Eurosonic's Montero 2.5Gen Build Thread

I'm going to try removing mine one day, just to see how it feels. But as of now, the truck is/will be used for overlanding, not really offroading. Let us hear your thoughts on post sway bar removal maneuvering.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Now few months after the body lift was done I noticed the upper radiator hose rubbing on the plastic engine cover.

80739614.jpg

Problem solved. :ylsmoke:

af6aa9a3.jpg

But is it beneficial for an overlanding vehicle? Ie. handling characteristics harmed or benefited while traveling in a loaded vehicle? etc

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
For strictly overlanding you might not need to remove it. I enjoy overlanding and the typical 4wheelin so its nice to have that extra stretch when going over rocks and such.
As far as handling Im pretty impressed how good it handles with the sway bar being off the vehicle. Just came back from a weekend trip to the mountains, so a loaded rig with all the camping gear handled pretty well on and off road. Of course having a sway bar is a bit more stable when going fast on turns but with a 33s and a body lift I take it easy on the turns either way so I don't really mind sacrificing the bar.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Yeah, on road, it's barely noticeable and off road, there's a lot to like during medium to high articulation obstacles.

Only place I'd caution anyone is in an emergency handling situation on road. 'Theoretically' there could also be additional liability for you since you've made your vehicle more unstable by removing it.

Silverwulf

Adventurer
I've had mine off for anout 6 months now. It does lean more in turns. The only time it felt sketchy was when I was headed up hwy1 to Gualala. There were some pretty tight hair pin turns around Myers grade. I had a bunch of camping gear on the roof rack (read: High center of gravity!) Having that weitght 7 feet in the air and no rear bar things got interesting. My solution was to slow the f DOWN. Funny part was my wife and kids stopped chattion and were white knuckeling the Oh S bars as there is no gaurd rail and if you were to go off the road its a long way down to the ocean!

poriggity

Explorer
This is an epic build so far.. Loving it. My inlaws have a 94 Montero that I am DYING to get my hands on to build, but I can't get them to sell it to me :(

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Here is a quick iphone vid from last weekend. Me climbing the easier part of Slickrock trail, nothing fancy, rest of the trail was way out of my league.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
....rest of the trail was way out of my league.
Nicely done. Unless the trail has changed dramatically you probably would have been fine. I did the slick rock in my 90 gen 1 4 door with a failing rear axle which broke mid trail but make it the rest of the way via a friendly strap from Lloyd Schwartz and Cap510.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Thanks.
Honestly I would give it a shot if I had another rig to help out just in case I got stuck. Oh well, maybe next time.

mrwizard

Adventurer
Euro, I've been an admirer of your Gen2.5 for some time now. Actually you and one other build inspired me to pursue the Montero. I'm looking at a '98 Gen2.5, but it's about 250 miles away. I can't get a straight answer out of the guy selling it (mostly because he's never taken it off-road), do all the '98 Gen2.5 Monteros have the rear diff lock or only those with the winter package? He's supposed to be sending me a picture of the center console tonight and, if I understand correctly, the stock switch should be next to the 12v plug, correct? Thanks for your build up. It certainly is inspiring.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Euro, I've been an admirer of your Gen2.5 for some time now. Actually you and one other build inspired me to pursue the Montero. I'm looking at a '98 Gen2.5, but it's about 250 miles away. I can't get a straight answer out of the guy selling it (mostly because he's never taken it off-road), do all the '98 Gen2.5 Monteros have the rear diff lock or only those with the winter package? He's supposed to be sending me a picture of the center console tonight and, if I understand correctly, the stock switch should be next to the 12v plug, correct? Thanks for your build up. It certainly is inspiring.

Thanks, this forum is a great resource for mods.
Not all 2.5gen's come with rear locker. Look out for a winter package, it should have a rear locker. The switch is next to the 12v plug below the stereo. Good luck on getting that 98, hopefully its what you want. Those are kind of hard to come by.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles