Evans coolant

Robthebrit

Explorer
What do people think of it?, Does it work? Does anybody use it?

From what I can figure out is that evans will be hotter than water for the exact same performance engine, water basically holds more engery that the evans. This is not a problem for the evans because it doesn't boil until 375 degrees, of course water boils at 212 or 245 at 15psi over pressure.

Is this good or bad? Of course your thermometer will read high maybe pegged by that is because the system is setup for water. Will the higher temperatures mean the electronics need to be reporgrammed (does not affect me)?

If the coolant is hotter than normal water there is a higher temperature gradient between the coolant and the outside air allowing more heat to be radiated - this should be a good thing. But by the same argument there is a smaller gradient between the oil and water temperature, is this a big deal? Some engines have oil/water heat exchangers, does this mean the oil will run hotter??.

Comments?

Rob

Erick Lihme

Observer
What do people think of it?, Does it work? Does anybody use it?
-Don't know anything about Evans, because I'm satisfied with OEM.

From what I can figure out is that evans will be hotter than water for the exact same performance engine, water basically holds more engery that the evans. This is not a problem for the evans because it doesn't boil until 375 degrees, of course water boils at 212 or 245 at 15psi over pressure.

-Yes it is, because water does hold much more energy. It has the highest specific gravity of (1), if I remember Chem 101. Running a higher percentage of water as allowed during the hot months will help cool the motor as it absorbs more energy from the hot motor and tranports it to the radiator. I dont believe there is a liquid more efficent than water for the job.

Is this good or bad? Of course your thermometer will read high maybe pegged by that is because the system is setup for water. Will the higher temperatures mean the electronics need to be reporgrammed (does not affect me)?
-[I]The motor will fry if it's hotter than it should be.
[/I]

If the coolant is hotter than normal water there is a higher temperature gradient between the coolant and the outside air allowing more heat to be radiated - this should be a good thing.
-Yes and no. A balance between the abilty to carry away heat and a reasonable difference in temps is needed. The coolant needs the help of water to attain a useful specific gravity, it's efficent abilty to carry away heat or cold.

But by the same argument there is a smaller gradient between the oil and water temperature, is this a big deal? Some engines have oil/water heat exchangers, does this mean the oil will run hotter??.
- B]Yes, it's big deal. The coolant is suppose to cool the oil, if it's hotter than the oil, it won't do that.

Comments?

Rob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94