EXD 350 - EarthCruiser on flat bed

Steve_382

Looks like a good option. We are currently using Let's Go Aero box. It holds 2 road bikes with the front wheels removed. It also slides out about 18" to allow access to the rear doors. In order to use it with mountain bikes, you would also need to remove the handle bars. It's pretty stable off road also. It's pretty heavy though to get into the higher hitch racks on the EarthCruiser bumpers. I am thinking about using something like this Slide Out with the Thule ThruRide fork mounts. I would then get a custom canvas cover made for dust and rain protection.

-331785048.jpg

H00901TwinTube-04WR__80793.1532973050.500.659.jpg

560721_sized_900x600_rev_2.jpg

Steve_382

Looks like a good option. We are currently using Let's Go Aero box. It holds 2 road bikes with the front wheels removed. It also slides out about 18" to allow access to the rear doors. In order to use it with mountain bikes, you would also need to remove the handle bars. It's pretty stable off road also. It's pretty heavy though to get into the higher hitch racks on the EarthCruiser bumpers. I am thinking about using something like this Slide Out with the Thule ThruRide fork mounts. I would then get a custom canvas cover made for dust and rain protection.

View attachment 486703

H00901TwinTube-04WR__80793.1532973050.500.659.jpg

560721_sized_900x600_rev_2.jpg
This rig would be light enough to easily remove after taking the bikes off and also would have the 18" slide out to possibly access the spare tire.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I just looked at the weight differences for some of the chassis cab versions. You could save 1,000 pounds with the 6.2L gas version versus the 6.7L diesel and another 300 pounds by getting the regular cab (not to mention a tighter turning radius). If Lance can drop 500 pounds and you don't need the 300 pound bull bar and winch, that might save 2,000 pounds overall. Maybe the 6.2L gas would work.

Regular cab 6.2L = 5,478 pounds
Super cab 6.2L = 5,774 pounds
Super cab 6.7L = 6,810 pounds

https://www.ford.com/commercial-trucks/chassis-cab/models/f350-xlt/
My work F350 is overloaded at 11 000# currently. The 6.2l is fine. Selecting proper axle ratios for your tire size becomes more important, that's all.

Reading 8' utility box with topper and top shelfs, filled with tools and cargo.

martinf

Not a fan of american cars/trucks and yet I own a F150. Only reason I went with this instead of a chevy or dodge is the flat floor in the back and fold up seats that give extra cargo area. If the 1 ton trucks are the same, I would not consider anything else than the ford for the same reasons.

kmacafee

Adventurer
On many flatbeds, hitch mounted racks are challenging given the distance the rack has to extend to clear the rear wall of the camper. I built a rear rack to hold Maxtrax and fuel containers and saw an opportunity to integrate a bike rack into it. I had an older Yakima hitch rack and I unbolted the top section containing the arms and bolted that to a rack upright.

The bikes are completely shielded from wind behind the camper and we further protected them in a bag. We have crossed through every kind of weather imaginable - snow, rain, sleet and extremely high winds and the bikes arrived clean and the bag intact. They sit above the tail lights and the rear window can be opened.5DF4CD4E-FB1F-4048-8F54-DBBBCA863030.jpeg

Dochopper

Gotta have an indoor cooking option for really cold temps.
And who says the bed MUST be a queen? Just a bed long enough for tall folks and wide enough for hips and shoulders.

DzlToy

Explorer
It has to be a queen because 74% of Americans are overweight or obese.

Two adults simply do not fit comfortably in a twin or double bed, with few exceptions.

I prefer the Dodge rendering if Lance is taking a poll.

There is no reason that bikes can't get dirty. My mountain bike has also been through every weather condition imaginable. Hose it off once in a while and spray some silicone on the chain and you will be fine. No need to keep them looking show room fresh unless you just want to.

lanceatm

Founder and CEO of EarthCruiser
Since the EXD is only available with Lithium batts we decided on standard induction cook top. Handy inside and out with no fire restrictions for the barbie.

F350joe

That came out pretty cool, not Cee-Camp cool, but still pretty cool.

You guys could pull off sometching like this, then give me one for the encouragement. 2B02BB73-E30F-4EDC-BAEE-9C2954855085.jpegEA118B41-2ABB-409F-A94D-CA3D66F0B440.jpeg

Grenadiers

Adventurer
We have a Roadmaster 10” hitch drop we flip upside down, with a 1up-USA bike rack. Expensive rack but worth it. Lifts the bikes up out of the way quite nicely.

Attachments

• 4A75F8B8-FA3C-4696-84A1-CAEA0A84CDD6.jpeg
    4A75F8B8-FA3C-4696-84A1-CAEA0A84CDD6.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 109
  • BF18C304-E3D0-4524-8533-F88484C8DC3C.jpeg
    BF18C304-E3D0-4524-8533-F88484C8DC3C.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 108

gregmchugh

Observer
We also use the heavy duty version of the 1UP USA rack for two electric bikes on the back of our GXV truck, as you said, expensive but very good rack. For a bike cover we just got one of these, haven’t used it yet so no report on it. Seems to be well made here in the US...

http://usaroadbag.com/

lanceatm

Founder and CEO of EarthCruiser
First EXD on the F350 has done the time and the miles, we are vey happy with its performance on and off the road
This next build we have here will be a Dodge most likely 3500 single cab SLT, with pass through.
We are thinking scheel-mann seats ( Standard in EarthCruiser EXP) might be nice.
Who knows, might even go all out and put some fancy graphics on it, maybe a colour other than white!

EarthCruiser EXD underway.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles