EV charging for AGM Camper batteries

Healeyjet

Explorer
Is anyone aware of an EV charging system that I can use to charge the house AGM batteries on the Cruiser? We presently have a Samlex Evo charger/inverter. We have two alternators on the truck as well as two solar panels. We spend some time in urban areas and some with no idle laws. It would sure be nice on a cloudy day to pull up to an EV charging station and top up the house batteries!

Ward

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
You already have the solution, just carry a 120V cord and plug into any outlet. Trying to use an EV charging station is adding complexity where you don't need it. A fast charging station is going to be high voltage DC and it's going to require negotiating with the charger to mimic EV battery management. Then being high voltage DC you'd need an intermediate AC step that looks a lot what you get from the grid already that can be stepped down to your AGM DC bus.

Healeyjet

Explorer
Thanks DaveInDenver. I was hoping for some sort of rapid charging situation. On the road it isn't always easy to find an outlet. We boondock all of the time so finding a spot to charge is tough.
It sounds like it is an overly complicated issue. Maybe we should just buy a Tesla battery lol
Ward

WanderingBison

I’ve been looking into the same thing after seeing someone do this for a schoolie conversion, but after a few months and started losing hope.

Then, I found this site that seems to make all kinds of adapters to charge home brew EVs - https://www.tucsonev.com/

Now, I’m trying to find a way to use the 208/240 VAC with my Victron Multi charger/inverter.

I think it it’s possible - I’ll be following your progress :)

PS - This would be especially handy in Canadian National Parks where there are many free EV charging station that are under-utilized.

john61ct

Adventurer
Lead batteries tske minimum 7 hours to get back to 100% Full

which they need at least half their daily cycli g if you want decent longevity.

Even with kW available, AGM highest CAR past the first 10min might be 0.4C, and will trail down to half that within an hour, you might get to 85-90% within two hours

but you're still five hours away from Full.

If you want fast charging, go LFP or maybe LTO.

The DIY circuitry to properly pull from J1772 EVSE costs many hundreds, not counting the actual charger which you have.

Many stations will be for EV use only, if lots of House bank users cause delayz for EVs thzt will increase a lot.

Joe917

Explorer
Sounds like you need more solar, We lived full time with our rig 7 out of 9 years and only plugged in twice (when the truck was inside).
Leave the EV chargers for the EV's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles