Eurosonic's Montero 2.5Gen Build Thread

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Yesterday finally cranked the torsion bars. Raised the front end bout 1.5 inches. So far so good, maybe will do the rear coil spacers as well.

IMG_0249copy.jpg

mrwizard

Adventurer
Looks super good. Is that loaded or unloaded? Every time I look at your wheels I fall further in love with them. Good Craigslist find.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Thats unloaded.

Wheels are nice but Im thinking of downsizing from 16" to 15. So these guys would probably need a new home.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Mr. Wizard has first dibs but I'm interested in the wheels as well should you elect to sell them. Will use them for street tires so I can save the MT's for off road use.

Looking at his last trail pics, the tires he's using are probably too stiff for the terrain he drives. Our trucks are relatively lightweight for the use of D or E rated tires in rocky terrain. That's my guess.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
I want to airdown on trails so a smaller rim would fit me best. Plus it seems like there isnt as much 33" tire options for a 16" than a 15" rim

About the same, actually....

There are basically two 33" tire sizes for 15" wheels. the 33x10.50 and the more common 12.50 width... but they're load range C. which will net your a more flexible tire offroad with lower pressure. For 16's you have 255 85 16 and the 285 75 16 I think both are available in E rated, while the 285 is C, D, and E rated.

If you have the cash, and intend to use the truck offroad a lot, check out the Interco tires. I'd love to fit 35 x10.50 Super Swamper SSRs or even the 34x10.50 LTBs. But alas, I don't really need them for what I do. But they'd look pretty dang cool.

Monterorider

Adventurer
I'm with LaOutback. Any more going forward there prob be more choices in 16 than 15. Most newer 2000+ trucks don't allow for 15 wheels. There is no problem airing down 16". I usually go to 12-15 PSI on trails. If you want to go lower like 5 you need bead locks anyway.

Yep. The only difference is that the D and E rated tires are significantly stiffer, particularly in the sidewall. Running 15psi in a C rated tire will provide more traction over an uneven surface than 15 psi in an E rated tire any day. An additional benefit of a E rated tire is that they are generally tougher than C's. But that additional stiffness and toughness contributes to a substantially heavier tire. Just depends on what is important to you I suppose. For me, I like C rated tires as they ride smoother at normal PSI.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Today did few minor things on the rig.
Picked up newish arm rests for from PickPull for $6 bucks for both side. Mine were beginning to look ugly.

Before

IMG_0029copy.jpg

After

IMG_0030copy.jpg

Mitsubishi put the seat heater switch in the most uncomfortable place to reach.
Solved this issue by rerouting to them up top, above the cup holders. I dont have a switch for fancy-shocks so just filled in the blank caps.
Now much more convenient to reach.

IMG_1243copy.jpg

IMG_1245copy.jpg

Montero factory horns sound pretty lame and squicky. So decided to swap them out for some spare factory horns our of a 2004 Audi S4, made by Hella. Now sound SOLID!

Stockers, right behind the front grill

IMG_1238copy.jpg

IMG_1240copy.jpg

New S4 horns installed

IMG_1241copy.jpg

here are the vids bofore and after

Old squicky sounding horn

New european horns

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member