EX-NATO type 461 MB G-Wagen 250?

Sid Post

Observer
I'm considering my "bucket list" travel options. I love hiking, camping, etc. in remote areas and generally spend my free time on my motorcycles (modified Kawasaki KLX-250S and KTM 450EXC) when I am 'at home' exploring anything and everything accessible on a motorcycle. At this stage of my life, semi-retirement, I'm debating whether I want to see the world on a ~$20K motorcycle or, something a little kinder to an aging body. ;)

I prefer diesel vehicles. I also want something without a bazillion government-mandated 'nannies' and dubious emissions-related concerns. I'm not really an Earth hating "anti-Greta Thunberg" person as I hate Earth destroying pollution and have some concern for global warming and rising ocean levels as well*. However, I also have plenty of experience with pre-"requires ultra-low sulfur" diesel engines that got 5 times the miles per gallon versus a similar gas engine. Today, that gap has closed considerably and gasoline engines have come a long way, though that generally involves high-pressure direct injection and variable cylinder and start-stop technologies.

This gets me to the type 461 MB G-Wagen 250. Why? I don't trust old Land Rover diesel or gas options and I don't want a straight gasoline Japanese import even though Land Cruisers are legends. Old Jeeps that aren't 'molested' beyond recognition are very hard to find so, I doubt I would find one of those for reasonable money and it would be a gasoline engine.

What is a realistic acquisition cost for one of these EX-NATO MB G250 diesel's? What would I be getting myself into regarding maintenance and overall ownership costs besides normal consumables like tires and brake pads? Is insurance going to be reasonable (compliance and financial protection, not full coverage)? Are parts and special tools going to be an issue? I get this isn't a Tacoma or Jeep so parts are apt to be less available at the local parts store but, how likely will I need something urgently to get me back on the road? If I need a brake drum or starter, am I looking at a huge repair bill assuming a local shop can't repair it? What's the likelihood of finding a suitable commercial GD250 "Wolf" somewhere in the EU for reasonable money in good condition?

Then there are the practical considerations! The stock engine has a very good reputation for reliability and longevity. What it doesn't have is the guts to run Interstate speeds out West. What does a 'turbo' upgrade cost and what does it mean to reliability? It doesn't have the center diff lock but, front and rear diff locks should get me very deep into the backcountry before that is even a consideration. At 700Kg 'payload', I wonder if that is enough as a light expedition vehicle, especially if I do a roof rack or roof tent. What other things should I consider or be aware of? Would a gentle 'lift' and suspension upgrade give me more payload, thinking the stock vehicle doesn't need it for reasonable tire upgrades assuming I have the power to pull larger heavier tires? ;)

Thanks in Advance!
Sid

* <rant> I disagree with forcing harsh bad economic choices on people to make minor improvements to the environment while gross polluters do nothing. Attacking minor problems at great expense while MAJOR problems could be addressed for much less just doesn't make sense to me. </rant>

Last edited:

Sid Post

Observer
Abbreviated:
  • Cost of acquisition?
  • Cost of ownership?
  • Maintenance concerns?
  • "Get home" concerns in remote areas?
  • Upgrade needs for ex-military vehicles?
  • Commercial vehicle options (i.e. EU used options)?
  • Aftermarket support for reasonable cost Expedition upgrades?
  • What am I overlooking?
TIA,
Sid

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
Here's a place to start. Since they're basically commercial vehicles parts shouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately one of the big costs will be getting it over here. If you're still in TX you can register it as a Former Military Vehicle and save on registration and no inspection required but then there are limitations on it's use.

Sid Post

Observer
Here's a place to start. Since they're basically commercial vehicles parts shouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately one of the big costs will be getting it over here. If you're still in TX you can register it as a Former Military Vehicle and save on registration and no inspection required but then there are limitations on it's use.

Thanks! I looked at that site but, all the prices were P.O.A.

The Former Military Vehicle exemption isn't an option for me since I want to use it, not 'parade it'. ;)

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
Thanks! I looked at that site but, all the prices were P.O.A.

The Former Military Vehicle exemption isn't an option for me since I want to use it, not 'parade it'. ;)

I listed a few of the prices (I emailed them to see what they had).

In a unique FMV, any where you go is a parade with everyone wanting to know about it. If I just want to take one for a drive I have the excuse of "working on it." All the mechanical parts need tested on a regular basis so it has to be driven to do so and you don't have to wait for a parade to do it. Now this vehicle wouldn't be that big of a deal registration wise since it's considered a passenger vehicle. My M1078 LMTV would be billed based on weight and that'd get expensive if I got regular plates for it.

Sid Post

Observer
The M1078 LMTV is an interesting option for sure! Something that big and heavy I'd certainly consider registering as an FMW here in Texas as I don't see myself ever 'vacationing' with it. To be honest, I'd also seriously consider 'farm tags' and use it to pull my tractor around and get farm supplies!

As an 'expedition / vacation / recreational vehicle', tagging it as a motorhome would save you a bunch of money in fees and let you travel with it. I met a retired 'over the road trucker' that did that with his semi. Insuring one of those even without commercial tags is hugely expensive. With a camper toilet and a portable stove and sink, it transitioned from a Volvo truck to a Volvo motorhome and insurance became 'dirt' cheap in relative terms along with cheap registration and tags.

In my case, the MB Wolf seems to be more in line with what I'm after, though a more modern Europa G-Wagen with the 6-cylinder turbo engine would be awesome, though a bit out of my price range right now. The MB U1300 Unimog series has been the other one I have looked at seriously. They are still relatively 'compact' and 'light', within reason, so maneuverability in crowded areas wouldn't be too bad and there isn't any arguing use off-road in North America with their suspensions and portal axles. Whether I need that much load capacity is a different topic entirely.

A U1300 with High-Speed axles and ambulance body looks to be about $30,000~35,000 landed with the canvas topped WOLF being about half that cost at roughly $17,000~20,000.

On a totally different tangent, I have seen some former 2 1/2 ton US Army 6x6's with the back axle removed and a shortened frame that looked interesting. However, I think all things considered (cost and support mainly), the U1300 appears to be a much better option for someone like myself that doesn't have easy local access to US Military support (people and parts). With other options, like yours, it is way too easy to end up with TOO MUCH vehicle. At times, I think a 2007 or earlier Dodge Cummins 4x4 pickup, or even a Pinzgauer, might be the most logical option. :eek:

However, if logic and a low entry price were the primary factors, I probably wouldn't be here would I? ?

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
For me the military vehicles are just toys. I don't take them far enough away from home to worry about 45-55mph speed restrictions. That was one of the reasons I was looking at the NATO G-Wagens as a good compromise in that If I kept the military paint scheme but registered it as a normal vehicle I could still do shows and parades but use it for camping as well. My problem is a pragmatic wife.

Sid Post

Observer
£13,000-£16,000 as is for a GD250 canvas top with an approximate cost to ship to the East coast £2,000 - £2,500 is what I got back from my quote request in a group of 20 vehicles with 15K to 80K km shown on the clock.

Arie Intveld

To Sid and other US-located ExPo members thinking about ex-military G-wagens

My apologies in advance for being so long-winded with this reply ….

I have a 1991 ex-Bundeswehr 250GD Wolf which I imported from Poland into Canada in 2016. I’ll happily attempt to answer questions based on my own G-wagen ownership experiences (I also have a 2011 G550).

Acquisition cost
A good example of an ex-Bundeswehr 250GD Wolf (diesel) or an ex-Swiss Army Puch 230GE (gasoline) located in the EU or UK will easily set you back US$20K before it is sitting in your driveway. Factor in what you may need to do just to get it licensed and insured (eg. DRLs in some jurisdictions). If it's a diesel-powered surplus military G-wagen, it is almost guaranteed that you will have fuel delivery problems from all the microbial growth in the fuel tank. You will then spend another $5-7K getting the vehicle sorted out (changing out every fluid, replacing glow plugs, rebuilding injectors, cleaning fuel delivery system, replacing broken or worn components, new tires, body repairs, etc.). Then you'll have a sound, reliable military-issue G-wagen with a 24V electrical system and no creature comforts save for a heater. You will also have a new hobby. Yay!

Cost of ownership
Fortunately, Mercedes-Benz still stocks many parts and component rebuild kits for older G-wagens. There are also G-wagen specific indy part suppliers in both the EU and North America. Generally, M-B parts are expensive and some are outrageous ($3+K for a steering box). Some parts for older G-wagens are shared with same vintage M-B sedans. Once an old diesel G-wagen is properly sorted out, they don't leak (unlike a Landy), they are as reliable as a hammer (provided they receive loving, regular maintenance) and don’t cost much to own other than your time. Some more major maintenance tasks (e.g. wheel bearings or front axle rebuild) will require specialty tools or a trip to an indy M-B repair shop that knows their way around G-wagens. And thanks to the current ULSD motor fuels, you will be adding lubricity additives to every tankful of diesel.

Maintenance concerns
Every G-wagen, from 1979 to the present, has a number of weak points such as front wheel bearings (if running non-OEM offset wheels or wheel spacers), steering knuckle swipe seals, kardan shaft, broken coil springs, cooling system and wiper arm spindle seals. G-wagens are prone to rust in specific areas (under the windshield seal, rocker panels, bottoms of doors, rear corner body panel seams, around tail lights, spring perches and shock mounts).

"Get home" concerns in remote areas
G-wagens predating MY 2001 had no CANBUS system so, theoretically, those are the most reliable ones. My 2011 G550 has CANBUS/control modules/relays out the wazoo and most problems it has had were electrical in nature yet it has never left me stranded. But my 250GD Wolf did leave me stranded when its 28-year-old right motor mount collapsed and the nylon radiator cooling fan touched the fan shroud, disintegrated and flung fan blade shrapnel through the radiator core. Pristine-looking old parts fail without advance warning. For the 250GD Wolf, as is the case for remote travel with any vehicle, an onboard spare parts inventory plus a carefully chosen toolset is mandatory. The trick is figuring out which pieces are most likely to let you down.

Upgrade needs for ex-military vehicles
The 250GD Wolf, from an expedition travel terrain capability standpoint, lacks nothing. Even its corporate sibling, the Puch 230GE with only a rear locking diff, is pretty damned capable. The single most important upgrade for the 250GD Wolf is a copy of the Mercedes-Benz G-class electronic parts catalog (EPC). Owning a 250GD Wolf without the EPC is hopeless. The second most important upgrade is ….. TIRES. In the case of the 250GD Wolf, the military-issue tire was the Continental LM90 (225/75R16C); they are like hockey pucks and deadly on pavement. Definitely get a 24V portable air compressor (mine is a Viair). Any other upgrades would depend on your needs and wants. The 250GD Wolf has fairly uncomfortable vinyl-covered solid foam seats but upgrading to Scheel-mann seats with custom seat bases will be north of $3K. Some folks like to have tunes in their ex-military trucks and go to all sorts of trouble and expense with 24V stereo head units or 24V-12V converters. Me, I just use my smart phone and an ammo can that’s been converted into a Bluetooth speaker system by some talented US army veterans. Aircon? Yeah … no. Roll down the windows, roll up the soft top side/rear panels and keep forward momentum going.

Commercial vehicle options (i.e. EU used options)
Not sure what you’re asking here. Any older G-wagen which can be legally licensed for road use in the US under the 25-year-old restriction will definitely be sourced or has been previously sourced outside of North America. G-wagens have been used at airports, by fire/police/EMS departments and by forestry agencies in the EU so those could be considered as some commercial sources as an alternate to a military source.

Aftermarket support for reasonable cost Expedition upgrades
Aftermarket hard parts availability for expo upgrading is pretty good for the G-wagen, even the older ones. Companies like ORC, G-Raid, LeTech and Tibus in Germany, plus Viking Offroad and G-wagenaccessories.com in North America offer pretty much everything from fender antenna mounts all the way up to lift kits and portal axle kits. Just don’t ask how much. Please don’t put a lift kit on Wolf … it’s just plain wrong.

Engine power
For more engine power, it’s ill-advised to add a turbo to the naturally-aspirated OM602 diesel motor found in the 250GD Wolf. You’ll cook it. As compared to their normally-aspirated diesel “twins”, Mercedes-Benz factory turbo-charged diesels have modified blocks with additional oil cooling on piston skirts. Some also have modified heads. Attempts at after-the-fact turbo installations always have issues with air intake and intercooling. If you want a turbo diesel G-wagen, start with a turbo diesel G-wagen. Those can be tweaked for even more power with larger injection pump elements and larger intercoolers.

Freeway speeds
Yup. The 250GD Wolf can just barely maintain 60mph … on the flat. This is essentially a tractor motor coupled to a driveline with low gearing. Fitting 2.4” taller tires (235/85R16) on the 250GD Wolf will help a bit with upping the effective final ratio and top speed but it will be slower off the line and will lose a bit of bottom-end torque. My Wolf, on 215/85R16 (1.1” taller than stock) tires, is churning around 4100rpm at 60mph and, yeah … it’s howling pretty loud.

Payload
Mercedes-Benz offers an entire line of progressive coil spring sets for any year of G-wagen (made by Sachs). Some are specifically for ride quality/handling (think AMG) while others address payload. The spring set for the armored G-wagen is the stiffest and has the highest payload but it makes any normal weight G-wagen ride like a buckboard. The 250GD Wolf is a small, heavy vehicle. Take less stuff along and be happy with its 1135lb payload capacity.

Hope this helps to sort out some questions and concerns about the 250GD Wolf. If you genuinely want a G-wagen expedition vehicle, here are 2 recommendations if you’re located in the US:

The higher cost recommendation is to look for a US-located 1999/2000 G500 LWB that was imported and federalized by Europa International. Be prepared to pay $45-50K. That vintage of G-wagen predates CANBUS, has comfort amenities, has a very reliable M113 naturally-aspirated V8 gasoline engine mated to a reliable 5-speed auto transmission, has 3 locking diffs, has plenty of power and torque, can lead the pack on freeways and can tow. No lift kit, upgrade tires to 32” or 33”, throw on a full roof rack with ladder, add some rocker protection and skid plates. Leave everything else bone stock.

The lower cost recommendation is to look for a US-located ex-Swiss military or ex-Austrian military Puch 230GE. Both Expedition Imports and Swiss Army Vehicles often have these in inventory priced in the $16-23K range and there’s no faffing around by you with importing. The 230GE’s have the dependable M102 4-cylinder gasoline motor and were typically equipped with a 4-speed auto transmission. The 230GE is peppier than 250GD Wolf and can more easily reach and maintain freeway speeds. The 230GE only has a rear locking diff but you’ll be that much closer to civilization when you eventually get stuck than if you had the Wolf’s additional front locking diff.

If you go either way, you’ll be spending most of your spare time on the clubgwagen.com forum.

Cheers,

Arie

Sid Post

Observer
To Sid and other US-located ExPo members thinking about ex-military G-wagens

My apologies in advance for being so long-winded with this reply ….

I have a 1991 ex-Bundeswehr 250GD Wolf which I imported from Poland into Canada in 2016. I’ll happily attempt to answer questions based on my own G-wagen ownership experiences (I also have a 2011 G550).

Thanks Arie! Actual ownership and importation experience is appreciated!

Acquisition cost
A good example of an ex-Bundeswehr 250GD Wolf (diesel) or an ex-Swiss Army Puch 230GE (gasoline) located in the EU or UK will easily set you back US$20K before it is sitting in your driveway. Factor in what you may need to do just to get it licensed and insured (eg. DRLs in some jurisdictions). If it's a diesel-powered surplus military G-wagen, it is almost guaranteed that you will have fuel delivery problems from all the microbial growth in the fuel tank. You will then spend another $5-7K getting the vehicle sorted out (changing out every fluid, replacing glow plugs, rebuilding injectors, cleaning fuel delivery system, replacing broken or worn components, new tires, body repairs, etc.). Then you'll have a sound, reliable military-issue G-wagen with a 24V electrical system and no creature comforts save for a heater. You will also have a new hobby. Yay!

Yes, costs for an ex-German depot model are from ~$15K to ~$18K without any modifications or upgrades like paint or tires. Costs to ship to the East Coast are ~$3K.

Regarding algae in the diesel and general poor condition, that can be an issue but, NATO depot vehicles seem to be in pretty good condition generally if you are selective in where you look and what you buy. A 'barn find' though would be a real basket case as you point out with high initial start-up costs.

Cost of ownership
Fortunately, Mercedes-Benz still stocks many parts and component rebuild kits for older G-wagens. There are also G-wagen specific indy part suppliers in both the EU and North America. Generally, M-B parts are expensive and some are outrageous ($3+K for a steering box). Some parts for older G-wagens are shared with same vintage M-B sedans. Once an old diesel G-wagen is properly sorted out, they don't leak (unlike a Landy), they are as reliable as a hammer (provided they receive loving, regular maintenance) and don’t cost much to own other than your time. Some more major maintenance tasks (e.g. wheel bearings or front axle rebuild) will require specialty tools or a trip to an indy M-B repair shop that knows their way around G-wagens. And thanks to the current ULSD motor fuels, you will be adding lubricity additives to every tankful of diesel.

Thanks, that pretty much sums up a lot of thoughts and concerns. Regarding fuel, why would Ultra-Low Sulphur Diesel be a problem in these engines? Sulphur isn't like lead in gasoline is it? Same with Bio-Diesel in general too, noting Brazil uses some plant fuels with good success too.

Maintenance concerns
Every G-wagen, from 1979 to the present, has a number of weak points such as front wheel bearings (if running non-OEM offset wheels or wheel spacers), steering knuckle swipe seals, kardan shaft, broken coil springs, cooling system and wiper arm spindle seals. G-wagens are prone to rust in specific areas (under the windshield seal, rocker panels, bottoms of doors, rear corner body panel seams, around tail lights, spring perches and shock mounts).

The rust spots are a primary concern for myself and many people in general. The other stuff is generally what I would call general maintenance and upkeep stuff. I'm surprised to hear the wheel bearings and steering components are so soft for a vehicle like this though, I guess it depends on how far you go with larger and heavier tires.

"Get home" concerns in remote areas
G-wagens predating MY 2001 had no CANBUS system so, theoretically, those are the most reliable ones. My 2011 G550 has CANBUS/control modules/relays out the wazoo and most problems it has had were electrical in nature yet it has never left me stranded. But my 250GD Wolf did leave me stranded when its 28-year-old right motor mount collapsed and the nylon radiator cooling fan touched the fan shroud, disintegrated and flung fan blade shrapnel through the radiator core. Pristine-looking old parts fail without advance warning. For the 250GD Wolf, as is the case for remote travel with any vehicle, an onboard spare parts inventory plus a carefully chosen toolset is mandatory. The trick is figuring out which pieces are most likely to let you down.

Yes, tools and reasonable repair support is very important when you are off the beaten path, whether in an Expedition 4x4 or on a dirt bike. A good pre-trip inspection will save many people a lot of grief out and about! ;) Hopefully, a bad motor mount and similar things would be found pre-trip just like brittle plastics and floppy body panels or parts.

Upgrade needs for ex-military vehicles
The 250GD Wolf, from an expedition travel terrain capability standpoint, lacks nothing. Even its corporate sibling, the Puch 230GE with only a rear locking diff, is pretty damned capable. The single most important upgrade for the 250GD Wolf is a copy of the Mercedes-Benz G-class electronic parts catalog (EPC). Owning a 250GD Wolf without the EPC is hopeless. The second most important upgrade is ….. TIRES. In the case of the 250GD Wolf, the military-issue tire was the Continental LM90 (225/75R16C); they are like hockey pucks and deadly on pavement. Definitely get a 24V portable air compressor (mine is a Viair). Any other upgrades would depend on your needs and wants. The 250GD Wolf has fairly uncomfortable vinyl-covered solid foam seats but upgrading to Scheel-mann seats with custom seat bases will be north of $3K. Some folks like to have tunes in their ex-military trucks and go to all sorts of trouble and expense with 24V stereo head units or 24V-12V converters. Me, I just use my smart phone and an ammo can that’s been converted into a Bluetooth speaker system by some talented US army veterans. Aircon? Yeah … no. Roll down the windows, roll up the soft top side/rear panels and keep forward momentum going.

Aftermarket stereos and such are not a concern of mine, especially with a bluetooth speaker and a cellphone/radio. Seats and other stuff are easy enough to tweak for most people without totally rebuilding the guts of the interior so, I'm thinking if interior upgrades are important (stereo, Air-Con, seats, etc.) a more modern Europa G500 based option would be a much better choice.

Regarding the Puch 230GE, Thanks! I have waffled on those off-and-on over the years but, having never seen or been around one always had me thinking I needed to step up a bit in a higher spec model. The gas engine would certainly be more responsive for most people!

Commercial vehicle options (i.e. EU used options)
Not sure what you’re asking here. Any older G-wagen which can be legally licensed for road use in the US under the 25-year-old restriction will definitely be sourced or has been previously sourced outside of North America. G-wagens have been used at airports, by fire/police/EMS departments and by forestry agencies in the EU so those could be considered as some commercial sources as an alternate to a military source.

I occasionally see G-Wagons of various types sold commercially to end users like farmers and other private parties. There was one in Greece that was used by a sheepherder that interested me but, the logistics or making the deal and getting it shipped were too much and too expensive. Civil municipality vehicles are another option with Ambulance models being particularly good options for Expedition conversions on the 'cheap'.

Sid Post

Observer
Aftermarket support for reasonable cost Expedition upgrades

Aftermarket hard parts availability for expo upgrading is pretty good for the G-wagen, even the older ones. Companies like ORC, G-Raid, LeTech and Tibus in Germany, plus Viking Offroad and G-wagenaccessories.com in North America offer pretty much everything from fender antenna mounts all the way up to lift kits and portal axle kits. Just don’t ask how much. Please don’t put a lift kit on Wolf … it’s just plain wrong.

Lift kits ... :eek:

Sacrilege! Slightly larger tires are about all I would consider and no monster truck impersonations!

Engine power

For more engine power, it’s ill-advised to add a turbo to the naturally-aspirated OM602 diesel motor found in the 250GD Wolf. You’ll cook it. As compared to their normally-aspirated diesel “twins”, Mercedes-Benz factory turbo-charged diesels have modified blocks with additional oil cooling on piston skirts. Some also have modified heads. Attempts at after-the-fact turbo installations always have issues with air intake and intercooling. If you want a turbo diesel G-wagen, start with a turbo diesel G-wagen. Those can be tweaked for even more power with larger injection pump elements and larger intercoolers.

Over fueling without heat take-away will kill many diesels. Additional piston skirt oiling and internal block changes were not something I was aware of. THANKS!

Freeway speeds

Yup. The 250GD Wolf can just barely maintain 60mph … on the flat. This is essentially a tractor motor coupled to a driveline with low gearing. Fitting 2.4” taller tires (235/85R16) on the 250GD Wolf will help a bit with upping the effective final ratio and top speed but it will be slower off the line and will lose a bit of bottom-end torque. My Wolf, on 215/85R16 (1.1” taller than stock) tires, is churning around 4100rpm at 60mph and, yeah … it’s howling pretty loud.

Yes, overly big tires will kill its off-tarmac performance for me. Also, anything gained in top speed on the flat roads will be lost once you start going up hills or mountain grades. Additional wheel weight and diameter without more engine power are going to be a real buzz-kill. What good is a G-Wagon that can't go up hills or go off-road? ?

Payload

Mercedes-Benz offers an entire line of progressive coil spring sets for any year of G-wagen (made by Sachs). Some are specifically for ride quality/handling (think AMG) while others address payload. The spring set for the armored G-wagen is the stiffest and has the highest payload but it makes any normal weight G-wagen ride like a buckboard. The 250GD Wolf is a small, heavy vehicle. Take less stuff along and be happy with its 1135lb payload capacity.

In general, I agree but, with a hard a shelter instead of a canvas top, ~700Kg isn't going to be enough to be safe on the road when you add a person or two and some groceries! And yes, too heavy springs on an unloaded vehicle can be brutal. ?

Hope this helps to sort out some questions and concerns about the 250GD Wolf. If you genuinely want a G-wagen expedition vehicle, here are 2 recommendations if you’re located in the US:

The higher cost recommendation is to look for a US-located 1999/2000 G500 LWB that was imported and federalized by Europa International. Be prepared to pay $45-50K. That vintage of G-wagen predates CANBUS, has comfort amenities, has a very reliable M113 naturally-aspirated V8 gasoline engine mated to a reliable 5-speed auto transmission, has 3 locking diffs, has plenty of power and torque, can lead the pack on freeways and can tow. No lift kit, upgrade tires to 32” or 33”, throw on a full roof rack with ladder, add some rocker protection and skid plates. Leave everything else bone stock.

The lower cost recommendation is to look for a US-located ex-Swiss military or ex-Austrian military Puch 230GE. Both Expedition Imports and Swiss Army Vehicles often have these in inventory priced in the $16-23K range and there’s no faffing around by you with importing. The 230GE’s have the dependable M102 4-cylinder gasoline motor and were typically equipped with a 4-speed auto transmission. The 230GE is peppier than 250GD Wolf and can more easily reach and maintain freeway speeds. The 230GE only has a rear locking diff but you’ll be that much closer to civilization when you eventually get stuck than if you had the Wolf’s additional front locking diff.

THANK YOU! The Puch 230GE is one I see occasionally and dismissed thinking it was basically a rear-area flat road support vehicle. It sounds like it might be worth some reconsideration. Leaded versus Unleaded gasoline though is likely to be a real problem.

If you go either way, you’ll be spending most of your spare time on the clubgwagen.com forum.

Cheers,
Arie

Hopefully it won't be too hard to sort out and make for a fun runabout capable of some nice backcountry adventures! ?

Last edited:

Roverchef

Adventurer
THE 230GE's work fine with unleaded fuel but are dogs with the 4-speed...5-speed conversion would be the 1st upgrade. Stick to the diesels if you want reliability and longevity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier