Evolution of power output of the 7.3 in 94-03 E350 vans

NeedsWork

Hello all,

I apologize for another 7.3 thread, but I have not been able to find the answer here or abroad and am hoping somebody can chime in. There is clear information that in the F250/350 trucks, the 7.3 underwent changes in the late 90s that increased the power output by roughly 10%, notably with the introduction of an intercooler. However, the E350 vans never received an intercooler, and I'm having trouble discerning if there is a significant difference in power output between a '94 and '03.

The root of my question in in trying to decide between a '96 and '03 E350 for a build platform. I understand that the '03 has the better 4R100 transmission and SD chassis, but I'm trying to target significant differences in the engine.

NeedsWork

Interesting stuff! Thanks for posting.

I was also able find this link

which seems to indicate that a 9% increase in HP and 15% increase in torque was gained in '98 due to engine modifications other than an intercooler, but it's hard to know whether these gains were realized in the E350. There seem to be a lot of rumors of detuning or different fuel mapping.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I have a 12/96 Ambulance with almost 18,000 hours and 250k miles. It gets exceptional fuel economy for a 9500+ brick. In 7 years I’ve given it oil changes, a new fuel filter, replaced the fuel bowl O-rings, replaced the faulty alternator it came with, redone the brakes, and new springs & shocks. I’ve been very happy with its power and performance. It’s somewhat of a hotrod.

My point… I’d go with the van that’s in the best shape, and has the least rust on the body and frame. Mileage is somewhat irrelevant; unless one has 50k and the other has 550k. And sometimes rigs with extremely low mileage have more problems than rigs with average mileage on them. High mileage rigs will need more tlc, but may be worthwhile for the right price.

For example, my rig was 1k USD. It’s has a replacement Ford transmission, and has been great. It doesn’t complain climbing to the top of a ski or sailing along at 75+ MPH.

iggi

Ian
>which seems to indicate that a 9% increase in HP and 15% increase in torque was gained in '98 due to engine modifications other than an intercooler, but it's hard to know whether these gains were realized in >the E350. There seem to be a lot of rumors of detuning or different fuel mapping.

Tuning and fuel mapping can both be modified easily. Injectors and engine internals, not so much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles