, stick them in the extra cab portion of the truck. Though for the next truck I may get a Crew Cab just for that, extra storage. It is just the two of us, I would take out the back seat and use it for storage.

I dunno, I view campers as..."ok what one will be the best to hang out in when the weather is the worst?" I like to travel during the shoulder months...when all the kiddies and summer touristas are back at school and work. The weather tends to be a bit unpredictable. If you're cooking at the stove, where is the table going to be to eat at if you have to get to the bed to sit on? Is it going to be in the isle. Pullout from under the counter? Nice to be cooking, plate your meals, then over to the dinette. Guess the question is it going to be hard to get by, do I have to move it to sit on the edge of the mattress?

But as they say what works for one, won't for another.

I like the idea, unsure if that is the platform for it, as it takes up a lot of space.

Your idea does exist, you just need a larger platform.

http://globalxvehicles.com/global-expedition-vehicle-turtle-offroad-rv/

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles